* \placeformula and $$ doesn't work anymore
@ 2006-12-04 21:24 Hubertus Schmidt
From: Hubertus Schmidt @ 2006-12-04 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
for some weeks I need to tex formulas again and tried the way I used to do it:

\placeformula
$$
f(t)={1\over2\pi}\int_0^\infty e^{i(\omega t-kx)} dx
$$

It didn't work anymore?!? It doesn't place a number nor does it do the spacing
properly. It does work the "context" way using

\placeformula
\startformula
f(t)={1\over2\pi}\int_0^\infty e^{i(\omega t-kx)} dx
\stopformula

but to be honest that's quit a lot to type. "$$" is just nice and short and all
the old documents I wrote wont work anymore...
I run

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) (format=cont-en 2006.
12.4)  4 DEC 2006 21:46
ConTeXt  ver: 2006.11.29 09:55 MK II  fmt: 2006.12.4  int: english/english

I would be very glad for some hints. Many thanks in advance.

Hubertus

* Re: \placeformula and $$ doesn't work anymore
@ 2006-12-05 21:46 ` Aditya Mahajan
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-12-05 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Hubertus Schmidt wrote:

> Hi all,
> for some weeks I need to tex formulas again and tried the way I used to do it:
>
> \placeformula
> $$
> f(t)={1\over2\pi}\int_0^\infty e^{i(\omega t-kx)} dx
> $$
>
> It didn't work anymore?!? It doesn't place a number nor does it do the spacing
> properly. It does work the "context" way using
>
> \placeformula
> \startformula
> f(t)={1\over2\pi}\int_0^\infty e^{i(\omega t-kx)} dx
> \stopformula

This is a bug in doplaceformula. I do not know how to avoid it, but
the next code illustrates what is happening.

\def\dotest{
   \def\nextnext{$}%
   \ifx\next\nextnext
     Inside dispplaceformula\ldots % This always fails
   \else
     Inside dodoplaceformula\ldots
  \fi}

\def\test{\futurelet\next\dotest}

\test$$A = B$$

This prints "Inside dodoplaceformula" even though the next character
is \$.

So, the \next=\nextnext branch never matches. I do not know why this
happens, but a more robust check is needed in doplaceformula.

Aditya

* Re: \placeformula and $$ doesn't work anymore
@ 2006-12-05 22:09   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-12-05 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Hubertus Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > for some weeks I need to tex formulas again and tried the way I used to do it:
> >
> > \placeformula
> > $$
> > f(t)={1\over2\pi}\int_0^\infty e^{i(\omega t-kx)} dx
> > $$
> >
> > It didn't work anymore?!? It doesn't place a number nor does it do the spacing
> > properly. It does work the "context" way using
> >
> > \placeformula
> > \startformula
> > f(t)={1\over2\pi}\int_0^\infty e^{i(\omega t-kx)} dx
> > \stopformula
>
> This is a bug in doplaceformula. I do not know how to avoid it, but
> the next code illustrates what is happening.
>
> \def\dotest{
>    \def\nextnext{$}%
>    \ifx\next\nextnext
>      Inside dispplaceformula\ldots % This always fails
>    \else
>      Inside dodoplaceformula\ldots
>   \fi}
>
> \def\test{\futurelet\next\dotest}
>
> \test$$A = B$$
>
> This prints "Inside dodoplaceformula" even though the next character
> is \$.
>
> So, the \next=\nextnext branch never matches. I do not know why this
> happens, but a more robust check is needed in doplaceformula.

\ifcat seems to be working, but I do not really know how robust this
is?

\unprotect

\def\doplaceformula[#1][#2]% #2 = dummy, gobbles spaces
   {\def\redoplaceformula
      {\bgroup
       \ifx\next\bgroup
         \egroup \@EA\moreplaceformula % [ref]{}
       \else
%      \def\nextnext{$}%
%      \ifx\next\nextnext
       \ifcat\next$%
           \egroup \@EAEAEA\dispplaceformula % [ref]$$
         \else
           \egroup \@EAEAEA\dodoplaceformula % [ref]\start
         \fi
       \fi[#1]{}}%
    \futurelet\next\redoplaceformula}

\long\def\moreplaceformula[#1]#2#3#4% #2 dummy #4 gobbles spaces
   {\def\redoplaceformula
      {\bgroup
%      \def\nextnext{$}%
%      \ifx\next\nextnext
       \ifcat\next$%
         \egroup \@EA\dispplaceformula % [ref]$$
       \else
         \egroup \@EA\dodoplaceformula % [ref]\start
       \fi
       [#1]{#3}}%
    \futurelet\next\redoplaceformula#4}

\protect

\starttext

\placeformula[eq:test]  $$A = B$$

\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: \placeformula and $$ doesn't work anymore
@ 2006-12-05 22:53   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-12-05 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> This is a bug in doplaceformula. I do not know how to avoid it, but
> the next code illustrates what is happening.
>
> \def\dotest{
>    \def\nextnext{$}%
>    \ifx\next\nextnext
>      Inside dispplaceformula\ldots % This always fails
>    \else
>      Inside dodoplaceformula\ldots
>   \fi}
>
> \def\test{\futurelet\next\dotest}
>
> \test$$A = B$$
>
> This prints "Inside dodoplaceformula" even though the next character
> is \$.
>
> So, the \next=\nextnext branch never matches. I do not know why this
> happens, but a more robust check is needed in doplaceformula.

One is a macro, the other a \let character.  This would work:

   \def\dotest{
      \let\nextnext=$
      \ifx\next\nextnext
        Inside dispplaceformula\ldots % This always fails
      \else
        Inside dodoplaceformula\ldots
     \fi}

but the \ifcat is file as well, I think

Taco

* Re: \placeformula and $$ doesn't work anymore
@ 2006-12-15 20:07   ` Hubertus
From: Hubertus @ 2006-12-15 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again,
I've been offline for the last week, so I could'nd write. Thanks for your
answers!
Well my problem is, that I'm just some kind of ordinary user. I've no clue about
tex. I've had a look into the conre-mat.tex and tried to compare it with your
posts. But, alas, no success.
Is this a bug which is going to be fixed, or do I have to do it myself? If that
is the case, please give me more detailed informations about what I have to do.
Have a good weekend

@ 2006-12-16  8:32     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-12-16  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubertus wrote:
> Hello again,
> I've been offline for the last week, so I could'nd write. Thanks for your
> answers!
> Well my problem is, that I'm just some kind of ordinary user. I've no clue about
> tex. I've had a look into the conre-mat.tex and tried to compare it with your
> posts. But, alas, no success.
> Is this a bug which is going to be fixed, or do I have to do it myself? If that

Either Aditya's or my fix should be in the next release (next week?).

Taco

* Re: \placeformula and $$ doesn't work anymore
@ 2006-12-21 15:48       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-12-21 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hubertus wrote:
> > Hello again,
> > I've been offline for the last week, so I could'nd write. Thanks for your
> > answers!
> > Well my problem is, that I'm just some kind of ordinary user. I've no clue about
> > tex. I've had a look into the conre-mat.tex and tried to compare it with your
> > posts. But, alas, no success.
> > Is this a bug which is going to be fixed, or do I have to do it myself? If that
>
> Either Aditya's or my fix should be in the next release (next week?).

The current release fixes the problem.

Aditya