* Questions to PDF/A compliant documents: missing ICC files?
@ 2018-06-18 15:20 Tomas Hala
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Tomas Hala @ 2018-06-18 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A I found the following:

"""""
In ConTeXt mkiv, in order to create such a compliant PDF/A file, one can do as follows: first install (or check that they are present) the following color profiles files

default_cmyk.icc
default_gray.icc
default_rgb.icc
ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc

into tex/texmf-context/colors/icc/profiles of your Context standalone directory. The default_*.icc files are part of ghostscript...
"""""

So I checked that they are present (CentOS 6.6, GPL Ghostscript 8.70) and
I discovered that these files are not present at any ConTeXt (or TeX) installation from TeXlive
neither as separate files, nor at file context/colors/icc/context/colorprofiles.xml.

Only default_gray.icc is present as a part of ConTeXt installations from our garden.

Therefore, I would like to ask
(a) where I can find the set of original default*.icc files,
(b) what is the reason why these files are not included in the TeXlive and garden installations,
(c) if it is possible to add it there for future, and
(d) if the produced PDF (with \setupbackend[format={pdf/a-1b:2005}...]) is PDF/a compliant when these
icc files are not present and the whole content of the document is only in black (i.e. no grayscale, no colours).

Our university decided to be "PDF/a compliant", that is the reason why I am asking.

Best wishes,

Tomáš

* Re: Questions to PDF/A compliant documents: missing ICC files?
@ 2018-06-18 15:35 ` Alan Braslau
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-06-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 17:20:15 +0200
Tomas Hala <tomas.hala@mendelu.cz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A I found the following:
>
> """""
> In ConTeXt mkiv, in order to create such a compliant PDF/A file, one
> can do as follows: first install (or check that they are present) the
> following color profiles files
>
> default_cmyk.icc
> default_gray.icc
> default_rgb.icc
> ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc
>
> into tex/texmf-context/colors/icc/profiles of your Context standalone
> directory. The default_*.icc files are part of ghostscript... """""
>
> So I checked that they are present (CentOS 6.6, GPL Ghostscript 8.70)
> and I discovered that these files are not present at any ConTeXt (or
> TeX) installation from TeXlive neither as separate files, nor at file
> context/colors/icc/context/colorprofiles.xml.
>
> Only default_gray.icc is present as a part of ConTeXt installations
> from our garden.
>
> Therefore, I would like to ask
> (a) where I can find the set of original default*.icc files,

/usr/local/share/color/icc/ghostscript
on my system...

@ 2018-06-18 16:13 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2018-06-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 5:20 PM Tomas Hala <tomas.hala@mendelu.cz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A I found the following:
>
> """""
> In ConTeXt mkiv, in order to create such a compliant PDF/A file, one can
> do as follows: first install (or check that they are present) the following
> color profiles files
>
> default_cmyk.icc
> default_gray.icc
> default_rgb.icc
> ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc
>
> into tex/texmf-context/colors/icc/profiles of your Context standalone
> directory. The default_*.icc files are part of ghostscript...
> """""
>
> So I checked that they are present (CentOS 6.6, GPL Ghostscript 8.70) and
> I discovered that these files are not present at any ConTeXt (or TeX)
> installation from TeXlive
> neither as separate files, nor at file
> context/colors/icc/context/colorprofiles.xml.
>
> Only default_gray.icc is present as a part of ConTeXt installations from
> our garden.
>
> Therefore, I would like to ask
> (a) where I can find the set of original default*.icc files,
> (b) what is the reason why these files are not included in the TeXlive and
> garden installations,
> (c) if it is possible to add it there for future, and
> (d) if the produced PDF (with \setupbackend[format={pdf/a-1b:2005}...]) is
> PDF/a compliant when these
> icc files are not present and the whole content of the document is only in
> black (i.e. no grayscale, no colours).

Hm, they should be under
tex/texmf-context/colors/icc
in the standalone (beta) from the garden (I have just installed it, and I
see them).
They are not included in texlive for some copyright issues.

Anyway, see
http://www.eci.org/en/downloads

--
luigi

* Re: Questions to PDF/A compliant documents: missing ICC files?
@ 2018-06-18 16:48 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2018-06-18 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/18/2018 05:20 PM, Tomas Hala wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A I found the following:
> [...]
> So I checked that they are present (CentOS 6.6, GPL Ghostscript 8.70) and
> I discovered that these files are not present at any ConTeXt (or TeX) installation from TeXlive
> neither as separate files, nor at file context/colors/icc/context/colorprofiles.xml.
>
> Only default_gray.icc is present as a part of ConTeXt installations from our garden.

Hi Tomáš,

from latest beta (2018.06.12 21:48):

$ ls -lh /path-to-ctxbeta/tex/texmf-context/colors/icc/profiles/
total 3.6M
-rw-r--r--. 1 ousia ousia  416 Jun 12 21:55 default_gray.icc
-rw-r--r--. 1 ousia ousia 2.0K Jun 12 21:55 ecirgb_v2.icc
-rw-r--r--. 1 ousia ousia  700 Jun 12 21:55 ecirgb_v2_iccv4.icc
-rw-r--r--. 1 ousia ousia 1.8M Jun 12 21:55 isocoated_v2_300_eci.icc
-rw-r--r--. 1 ousia ousia 1.8M Jun 12 21:55 isocoated_v2_eci.icc
-rw-r--r--. 1 ousia ousia 3.1K Jun 12 21:55 srgb.icc
-rw-r--r--. 1 ousia ousia  60K Jun 12 21:55 srgb_v4_icc_preference.icc

> Therefore, I would like to ask
> (a) where I can find the set of original default*.icc files,

See above.

> [...]
> Our university decided to be "PDF/A compliant", that is the reason why I am asking.

Good luck. At my workplace they also wanted to be PDF/A compliant, but
they don’t handle PDF/A-3a documents.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Questions to PDF/A compliant documents: missing ICC files?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-06-18 21:38 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2018-06-18 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 19/06/18 03:20, Tomas Hala wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A I found the following:
>
> """""
> In ConTeXt mkiv, in order to create such a compliant PDF/A file, one can do as follows: first install (or check that they are present) the following color profiles files
>
> default_cmyk.icc
> default_gray.icc
> default_rgb.icc
> ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc
>
> into tex/texmf-context/colors/icc/profiles of your Context standalone directory. The default_*.icc files are part of ghostscript...
> """""
>
> So I checked that they are present (CentOS 6.6, GPL Ghostscript 8.70) and
> I discovered that these files are not present at any ConTeXt (or TeX) installation from TeXlive
> neither as separate files, nor at file context/colors/icc/context/colorprofiles.xml.
>
> Only default_gray.icc is present as a part of ConTeXt installations from our garden.
>
> Therefore, I would like to ask
> (a) where I can find the set of original default*.icc files,
> (b) what is the reason why these files are not included in the TeXlive and garden installations,
> (c) if it is possible to add it there for future, and
> (d) if the produced PDF (with \setupbackend[format={pdf/a-1b:2005}...]) is PDF/a compliant when these
> icc files are not present and the whole content of the document is only in black (i.e. no grayscale, no colours).

wget http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/iccprofiles/complete_ICC_profiles.zip
unzip complete_ICC_profiles.zip -d /opt/context/tex/texmf-local

> Our university decided to be "PDF/a compliant", that is the reason why I am asking.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Tomáš

* Re: Questions to PDF/A compliant documents: missing ICC files? -- II.
@ 2018-07-20 15:05   ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2018-07-20 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I would like to open the PDF/A topic once more.

First, I would like to thank Alan, Luigi, Pablo and Henri for their pieces
of help and information.

========

(a) where I can find the set of original default*.icc files,

# Alan: /usr/local/share/color/icc/ghostscript

This must be dependent on the version of operating system or on something
else because on computers I have permission to work on no this subtree is present.

# Luigi: tex/texmf-context/colors/icc

In standalone versions I tried during March and April and Pablo in June, there is really this special directory
but we found there only one of the files -- default_gray.icc. Other default*.icc files
(default_cmyk.icc, default_rgb.icc) which are mentioned at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A
were not present. Similarly at http://www.eci.org/en/downloads.

# Henri:  http://dl.contextgarden.net/misc/iccprofiles/complete_ICC_profiles.zip

Good deal -- here one can really find all three default*.icc files mentioned at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A, but with no visible link to the
mentioned zipfile from this page.

========

(b) what is the reason why these files are not included in the TeXlive and garden installations,
(c) if it is possible to add it there for future, and

# Luigi: They are not included in texlive for some copyright issues.

What is the difference between texlive copyright approach and context standalone copyright approach?

I read a few documents about licences for icc files and it seemed to me that the redistribution is possible,
for non-commercial use without restrictions, the redistributor is obliged only to add the corresponding
licence document to the software containing the icc file(s) and must not change the name of the file(s).

So, is possible to add the missing two default*.icc files to the context standalone version?

========

(d) if the produced PDF (with \setupbackend[format={pdf/a-1b:2005}...]) is
PDF/a compliant when these icc files are not present and the whole content
of the document is only in black (i.e. no grayscale, no colours).

# No reaction. :-)

This question is important only if the default*.icc files are not (will not be) present and used when the PDF file is generated.
Has somebody got any idea whether the PDF/A without icc files is accepted as PDF/A or not?

========

The best,

Tomáš

-----------------------

Tue, Jun 19, 2018 ve 09:38:55AM +1200 Henri Menke napsal(a):
#
#
# On 19/06/18 03:20, Tomas Hala wrote:
# >Hi all,
# >
# >at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A I found the following:
# >
# >"""""
[...]
# >___________________________________________________________________________________
# >If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
# >
# >maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# >webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# >archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# >wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# >___________________________________________________________________________________
# >
# ___________________________________________________________________________________
# If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
#
# maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# ___________________________________________________________________________________

                                         Tomáš Hála

* Re: Questions to PDF/A compliant documents: missing ICC files? -- II.
@ 2018-07-20 19:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-07-20 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/20/2018 5:05 PM, Tomas Hala wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to open the PDF/A topic once more.

maybe discuss it at the upcoming ctx meeting ... you can prepare a
summative talk about it (including the demands for following some standard)

@ 2018-07-26  7:34       ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2018-07-26  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fri, Jul 20, 2018 ve 09:24:23PM +0200 Hans Hagen napsal(a):
# On 7/20/2018 5:05 PM, Tomas Hala wrote:
# >Hi all,
# >
# >I would like to open the PDF/A topic once more.
#
# maybe discuss it at the upcoming ctx meeting ...

Good idea, indeed.

# ... you can prepare a
# summative talk about it (including the demands for following some
# standard)

I guess I can collect only some (unordered) pieces of information about this
but I really do not feel up to prepare a talk covering the topic systematically...
If it does not matter...

Tomáš

# >First, I would like to thank Alan, Luigi, Pablo and Henri for their pieces
# >of help and information.
# >
# >========
# >
[...]
# >-----------------------
# >
# >Tue, Jun 19, 2018 ve 09:38:55AM +1200 Henri Menke napsal(a):
# >#
# >#
# ># On 19/06/18 03:20, Tomas Hala wrote:
# ># >Hi all,
# ># >
# ># >at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/PDF/A I found the following:
# ># >
# ># >"""""
# ># >___________________________________________________________________________________
# ># ___________________________________________________________________________________
# ># If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
# >#
# ># maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# ># webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# ># archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# ># wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# ># ___________________________________________________________________________________
# >
# >                                          Tomáš Hála
# >--------------------------------------------------------------------
# >Mendelova univerzita, Provozně ekonomická fakulta, ústav informatiky
# >Zemědělská 1, CZ-613 00 Brno,  tel. +420 545 13 22 28
# >--------------------------------------------------------------------
# >http://akela.mendelu.cz/~thala
# >___________________________________________________________________________________
# >If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
# >
# >maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# >webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# >archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# >wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# >___________________________________________________________________________________
# >
#
#
# --
#
# -----------------------------------------------------------------
#                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
#               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
#        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl
# -----------------------------------------------------------------

                                         Tomáš Hála

* Re: Questions to PDF/A compliant documents: missing ICC files? -- II.
@ 2018-07-26  8:27         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-07-26  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/26/2018 9:34 AM, Tomas Hala wrote:
> Fri, Jul 20, 2018 ve 09:24:23PM +0200 Hans Hagen napsal(a):
> # On 7/20/2018 5:05 PM, Tomas Hala wrote:
> # >Hi all,
> # >
> # >I would like to open the PDF/A topic once more.
> #
> # maybe discuss it at the upcoming ctx meeting ...
>
> Good idea, indeed.
>
> # ... you can prepare a
> # summative talk about it (including the demands for following some
> # standard)
>
> I guess I can collect only some (unordered) pieces of information about this
> but I really do not feel up to prepare a talk covering the topic systematically...
> If it does not matter...
just collect them ... luigi can probbaly kick in with some info about
validators and so, and we can look into pdf files for further
enlightment (i can explain some internals and such)

(of course we can also have a m,ore philosophical discussiion about
these standards, validation, tagging, fancy pdf features, etc)

Hans