* a question on setuptex
@ 2017-02-17 22:38 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-02-17 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

would it be possible that a 32bit ConTeXt Suite can be used with a 64bit
architecture in Linux?

Sorry, but yesterday I was surprised to see that setuptex isn’t able to
find any binaries in Linux if they are 32bit and the processor is 64bit.

Of course, it makes sense in that case that a ConTeXt Suite with 64bit
binaries is preferred. But as a fallback, 32bit binaries should be fine.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: a question on setuptex
@ 2017-02-17 22:46 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2017-02-17 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 23:38:09 +0100
Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:

> would it be possible that a 32bit ConTeXt Suite can be used with a
> 64bit architecture in Linux?
>
> Sorry, but yesterday I was surprised to see that setuptex isn’t able
> to find any binaries in Linux if they are 32bit and the processor is
> 64bit.
>
> Of course, it makes sense in that case that a ConTeXt Suite with 64bit
> binaries is preferred. But as a fallback, 32bit binaries should be
> fine.

The script relies on "unamne -m". It does not care what processor is
used, but rather what system and libraries are installed. You can
certainly run the 32bit binaries in a 32bit chroot (but why would you
want to do this?).

Alan

* Re: a question on setuptex
@ 2017-02-17 22:49 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2017-02-17 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 February 2017 at 23:38, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hans,
>
> would it be possible that a 32bit ConTeXt Suite can be used with a 64bit
> architecture in Linux?
>
> Sorry, but yesterday I was surprised to see that setuptex isn’t able to
> find any binaries in Linux if they are 32bit and the processor is 64bit.
>
> Of course, it makes sense in that case that a ConTeXt Suite with 64bit
> binaries is preferred. But as a fallback, 32bit binaries should be fine.

It should work in principle. Just set "platform=linux" before calling
mtx-update.lua and disable '--make'. (You could in principle also call
rsync manually.) And then all you need to do is set the PATH to
binaries.

The problem is that unless something changed, mtxrun will most likely
be causing you some troubles and will insist in fetching x86_64 (I'm
not sure how to completely avoid that).

Mojca

* Re: a question on setuptex
@ 2017-02-18  9:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-02-18  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/17/2017 11:49 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 17 February 2017 at 23:38, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> Hans,
>>
>> would it be possible that a 32bit ConTeXt Suite can be used with a 64bit
>> architecture in Linux?
>>
>> Sorry, but yesterday I was surprised to see that setuptex isn’t able to
>> find any binaries in Linux if they are 32bit and the processor is 64bit.
>>
>> Of course, it makes sense in that case that a ConTeXt Suite with 64bit
>> binaries is preferred. But as a fallback, 32bit binaries should be fine.
>
> It should work in principle. Just set "platform=linux" before calling
> mtx-update.lua and disable '--make'. (You could in principle also call
> rsync manually.) And then all you need to do is set the PATH to
> binaries.
>
> The problem is that unless something changed, mtxrun will most likely
> be causing you some troubles and will insist in fetching x86_64 (I'm
> not sure how to completely avoid that).

maybe putting 32 bit bins in the 64 bit directory works ..

* Re: a question on setuptex
@ 2017-02-18 22:08     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-02-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/18/2017 10:23 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 2/17/2017 11:49 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On 17 February 2017 at 23:38, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Of course, it makes sense in that case that a ConTeXt Suite with 64bit
>>> binaries is preferred. But as a fallback, 32bit binaries should be fine.
>>
>> It should work in principle. Just set "platform=linux" before calling
>> mtx-update.lua and disable '--make'. (You could in principle also call
>> rsync manually.) And then all you need to do is set the PATH to
>> binaries.
>>
>> The problem is that unless something changed, mtxrun will most likely
>> be causing you some troubles and will insist in fetching x86_64 (I'm
>> not sure how to completely avoid that).
>
> maybe putting 32 bit bins in the 64 bit directory works ..

Many thanks for your replies, Alan, Mojca and Hans.

Sorry, I still think it shouldn’t be that complex.

In setuptex.bat we have:

    set TEXMFOS=%~s1texmf-mswin-64
    if exist %TEXMFOS%\bin\mtxrun.exe goto start
    [...]
    set TEXMFOS=%~s1\texmf-win32
    if exist %TEXMFOS%\bin\mtxrun.exe goto start

What prevents in setuptex to also check for the path of the binaries and
go to Linux32 when the path for Linux64 binaries doesn’t exist?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk