* an ugly  bug
@ 2007-05-20 18:52 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-05-20 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear syndicate,

This is an ugly bug; The right kerning of the the numeral '1' is really
bad:

=======================
\usetypescript[modern-base][texnansi]  % a simplified latin-modern
typescript
\usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[reset]
\setupbodyfont[modern,11pt]

\noheaderandfooterlines

\starttext
1932 19 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 10

11 21 31 41 51 61 71 81 91 01
\stoptext
=======================

pdf attached. Uses

ConTeXt  ver: 2007.04.26

Has anyone else noticed this?

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

[-- Attachment #2: oldstyle.pdf --]

* Re: an ugly  bug
@ 2007-05-21 10:43 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-05-21 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear syndicate,
>
> This is an ugly bug; The right kerning of the the numeral '1' is really
> bad:

The latin-modern-os typescript uses the widths of the table figures
with the oldstyle shapes, because latin modern does not ship with
correct metrics for oldstyle digits.

Best wishes,

Taco

* Re: an ugly  bug
@ 2007-05-21 22:12   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-05-21 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 May 2007 04:43:07 -0600, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> Dear syndicate,
>>
>> This is an ugly bug; The right kerning of the the numeral '1' is really
>> bad:
>
> The latin-modern-os typescript uses the widths of the table figures
> with the oldstyle shapes, because latin modern does not ship with
> correct metrics for oldstyle digits.

So it's an lm bug then. Any possibility of getting it fixed, or sending
the maintainers an urgent note (might be more effective coming from you or
Hans)?

I have a mission-critical job (journal) that has depended on old figures
for years, and cm is legacy so this needs to be fixed... this job is due
to the publisher this Thursday!

Best
Idris

--

@ 2007-05-22  7:39     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-05-22  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 04:43:07 -0600, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>>> Dear syndicate,
>>>
>>> This is an ugly bug; The right kerning of the the numeral '1' is really
>>> bad:
>> The latin-modern-os typescript uses the widths of the table figures
>> with the oldstyle shapes, because latin modern does not ship with
>> correct metrics for oldstyle digits.
>
> So it's an lm bug then. Any possibility of getting it fixed, or sending
> the maintainers an urgent note (might be more effective coming from you or
> Hans)?

If you want these metrics, it makes sense to drop them a note. But no
way are they going to create new metrics for you before next Thursday,
so we had better come up with something else. I can create a bunch of
metrics for you, but I do not have time to create hundreds of these
by hand, so tell me: are you using 'modern-base, texnansi' in your
actual project as well?

Taco

* Re: an ugly  bug
@ 2007-05-22 14:49       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-05-22 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

On Tue, 22 May 2007 01:39:55 -0600, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
wrote:

>>> The latin-modern-os typescript uses the widths of the table figures
>>> with the oldstyle shapes, because latin modern does not ship with
>>> correct metrics for oldstyle digits.
>>
>> So it's an lm bug then. Any possibility of getting it fixed, or sending
>> the maintainers an urgent note (might be more effective coming from you
>> or
>> Hans)?
>
> If you want these metrics, it makes sense to drop them a note. But no
> way are they going to create new metrics for you before next Thursday,
> so we had better come up with something else. I can create a bunch of
> metrics for you, but I do not have time to create hundreds of these
> by hand, so tell me: are you using 'modern-base, texnansi' in your
> actual project as well?

Here is my exact setup for the project:

=====================
\usetypescript[serif,sans,mono][hanging][hz,normal]
\setupalign[hz,hanging]
\usetypescript[modern-base][texnansi]  % a simplified latin-modern
typescript
\usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[reset]
\setupbodyfont[modern,11pt]
=====================

2 problems:

i)  bad kerning (subject of this thread);

ii) \type gives way to complaints about missing numerals in lmtt10 (see
other thread "oldstyle bug"). Apparently the <numeral>.oldstyle glyphs
have been renamed <numeral>.taoldstyle. WHY ON EARTH would they do that?!?
Didn't the maintainers realize this would break things? It certainly makes
encoding font collections more difficult.

This is a journal so I need to maintain consistency: can't go back to
upright.

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Latin Modern bug in lm-texnansi-os.enc
@ 2007-05-22 19:34         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-05-22 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bogusław Jackowski

Hi Jacko,

On the ConTeXT mailing list, Idris posted some messages because he was
trying to use oldstyle numerals in the latest Latin Modern release,
and was experiencing two pretty big problems:

   * really bad kerning around the oldstyle numerals
   * pdftex generated errors for the typewriter fonts, complaining
     "glyph `one.oldstyle' undefined" etc.

The implementation of 'automatic' oldstyle numbers in ConTeXt uses a
set of encoding files that used to ship with LM (lm-xxxxxx-os.enc).
By way of a map file fragment, this allows to switch the fonts
'en masse' from lining to oldstyle (and back) without the need for
special metric files, which is a pretty nice feature.

Those encoding files now apparently obsolete: they still refer to
glyphs named e.g. `one.oldstyle', whereas in the current release of
the LM fonts it really should be `one.taboldstyle'.

While writing a bug report, I noticed that these encoding files are no
longer in the font distribution (They are still included on texlive2007,
but I don't know if anybody  except ConTeXt attempts to use them).

Is this trick to get oldstyle now officially unsupported? That would
be a shame, because there are no oldstyle-using TFM files in the LM
distribution either ...

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: an ugly  bug
@ 2007-05-22 23:40         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-05-22 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi Taco,

>>> So it's an lm bug then. Any possibility of getting it fixed, or sending
>>> the maintainers an urgent note (might be more effective coming from you
>>> or
>>> Hans)?
>>
>> If you want these metrics, it makes sense to drop them a note. But no
>> way are they going to create new metrics for you before next Thursday,
>> so we had better come up with something else. I can create a bunch of
>> metrics for you, but I do not have time to create hundreds of these
>> by hand, so tell me: are you using 'modern-base, texnansi' in your
>> actual project as well?
>
> Here is my exact setup for the project:
>
> =====================
> \usetypescript[serif,sans,mono][hanging][hz,normal]
> \setupalign[hz,hanging]
> \usetypescript[modern-base][texnansi]  % a simplified latin-modern
> typescript
> \usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[reset]
> \setupbodyfont[modern,11pt]
> =====================
>
> 2 problems:
>
> i)  bad kerning (subject of this thread);
>
> ii) \type gives way to complaints about missing numerals in lmtt10 (see
> other thread "oldstyle bug"). Apparently the <numeral>.oldstyle glyphs
> have been renamed <numeral>.taoldstyle. WHY ON EARTH would they do that?!?
> Didn't the maintainers realize this would break things? It certainly makes
> encoding font collections more difficult.
>
> This is a journal so I need to maintain consistency: can't go back to
> upright.

Maybe as a temporary workaround, try to get old lmodern files and use
them instead. I do not know if they are archived somewhere or not.

Aditya