* Hanging punctuation is impressive
       [not found] <mailman.4985.1176586566.17432.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-04-14 23:36 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-14 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello,

I've just read a about hanging punctuation in Hans' Typographic Programming manual. It is very impressive; now I understand one more cause why Word documents look so ugly. :)

Unfortunatelly, I cannot try those examples by myself, since I run TeXLive2007 that don't have Palatino font preinstalled and I'm confident only with MiKTeX in font installing issues.

Is it possible to use this feature with XeTeX? Or should I impatiently wait for LuaTeX?

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: Hanging punctuation is impressive
@ 2007-04-15  0:46   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-04-15  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just read a about hanging punctuation in Hans' Typographic
> Programming manual. It is very impressive; now I understand one more
> cause why Word documents look so ugly. :)
>
> Unfortunatelly, I cannot try those examples by myself, since I run
> TeXLive2007 that don't have Palatino font preinstalled and I'm
> confident only with MiKTeX in font installing issues.

You do not need Palatino to use hanging puntuation. Hanging
punctuation can be used with any font. The wiki has instructions on
how to use hanging punctuation with other fonts.

> Is it possible to use this feature with XeTeX? Or should I impatiently wait for LuaTeX?

>From what I understand, character expansion can not be used with
XeTeX. I am not sure about character protrusion. Since LuaTeX is
supposed to pdftex2, I am sure that it will support all the features
of pdftex, so hanging punctuation will be supported.

Aditya