* Math symbols in Gentium
@ 2007-03-21  8:13 Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2007-03-21  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear ConTeXt users,

I have found Gentium to be a nice free alternative font for my
documents. I was wondering why the Greek symbols don't get used in
documents which use Gentium. They sem to use the same cmr fonts for
the math parts. Is it expected to work that way, or is there a way to
get the Gentium symbols?

My type-sil-gentium.tex has this line, if that's relevant.

\definetypeface[sil-gentium][mm][math][default][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,
462, Jamuna Hostel,

* Re: Math symbols in Gentium
@ 2007-03-24 13:04 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-03-24 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-03-21 um 09:13 schrieb Kumar Appaiah:

> I have found Gentium to be a nice free alternative font for my
> documents. I was wondering why the Greek symbols don't get used in
> documents which use Gentium. They sem to use the same cmr fonts for
> the math parts. Is it expected to work that way, or is there a way to
> get the Gentium symbols?
>
> My type-sil-gentium.tex has this line, if that's relevant.
>
> \definetypeface[sil-gentium][mm][math][default][default][encoding=
> \defaultencoding]

Only a hint, because nobody answered:
- the definetypeface line (looks like mine...) chooses the "default"
math font, i.e. CM or LM
- Greek characters are always taken from the math font (remember:
normal TeX knows only 256 characters per font)
- I don't know much about math fonts (seldom need them), but I guess
you must create a virtual font that takes Greek from Gentium and the
other symbols e.g. from Euler (IMHO Euler looks softer than CM and
thus fits better with Gentium).
- see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math#Math_Fonts, esp. http://
homepage.mac.com/atl/tex/EulerContext.pdf

I'm not aware of a tutorial (or other simple/compiled docs) about
"how do I create my own math font for ConTeXt".

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Math symbols in Gentium
@ 2007-04-10 15:57 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Kumar Appaiah wrote:

> Dear ConTeXt users,
>
> I have found Gentium to be a nice free alternative font for my
> documents. I was wondering why the Greek symbols don't get used in
> documents which use Gentium. They sem to use the same cmr fonts for
> the math parts. Is it expected to work that way, or is there a way to
> get the Gentium symbols?

You will need to create a gentium math mappings on lines of math-eul,
math-fou, etc. Lets say, you call this family sil.

By default greek letters are taken from the mi and mr family. The
following may work:

\definefamilysynonyms [sil] [lcgreek] [tf]
% or the appropriate gentium greek font name instead of tf

\startmathcollection [sil]

\definemathsymbol [alpha] [nothing] [lcgreek] ["08]
% Use the greek font location in Gentium.
% Add similar settings for other greek letters. Look at
% math-tex.

\stopmathcollection

and then

\definetypeface[sil-gentium][mm][math][sil][sil][encoding=\defaultencoding]

Hopefully, this will work.

Aditya