* problem with non-printing hex 0x0C
@ 2019-02-05 20:28 martin
From: martin @ 2019-02-05 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a problem that kept me busy for a few hours. A \page command had
no effect, the text just continued in the pdf.

The culprid turned out to be a hex 0x0C, a formfeed character. Once I
removed them all was good. It got introduced by extracting the text from
a PDF.

I realize my files should be "clean" of control characters and ConTexT
should (maybe) not be stripping those characters. Then again, they serve
no purpose in the document. So...

My question: Isn't some more resilience sensible so commands don't
break? Or error messages?

cheers and thanks for any thoughts.
Martin

For the record:

ConTeXt  ver: 2019.01.28 16:58 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.2.4  int:
english/english

I'm not sure if the FF makes it through the mail. A hex editor
will/would show it in front of the \page (sheer coincidence)

\starttext

\startitemize[columns]
\item auf \hl[6]~  Baum
\stopitemize

\f\page

1. Der Bauer sitzt auf  \hl[6]~  Traktor.
\stoptext

* Re: problem with non-printing hex 0x0C
@ 2019-02-06  8:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-02-06  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/5/2019 9:28 PM, martin wrote:
> I had a problem that kept me busy for a few hours. A \page command had
> no effect, the text just continued in the pdf.
>
> The culprid turned out to be a hex 0x0C, a formfeed character. Once I
> removed them all was good. It got introduced by extracting the text from
> a PDF.
>
> I realize my files should be "clean" of control characters and ConTexT
> should (maybe) not be stripping those characters. Then again, they serve
> no purpose in the document. So...
>
> My question: Isn't some more resilience sensible so commands don't
> break? Or error messages?

a formfeed is acting like a newline

     \catcode\tabasciicode       \spacecatcode
     \catcode\endoflineasciicode \endoflinecatcode
     \catcode\formfeedasciicode  \endoflinecatcode
     \catcode\spaceasciicode     \spacecatcode