* merging data from four files in one document
@ 2007-09-19 12:47 Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2007-09-19 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I try to merge data from four files in one document. The source files
are simple text files, each with 420 numbered lines of text. I have
created a simple natural table with cells for the different pieces of
data. I would like to make one document with 420 tables, each with the
right data from the four source files (so Table 1 with data from line 1
from file One and line 1 from file Two and line 1 from file Three and
line 1 from file Four, and next Table 2 with data from line 2 from file
One and line 2 from file Two et cetera...) What is the best way to
automate this process?

Thanks,

Jelle

* Re: merging data from four files in one document
@ 2007-09-19 13:48 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-09-19 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Jelle Huisman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to merge data from four files in one document. The source files
> are simple text files, each with 420 numbered lines of text. I have
> created a simple natural table with cells for the different pieces of
> data. I would like to make one document with 420 tables, each with the
> right data from the four source files (so Table 1 with data from line 1
> from file One and line 1 from file Two and line 1 from file Three and
> line 1 from file Four, and next Table 2 with data from line 2 from file
> One and line 2 from file Two et cetera...) What is the best way to
> automate this process?

Write a script in your favourite language to create the 420 natural
tables. Then call your script from ConTeXt and then use \write18 or
\executesystemcommand to run it (See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/executesystemcommand and
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Write18), and then \input the file that
is created.

You can also do the whole thing in TeX, but IMHO it is not worth the
effort. An alternative may be to use LuaTeX, where you write your
script in lua, and execute it directly in luatex. This will have a
slight speed advantage.

Aditya

* Re: merging data from four files in one document
@ 2007-09-20  8:42   ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2007-09-20  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)