* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-28  7:10 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-08-28  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> I use the perl program `atchange`[1] for continous preview. For simple
> documents, you can just run
>
>      atchange filename.tex "context --batch filename"

Thanks Aditja. Because I have no experience with Pearl: What to do with
this text-file of your link? Should I just copy it as text-file in the
same folder, where the contex files are stored in, or do I have to
install any pearl-interpreter first? Some instructions to get this
working here would be nice :)

Huseyin

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-29 18:36 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-08-29 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, "H. Özoguz" wrote:

>> I use the perl program `atchange`[1] for continous preview. For simple
>> documents, you can just run
>>
>>      atchange filename.tex "context --batch filename"
>
> Thanks Aditja. Because I have no experience with Pearl: What to do with this
> text-file of your link? Should I just copy it as text-file in the same
> folder, where the contex files are stored in, or do I have to install any
> pearl-interpreter first? Some instructions to get this working here would be
> nice :)

Well, latexmk is also a perl script, so if you can run latexmk, you
probably have perl installed. On a unix-like system, you can just download
the script, copy it somewhere in your $PATH, make it executable (chmod +x
filename), and just run `atchange filenme ...`.

Aditya

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-29 16:05   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-08-29 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:21:38 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, "H. Özoguz" wrote:
>
> > For LaTex there exists a tool, named "latexmk", which allows a
> > "preview continuous mode", that is to update the compiled pdf
> > automatically. It is really very helpful!
> >
> > Because it is open-source: It is possible to addapt this tool for
> > context, too? Maybe one of the programmers have time for this ... :)
>
> I use the perl program `atchange`[1] for continous preview. For
> simple documents, you can just run
>
>     atchange filename.tex "context --batch filename"
>
> For more complicated documents (depending on multiple files and
> figures), you can create a automate file (see [1] for description)
> and run
>
>     atchange automate
>
> [1]: http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/atchange.html
>
> Aditya

If you use the editor texworks you can maintain two side by side
windows, one for editing and one for viewing.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 19:25       ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2013-08-27 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mardi 27 août 2013 12:12:32 Thangalin a écrit :
> When using the "evince" PDF reader on Linux, reloading the PDF is as simple
> as:
>
>   context filename.tex -- Generate for the first time
>   evince filename.pdf  & -- Open the reader in the background
>
>   context filename.tex -- The evince process automatically refreshes with
Same here with 'okular' (it can be configured: so one can decide to not
refresh on file change).

--
Romain Diss
<romain.diss@yahoo.fr>

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 19:21 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-08-27 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-08-27 19:12     ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2013-08-27 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

When using the "evince" PDF reader on Linux, reloading the PDF is as simple
as:

  context filename.tex -- Generate for the first time
  evince filename.pdf  & -- Open the reader in the background

  context filename.tex -- The evince process automatically refreshes with
new content

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 13:16   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-27 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–27 Marco Patzer wrote:

>   while true do
>     inotifywait --event modify somefile.tex; context --batchmode somefile.tex
>   done

Better:

  file='somefile.tex'
  while inotifywait --event modify "$file"; do
    context --batchmode "$file"
  done

For BSDs/MacOS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kqueue
For Windows:    http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/atchange.html

Marco

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 13:04 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-27 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–27 "H. Özoguz" wrote:

> For LaTex there exists a tool, named "latexmk", which allows a
> "preview continuous mode", that is to update the compiled pdf
> automatically. It is really very helpful!

I don't know latexmk, but updating the pdf is a feature of the pdf
reader, not of context. If you want to re-run the compilation when
the file has changed, you can use the mechanisms your operating
system provides. Every OS has a mechanism to watch files. Here is a
Linux example

  while true do
    inotifywait --event modify somefile.tex; context --batchmode somefile.tex
  done

Marco

* [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 11:45 "H. Özoguz"