From: Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
Subject: Version control tags in context (was Logos in context / Miscellaneous questions)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:15:49 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 17/09/2007, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Edd Barrett wrote:
>>>
>>> B) Is there an equivilent to the RCS package for latex. Basically it
>>> parses version control tags from CVS/RCS.
>>
>> There are a couple of RCS packages for LaTeX. Can you elaborate on
>> what functionality you need. Most of it is pretty straightforward to
>> port to ConTeXt.
>
> I used to use it to insert tags without all the crud around it. So for
> example a revision  id directly from CVS looks like this "$Revision:
> 1.4$" (no quotes) and I used to use \RCSRevision which would expand to
> just "1.4". It's probably quote simple, but would require research (I
> have but merely scratched the surface of TeX/Context).

Here is a very preliminary version.

\def\defineVERSION
   {\dosingleargument\dodefineVERSION}

\def\dodefineVERSION[#1]%
   {\dododefineVERSION#1}

\def\dododefineVERSION$#1: #2$%
   {\setvalue{VERSION:#1}{#2}}

\def\getVERSION#1{\getvalue{VERSION:#1}}

\defineVERSION[$Revision: 1.4$]

\defineVERSION
 	[$File: something$]

\starttext
This file, \getVERSION{File}, is at version \getVERSION{Revision}
\stoptext

I changed the interface to make it more ConTeXtish. AFAIU version
control, this should work with RCS, CVS, and subversion. It is not too
hard to extend this to $Data:$ and $Id:$.

Aditya