* starttabulate vs starttable
@ 2007-10-04 22:32 frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2007-10-04 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hi there,

please consider the following minimal examples:

\starttext
\starttable[|l|l|l|]
\NC MidE \VL early ModE	\VL ModE  \NC \SR \HL
\NC ge:s \VL gi:s       \VL geese \NC \FR
\NC na:m \VL ne:minimal	\VL name  \NC \MR
\NC mi:s \VL mays	\VL mice  \NC \LR
\stoptable

\starttabulate[|l|l|l|]
\NC MidE \NC early ModE \NC ModE  \NC \NR \HL
\NC ge:s \NC gi:s       \NC geese \NC \NR
\NC na:m \NC ne:minimal	\NC name  \NC \NR
\NC mi:s \NC mays	\NC mice  \NC \NR
\stoptabulate
\stoptext

the tabulate example is basicly the same without
the vertical lines, which it seems like it can't do,
i get an ! Undefined control sequence.

but \HL seems to work (and \VL not).
tabulate is very lightly documented so i am not sure
which table command works there and which not.

i'd like to use tabulate instead of table because
of the spacing.  i dont need to stretch the content
like table does.  this is a small inline "table"
between 2 paragpraphs, tabulate seems more elegant
to me here.

Han,
it would be nice if tabulate could handle VL,
that would make tabulate even more useful.
pretty please :D

-f
--
what we do not understand we do not possess. -- goethe

* Re: starttabulate vs starttable
@ 2007-10-04 23:41 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-10-04 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> the tabulate example is basicly the same without
> the vertical lines, which it seems like it can't do,
> i get an ! Undefined control sequence.

  I really don't know much about tabular material in ConTeXt, but from
the very first line of http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tabulate I would
assume that this is indeed a feature (no vertical lines in tabulate).

	Arthur

* Re: starttabulate vs starttable
@ 2007-10-05  2:55 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-10-05  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, frantisek holop wrote:

> hi there,
>
> please consider the following minimal examples:
>
> \starttext
> \starttable[|l|l|l|]
> \NC MidE \VL early ModE	\VL ModE  \NC \SR \HL
> \NC ge:s \VL gi:s       \VL geese \NC \FR
> \NC na:m \VL ne:minimal	\VL name  \NC \MR
> \NC mi:s \VL mays	\VL mice  \NC \LR
> \stoptable
>
> \starttabulate[|l|l|l|]
> \NC MidE \NC early ModE \NC ModE  \NC \NR \HL
> \NC ge:s \NC gi:s       \NC geese \NC \NR
> \NC na:m \NC ne:minimal	\NC name  \NC \NR
> \NC mi:s \NC mays	\NC mice  \NC \NR
> \stoptabulate
> \stoptext
>
> the tabulate example is basicly the same without
> the vertical lines, which it seems like it can't do,
> i get an ! Undefined control sequence.

Right now, tabulate does not support vertical lines. It is a nice
feature to have. I know that the style guide says that one should not
use vertical rules, but I feel that there I cases when I need them.

> but \HL seems to work (and \VL not).
> tabulate is very lightly documented so i am not sure
> which table command works there and which not.
>
> i'd like to use tabulate instead of table because
> of the spacing.  i dont need to stretch the content
> like table does.  this is a small inline "table"
> between 2 paragpraphs, tabulate seems more elegant
> to me here.

Actually, table also works for this kind of thing. The place where
tabulate is really needed is when you want automatic width for
paragraphs.

You can make table squeeze content vertically by saying

\setuptables[depth=0.3,height=0.6]

The default is height=0.8, depth=0.4. Play around with these values.

> Han,
> it would be nice if tabulate could handle VL,
> that would make tabulate even more useful.

+1.

Aditya

* Re: starttabulate vs starttable
@ 2007-10-05  2:57   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-10-05  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>> the tabulate example is basicly the same without
>> the vertical lines, which it seems like it can't do,
>> i get an ! Undefined control sequence.
>
>  I really don't know much about tabular material in ConTeXt, but from
> the very first line of http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tabulate I would
> assume that this is indeed a feature (no vertical lines in tabulate).

Actually, core-tbl.tex says

%  \VL    as soon as needed
%  color  as soon as needed

Aditya

* Re: starttabulate vs starttable
@ 2007-10-05  3:04   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-10-05  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, frantisek holop wrote:

>> i'd like to use tabulate instead of table because
>> of the spacing.  i dont need to stretch the content
>> like table does.

Compare:

\setuptables[depth=0.2,height=0.8]
%\tracetablestrue
     \starttext
     \starttable[s(1em)o0|l|l|l|]
     % And I thought that regex were hard to read :)
     \NC MidE \NC early ModE     \NC ModE  \NC \AR \HL
     \NC ge:s \NC gi:s       \NC geese \NC \AR
     \NC na:m \NC ne:minimal     \NC name  \NC \AR
     \NC mi:s \NC mays   \NC mice  \NC \AR