* Math fallback
@ 2013-07-30 16:55 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-07-30 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to use the fallback mechanism for math fonts? For example,
I am using Neo Euler for math which has a few missing glyphs. Can I use
Cambria (or Xits) as a fallback font for missing glyphs.

I am using the simplefonts module, but I am happy to write a typescript
file if that makes things easier. I do not really want to define a new
virtual font.

Aditya

* Re: Math fallback
@ 2013-07-31 11:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-31 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.07.2013 um 18:55 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> Is it possible to use the fallback mechanism for math fonts? For example, I am using Neo Euler for math which has a few missing glyphs. Can I use Cambria (or Xits) as a fallback font for missing glyphs.
>
> I am using the simplefonts module, but I am happy to write a typescript file if that makes things easier. I do not really want to define a new virtual font.

The simplefonts module is written on top of the typescript mechanism and there is nothing available at this level which can be used by the module. When you use the \setmathfont command simplefonts loads only one of the predefined typescripts.

Wolfgang

* Re: Math fallback
@ 2013-08-01  0:23         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-08-01  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> complex as original euler already misses many shapes and neo euler is
>>> work in progress
>>
>> That is the reason for my question if the font fallback mechanism can
>> work for math fonts also (as it does for, e.g., using different fonts
>> for arabic and english). That will be much easier than building a
>> virtual font.
>
> it's not that trivial as there are more dependencies and things like
> extensible characters and accents and ....

Yes, but those are not necessarily needed.

> (in fact, a virtual font has to be built, so it's then a wrapper around a
> similar vf builder as we already have; one option is to extend the current
> one with ranges)

Just having a basic fallback mechanism will be better than having no
fallback. For example Euler has no blackboard black, is missing some
arrows (not extensible ones, just regular arrows) and common symbols.

Aditya

* Re: Math fallback
@ 2013-07-31 21:07       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-07-31 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/31/2013 11:02 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>> I too would like to use Neo Euler for math but need some of the missing
>>> glyphs/symbols, like \angle and \triangle. What would the typescript
>>> look like to provide fallback to font for the symbols?
>>
>> complex as original euler already misses many shapes and neo euler is
>> work in progress
>
> That is the reason for my question if the font fallback mechanism can
> work for math fonts also (as it does for, e.g., using different fonts
> for arabic and english). That will be much easier than building a
> virtual font.

it's not that trivial as there are more dependencies and things like
extensible characters and accents and ....

(in fact, a virtual font has to be built, so it's then a wrapper around
a similar vf builder as we already have; one option is to extend the
current one with ranges)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Math fallback
@ 2013-07-31 21:02     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-07-31 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-07-31 20:05   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-07-31 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/31/2013 6:53 PM, John Kitzmiller wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2013, at 12:15 PM, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl
> <mailto:ntg-context-request@ntg.nl> wrote:
>

>> Am 30.07.2013 um 18:55 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu
>> <mailto:adityam@umich.edu>>:
>>
>>> Is it possible to use the fallback mechanism for math fonts? For
>>> example, I am using Neo Euler for math which has a few missing
>>> glyphs. Can I use Cambria (or Xits) as a fallback font for missing
>>> glyphs.
>>>
>>> I am using the simplefonts module, but I am happy to write a
>>> typescript file if that makes things easier. I do not really want to
>>> define a new virtual font.
>>
>> The simplefonts module is written on top of the typescript mechanism
>> and there is nothing available at this level which can be used by the
>> module. When you use the \setmathfont command simplefonts loads only
>> one of the predefined typescripts.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> I too would like to use Neo Euler for math but need some of the missing
> glyphs/symbols, like \angle and \triangle. What would the typescript
> look like to provide fallback to font for the symbols?

complex as original euler already misses many shapes and neo euler is
work in progress

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl