* Example of Equivalent of Beamer with \onslide
       [not found] <618274173.481124.1477070212027.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-10-21 17:16 ` B.A.Lee
From: B.A.Lee @ 2016-10-21 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'm new to ConTeXt, having discovered it only last week. I have been using LaTeX for years, coming up with my own solutions to work around some of the typographical tweaks I  want. ConTeXt seems promising but I have yet to find an example of what I would like to produce.
I would like to see examples of equivalents of Beamer presentations using equivalents of \onslide and its variants for uncovering contents. I have read about steps (example file refuse to compile) and animation (does not seem to be what I want).
Also, I would like to see how mode can be used to allow me to have a screen version and a paper version of my content. I do not want a handout with 2*3 "screenshots". I am hoping to use a 12pt font size on a "small" 4:3 screen size which has the same line wrapping when put into an A4 landscape 2-column page. Beamerarticle can possibly do the job but it willeke quite a bit of tweaking to look nice.
When I ventured into LaTeX in the late 90's. I had helpful colleagues who passed me their files and I learnt a lot just from editing and amending the contents. Google helped in the recent years in resolving issues. As for ConTeXt, Google seems to be less helpful, partly because searching for ConTeXt often lead to other things (unfortunate that it's name is used in many other context). I am now a lone Latex user in my school and venturing into Context alone. I am hoping someone will share their sample files for me to learn from.
I will raise other requests in separate threads.
Many thanks in advance.
B.A.

* Re: Example of Equivalent of Beamer with \onslide
@ 2016-10-22 13:56   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-10-22 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> B.A.Lee <mailto:b.a.lee@rocketmail.com>
> 21. Oktober 2016 um 19:16
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to ConTeXt, having discovered it only last week. I have been
> using LaTeX for years, coming up with my own solutions to work around
> some of the typographical tweaks I  want. ConTeXt seems promising but
> I have yet to find an example of what I would like to produce.
>
> I would like to see examples of equivalents of Beamer presentations
> using equivalents of \onslide and its variants for uncovering
> contents. I have read about steps (example file refuse to compile) and
> animation (does not seem to be what I want).

Here is a example of the stepper:

\setupinteraction[state=start,click=no]

\usemodule[pre-stepwise]

\starttext

\StartSteps
     \starttabulate
     \NC Ward  \NC \input ward \NC\NR \FlushStep
     \NC Knuth \NC \input tufte \NC\NR \FlushStep
     \NC Zapf  \NC \input zapf \NC\NR \FlushStep
     \stoptabulate
\StopSteps

\page

\StartSteps
     \startitemize
     \startitem Ward  \stopitem \FlushStep
     \startitem Knuth \stopitem \FlushStep
     \startitem Zapf  \stopitem \FlushStep
     \stopitemize
\StopSteps

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Example of Equivalent of Beamer with \onslide
@ 2016-10-22 16:03     ` B.A.Lee
From: B.A.Lee @ 2016-10-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Wolfgang,
The example was most useful. I tested it on some math and I managed to use \FlushStep to reveal a formula step by step, something like:
\setupinteraction[state=start,click=no]

\usemodule[pre-stepwise]

\starttext

\StartSteps
     \startformula
         \frac{-b \FlushStep
         \pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac \FlushStep
         }}{\FlushStep
         2a} \FlushStep
     \stopformula
\StopSteps

\stoptext
I have looked around for more information on that module and related commands I could try but in vain. I was hoping I could figure things out and not need to bug you folks so much. So perhaps you could point me the way to this or help with the following questions:

- Is there a way to use the keyboard to advance the steps instead of clicking on the screen?- Is there a way to reverse the steps? Sometimes quite necessary when explaining things to students.- Is there a way to reveal the steps in an order different from the usual order, like showing the denominator first and then -b? Also very useful. I suspect there might be some way to work around this but the content in the source file may become rather mangled as a result.- Is there a way to make something appear in one step and then disappear a few steps later without affecting the position of other things following it?

Sorry, I cannot help but ask for the functionalities that came with Beamer. But these are the essential ones.
Thanks again!
@-->------ May you be happy and well! B.A. ------<--@

    On Saturday, 22 October 2016, 21:56, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

   B.A.Lee  21. Oktober 2016 um 19:16
Hi,

@ 2016-10-22 19:32       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2016-10-22 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, B.A.Lee wrote:

> Sorry, I cannot help but ask for the functionalities that came with
> Beamer. But these are the essential ones.

The ConTeXt stepping mechanism uses javascript and works only on Adobe
Acrobat. For that reason, jI use some homegrown macros for stepping
through my slides. These are not as feature rich as beamer macros, but get
the work done.

I had not designed them for stepping through math, but they can be used
for that purpose. For example, the following file:

\environment steps.tex
\setuppapersize[S5]

\starttext

\StartStepping 4
   \startformula
     \frac{ \ONLY 1 \phantom {-b  \ONLY 2 \phantom {{}\pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}} }}
          { 2a }
   \stopformula

\StopStepping

\stoptext

gives the attached pdf file. If you want to use them to step through math,
then it may be better to create a wrapper around \ONLY n \phantom to save
some typing.

These were meant for private consumption, so they are not documented. But
you can look at some examples of the resultant output at my website:
http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~amahaj1/talks.html

Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: step-example.pdf --]
[-- Type: APPLICATION/pdf, Size: 9027 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: APPLICATION/x-tex, Size: 3417 bytes --]

* Re: Example of Equivalent of Beamer with \onslide
       [not found] <426857992.1013280.1477443002844.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-10-26  0:50 ` B.A.Lee
From: B.A.Lee @ 2016-10-26  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context