* Re: A couple of questions on heads.
@ 2007-01-03 16:28 Elliot Clifton
From: Elliot Clifton @ 2007-01-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:20:31 -0500 (EST)
> From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] A couple of questions on heads.
>
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Elliot Clifton wrote:
>
> > I'm typesetting a journal. I use \chapter to divide it into articles.
> > I've defined my own heads, and I need to redefine \appendix, however
> > despite reading the manual I cant get them behave as I want.
> >
> > Problems:
> >
> > 1. Each article may have appendices. I've tried defining my own
> > 'appendix' head to replace the default one, but I can't decide which
> > to use, should I derive from chapter or section? The problem with
> > using section as the base, is that the count from my previous sections
> > is inherited.  I don't want numbers of the form 1.1, 1.2, etc, either.
> > I want to number my appendices independently, starting from 1 without
> > the chapter  number. Also, I would like to use roman numerals.
>
> You can separate the appendices by a section block. For example
>
> % appendix is already a section block. By default, a section
> % block starts a new page, you may not want that in a journal
> \setupsectionblock[appendix][page=]
>

> % Change the conversion for sections in appendices.
> \setupsection
>    [section-3]
>    [appendixconversion=Romannumerals]
>

> \starttext
>
> \section{Test}
>
> \startappendices
> \section{An Appendix}
> \stopappendices
>
> \stoptext
>

> HTH,

Yep. Thanks.

I am now using section blocks to create meta-sections, so that inside
the body-matter sections have no numbers whilst the appendices do. It
works great.

One minor problem though. I need the appendices to have labels, like:
Appendix I, etc..

\setuplabeltext[appendix=Appendix] does not work in this situation
what is the correct way of doing it?

Thanks,

Elliot

* Re: A couple of questions on heads.
@ 2007-01-03 17:32 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-01-03 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Elliot Clifton wrote:

> > Message: 8
> > Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:20:31 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
> > Subject: Re: [NTG-context] A couple of questions on heads.
> >
> > On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Elliot Clifton wrote:
> >
> > > I'm typesetting a journal. I use \chapter to divide it into articles.
> > > I've defined my own heads, and I need to redefine \appendix, however
> > > despite reading the manual I cant get them behave as I want.
> > >
> > > Problems:
> > >
> > > 1. Each article may have appendices. I've tried defining my own
> > > 'appendix' head to replace the default one, but I can't decide which
> > > to use, should I derive from chapter or section? The problem with
> > > using section as the base, is that the count from my previous sections
> > > is inherited.  I don't want numbers of the form 1.1, 1.2, etc, either.
> > > I want to number my appendices independently, starting from 1 without
> > > the chapter  number. Also, I would like to use roman numerals.
> >
> > You can separate the appendices by a section block. For example
> >
> > % appendix is already a section block. By default, a section
> > % block starts a new page, you may not want that in a journal
> > \setupsectionblock[appendix][page=]
> >

> > % Change the conversion for sections in appendices.
> > \setupsection
> >    [section-3]
> >    [appendixconversion=Romannumerals]
> >

> > \starttext
> >
> > \section{Test}
> >
> > \startappendices
> > \section{An Appendix}
> > \stopappendices
> >
> > \stoptext
> >

> > HTH,
> >

> Yep. Thanks.
>
> I am now using section blocks to create meta-sections, so that inside
> the body-matter sections have no numbers whilst the appendices do. It
> works great.
>
> One minor problem though. I need the appendices to have labels, like:
> Appendix I, etc..
>
> \setuplabeltext[appendix=Appendix] does not work in this situation
> what is the correct way of doing it?

You also need to tell context to use the labeltext, by saying

\setuphead
   [section]
   [appendixlabel=appendix,
        placehead=yes]

% Make sure that \setuplabeltext[section=] is empty.
% By default it is empty.

Aditya

* Re: A couple of questions on heads.
@ 2007-01-03 21:09 Elliot Clifton
From: Elliot Clifton @ 2007-01-03 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:32:30 -0500 (EST)
> From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] A couple of questions on heads.
>
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Elliot Clifton wrote:
>

> > > Message: 8
> > > Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:20:31 -0500 (EST)
> > > From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
> > > Subject: Re: [NTG-context] A couple of questions on heads.

> > > You can separate the appendices by a section block. For example
> > >
> > > % appendix is already a section block. By default, a section
> > > % block starts a new page, you may not want that in a journal
> > > \setupsectionblock[appendix][page=]
> > >

> > > % Change the conversion for sections in appendices.
> > > \setupsection
> > >    [section-3]
> > >    [appendixconversion=Romannumerals]
> > >

> > > \starttext
> > >
> > > \section{Test}
> > >
> > > \startappendices
> > > \section{An Appendix}
> > > \stopappendices
> > >
> > > \stoptext
> > >

> > > HTH,
> > >

> > Yep. Thanks.
> >
> > I am now using section blocks to create meta-sections, so that inside
> > the body-matter sections have no numbers whilst the appendices do. It
> > works great.
> >
> > One minor problem though. I need the appendices to have labels, like:
> > Appendix I, etc..
> >
> > \setuplabeltext[appendix=Appendix] does not work in this situation
> > what is the correct way of doing it?
>
> You also need to tell context to use the labeltext, by saying
>
> \setuphead
>    [section]
>    [appendixlabel=appendix,
>         placehead=yes]
>
> % Make sure that \setuplabeltext[section=] is empty.
> % By default it is empty.

Thanks. That does the trick.

* Re: A couple of questions on heads.
@ 2007-01-03  1:20 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-01-03  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Elliot Clifton wrote:

> I'm typesetting a journal. I use \chapter to divide it into articles.
> I've defined my own heads, and I need to redefine \appendix, however
> despite reading the manual I cant get them behave as I want.
>
> Problems:
>
> 1. Each article may have appendices. I've tried defining my own
> 'appendix' head to replace the default one, but I can't decide which
> to use, should I derive from chapter or section? The problem with
> using section as the base, is that the count from my previous sections
> is inherited.  I don't want numbers of the form 1.1, 1.2, etc, either.
> I want to number my appendices independently, starting from 1 without
> the chapter  number. Also, I would like to use roman numerals.

You can separate the appendices by a section block. For example

% appendix is already a section block. By default, a section
% block starts a new page, you may not want that in a journal
\setupsectionblock[appendix][page=]

% Change the conversion for sections in appendices.
\setupsection
   [section-3]
   [appendixconversion=Romannumerals]

\starttext

\section{Test}

\startappendices
\section{An Appendix}
\stopappendices

\stoptext

> 2. I derived \Author from \section with expectation that
> \setupheadertexts[Papertitle][Author] would yield a header containing
> the author's name and the paper's title, however I get the title of
> the most recent section instead of the author. What can I do about
> this?

You need not redrive \Author from section. You can use use totally
different markings, as shown below.

% Define your own marking.

\definemarking[Papertitle]
\definemarking[Author]

% Set that marking.

\marking[Papertitle]{This is a \CONTEXT\ example}
\marking[Author]{Aditya Mahajan}

% Allow ConTeXt to do the rest :-)

\setupheadertexts[Papertitle][Author]

\starttext test \stoptext

HTH,

Aditya

* A couple of questions on heads.
@ 2007-01-02 23:18 Elliot Clifton
From: Elliot Clifton @ 2007-01-02 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm still a relative newbie. I enjoy using ConTeXt and have achieved
some great results with it, but some issues still trip me up.

[...]

thanks,

Elliot