* Can't create more than about 240 footnotes
@ 2007-01-23  3:32 Mike Bird
From: Mike Bird @ 2007-01-23  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I run out of space around the 240th footnote in a document.  It appears
that ConTeXt may be reloading or redefining a footnote font for each
footnote or footnote number.

Is this a known problem with a known solution?

Thanks,

--Mike Bird

references      : unknown reference [][fnt:t:240]
references      : unknown reference [][fnt:f:240]
references      : unknown reference [][fnt:t:241]
references      : unknown reference [][fnt:f:241]
! Font \*10.4ptrmtfrm*=ptmr8t at 10.4pt not loaded: Not enough room left.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \let
\localrelativefontsiz...

\fontstrategy ...ame #1\csname #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont
\fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                  \relax \fi ...

* Re: Can't create more than about 240 footnotes
@ 2007-01-23  4:30 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-01-23  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Mike Bird wrote:

> I run out of space around the 240th footnote in a document.  It appears
> that ConTeXt may be reloading or redefining a footnote font for each
> footnote or footnote number.
>
> Is this a known problem with a known solution?

No. This works fine here

\starttext
\dorecurse{500}
{\input knuth\footnote[note:\recurselevel]{this is a
footnote}\endgraf}
\stoptext

Using ConTeXt  ver: 2007.01.18 12:57 MKII  fmt: 2007.1.18

Aditya

* Re: Can't create more than about 240 footnotes
@ 2007-01-23 16:56   ` Mike Bird
From: Mike Bird @ 2007-01-23 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 22 January 2007 20:30, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Mike Bird wrote:
> > I run out of space around the 240th footnote in a document.  It appears
> > that ConTeXt may be reloading or redefining a footnote font for each
> > footnote or footnote number.
> >
> > Is this a known problem with a known solution?
>
> No. This works fine here
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{500}
> {\input knuth\footnote[note:\recurselevel]{this is a
> footnote}\endgraf}
> \stoptext

Hi Aditya,

Thanks for checking.  I've been unable as yet to create a simple
test case.  It must be a combination of things.  I'll post a test
case when I have one.

Thanks,

--Mike Bird

* Re: Can't create more than about 240 footnotes
@ 2007-01-25 16:15 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-01-25 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I may be off the mark, but I would guess that the two errors are, in
fact, unrelated. I have seen the error about "not enough room left"
with some fonts that have very large kerning tables (such as Garamdon
Premier Pro). The solution was to locate your texmf.cnf and augment
the value of font_mem_size I have 1200000, but it can be up to
4000000. Try that, and I hope that the footnote error will go away if
ConTeXt is able to finish all needed runs. You can search for
font_mem_size in the archives, and you'll see quite a few threads!

HTH

Thomas