* Adobe Acrobat accessibility criteria
@ 2021-07-27  1:11 Connor P. Jackson via ntg-context
From: Connor P. Jackson via ntg-context @ 2021-07-27  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Connor P. Jackson

Hello ConTeXt friends,

I am newly exploring ConTeXt in search of a better way to produce PDF/UA-1
accessible and PDF/A compliant documents programmatically. From my early
experiments, ConTeXt docs appear to fully satisfy the veraPDF validator,
but Adobe Acrobat’s Accessibility Checker has three qualms with
ConTeXt-produced documents:

   1. The document is configured to display the file name rather than the
   title in the top of the window (DisplayDocTitle == True is what I think is
   required). See here <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/PDF18.html>.
   2. "Tagged Annotations" fails, suggesting that the document’s links are
   not properly tagged. I believe the issue is missing "Link - OBJR” (object
   reference) tags. See here
   <https://amp.levelaccess.net/public/standards/view_best_practice.php?violation_id=807>,
   here <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/PDF11.html>, and here
   <http://verapdf.org>.
   3. "Tab Order" fails, I believe because ConTeXt does not specify that
   the tab order should follow the Document Structure, so Acrobat reads it as
   unspecified. See here <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/PDF3.html>.

Is there something I could be doing to correct these issues in my ConTeXt
documents? Or is this a change that would have to be made within
ConTeXt itself? I know that Adobe is not the definitive arbiter of what an
“accessible” PDF looks like, but for many organizations, passing the
Acrobat accessibility checker is a prerequisite, so it seems worthwhile to
me to make ConTeXt capable of it.

Many thanks!

Connor Jackson

* Re: Adobe Acrobat accessibility criteria
@ 2021-07-27  7:35 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-07-27  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/27/2021 3:11 AM, Connor P. Jackson via ntg-context wrote:
> Hello ConTeXt friends,
>
> I am newly exploring ConTeXt in search of a better way to produce
> PDF/UA-1 accessible and PDF/A compliant documents programmatically. From
> my early experiments, ConTeXt docs appear to fully satisfy the veraPDF
> validator, but Adobe Acrobat’s Accessibility Checker has three qualms
> with ConTeXt-produced documents:
>
>  1. The document is configured to display the file name rather than the
>     title in the top of the window (DisplayDocTitle == True is what I
>     think is required). See here
>     <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/PDF18.html>.

Does this work at your end?

\setupinteraction
   [title=MyTitle,state=start]

\setupinteractionscreen
   [option={title}]

\starttext
     test
\stoptext

>  2. "Tagged Annotations" fails, suggesting that the document’s links are
>     not properly tagged. I believe the issue is missing "Link - OBJR”
>     (object reference) tags. See here
>     <https://amp.levelaccess.net/public/standards/view_best_practice.php?violation_id=807>,
>     here <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/PDF11.html>, and here
>     <http://verapdf.org>.
>  3. "Tab Order" fails, I believe because ConTeXt does not specify that
>     the tab order should follow the Document Structure, so Acrobat reads
>     it as unspecified. See here
>     <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/PDF3.html>.
>

> Is there something I could be doing to correct these issues in my
> ConTeXt documents? Or is this a change that would have to be made within
> ConTeXt itself? I know that Adobe is not the definitive arbiter of what
> an “accessible” PDF looks like, but for many organizations, passing the
> Acrobat accessibility checker is a prerequisite, so it seems worthwhile
> to me to make ConTeXt capable of it.
Most fo this is rather trivial but we need examples (mwe) and expected
result (in only have an old acrobat x pro and the latest reader, so
maybe i can't check all the latest greatest fancy features).

Hans

* Re: Adobe Acrobat accessibility criteria
@ 2021-07-28  3:05   ` Connor P. Jackson via ntg-context
From: Connor P. Jackson via ntg-context @ 2021-07-28  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

My prior message got stuck in Moderation Limbo because I attached a PDF, so
resending without the attachments:

Apologies, I realized about an hour after I hit send that I should have
submitted an MRE! Here is an MRE adapted from the wiki page on PDF/A
<https://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A>:

---

\setupinteraction[title=MyTitle,state=start]

\setupinteractionscreen[option={title}]

\setupbackend[

format={pdf/a-1a:2005},

profile={default_cmyk.icc,default_rgb.icc,default_gray.icc},

intent=ISO coated v2 300\letterpercent\space (ECI)]

%% Tagged PDF

%% method=auto ==> default tags by Adobe

\setupbackend[export=yes]

\setupstructure[state=start,method=auto]

\starttext

\chapter[chap:testing]{Testing}

Here is some text

\useURL[url1][https://xkcd.org][][Here is a link to xkcd]\from[url1]

\stoptext

---

Including \setupinteractionscreen[option={title}] fixed the title issue
(#1)! Thanks for that. I will add that to my default template.

And to see #s 2 and 3, I can send a PDF where I have fixed those errors in
Adobe Acrobat—adding a link-OBJR tag and setting the Tab Order. Is there a
preferred method since the listserv doesn’t seem to like large attachments?

Thanks!

Connor

@ 2021-07-28  9:51     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-07-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/28/2021 5:05 AM, Connor P. Jackson wrote:
> My prior message got stuck in Moderation Limbo because I attached a PDF,
> so resending without the attachments:
>
> Apologies, I realized about an hour after I hit send that I should have
> submitted an MRE! Here is an MRE adapted from the wiki page on PDF/A
> <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A>:
>
> ---
>
> \setupinteraction[title=MyTitle,state=start]
>

> \setupinteractionscreen[option={title}]
>

> \setupbackend[
>
> format={pdf/a-1a:2005},
>
> profile={default_cmyk.icc,default_rgb.icc,default_gray.icc},
>
> intent=ISO coated v2 300\letterpercent\space (ECI)]
>

> %% Tagged PDF
>
> %% method=auto ==> default tags by Adobe
>
> \setupbackend[export=yes]
>
> \setupstructure[state=start,method=auto]
>

> \starttext
>

> \chapter[chap:testing]{Testing}
>

> Here is some text
>

> \useURL[url1][https://xkcd.org][][Here <https://xkcd.org][][Here> is a
> link to xkcd]\from[url1]
>

> \stoptext
>

> ---
>
> Including \setupinteractionscreen[option={title}] fixed the title issue
> (#1)! Thanks for that. I will add that to my default template.
>

> And to see #s 2 and 3, I can send a PDF where I have fixed those errors
> in Adobe Acrobat—adding a link-OBJR tag and setting the Tab Order. Is
> there a preferred method since the listserv doesn’t seem to like large
> attachments?
your file is large because you also embed a profile .. this is more minimal

\setuptagging[state=start]

\setupstructure[state=start,method=auto]

\starttext

     \chapter[chap:testing]{Testing}

     Here is some text

     \useURL[url1][https://xkcd.org][][Here is a link to xkcd]\from[url1]

     \goto{next page}[page(2)]

     \page test

\stoptext

anyway, adding this - yet another weird - tag related object is doable
but i'll send you some files to test off list (the tagging code is
already somewhat old but lucky me it's not that complex so i could
figure it out without official pdf spec)

(when it works ok i also need to backport to mkiv)

Hans