* Using Nibus Roman with MkIV
@ 2013-10-02 19:47 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-10-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to use Nibus Roman with MkIV.

I have to send a document where the font used **must** be Times New Roman
or Nimbus Roman. I tried using a clone (Termes), but I was told that I
must use Times New Roman or Nimbus Roman. (It is a matter of regulations,
so it is not possible for me to explain that Termes and Nibmus Roman are
essentially the same).

So, is it possible to use Nimbus Roman (type1 font) in MkIV?

Thanks,
Aditya

* Re: Using Nibus Roman with MkIV
@ 2013-10-02 20:17 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-02 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/2/2013 9:47 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use Nibus Roman with MkIV.
>
> I have to send a document where the font used **must** be Times New
> Roman or Nimbus Roman. I tried using a clone (Termes), but I was told
> that I must use Times New Roman or Nimbus Roman. (It is a matter of
> regulations, so it is not possible for me to explain that Termes and
> Nibmus Roman are essentially the same).
>
> So, is it possible to use Nimbus Roman (type1 font) in MkIV?

you can just force "file:somename.afm" .. mkiv will make a wide font of
it (map onto unicode) so you should be fine

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-10-03 14:29   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-10-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 10/2/2013 9:47 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to use Nibus Roman with MkIV.
>>
>> I have to send a document where the font used **must** be Times New
>> Roman or Nimbus Roman. I tried using a clone (Termes), but I was told
>> that I must use Times New Roman or Nimbus Roman. (It is a matter of
>> regulations, so it is not possible for me to explain that Termes and
>> Nibmus Roman are essentially the same).
>>
>> So, is it possible to use Nimbus Roman (type1 font) in MkIV?
>
> you can just force "file:somename.afm" .. mkiv will make a wide font of it
> (map onto unicode) so you should be fine

Thanks of lot!

I could not get protrosion to work (against a deadline, so I did not try
too hard), but the basic mechanism works well. For anyone else interested
in this, here is the typescript that I used:

\starttypescript [\s!serif] [times] [\s!name]
     \definefontsynonym [\s!Serif]             [file:utmr8a.afm]
     \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifItalic]       [file:utmri8a.afm]
     \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBold]         [file:utmb8a.afm]
     \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldItalic]   [file:utmbi8a.afm]
     \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifSlanted]      [file:utmri8a.afm]
     \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldSlanted]  [file:utmbi8a.afm]
     \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifCaps]         [file:texgyretermes-regular] [\s!features=\s!smallcaps]
\stoptypescript

ConTeXt does not ship with these afm files, so I just copied them from the
texlive directory to current working directory.

Thanks,
Aditya

* Offlist: Using Nibus Roman with MkIV
@ 2013-10-03 14:39     ` Wolfgang Schuster