* two superscript versions with Garamond Libre
@ 2020-05-18 15:18 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-18 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I’m accesing superscript glyphs for Garamond Libre with the OT feature
and the character with the following sample:

    \definefontfeature[sups][script=latn, sups=yes]
    \definefontfamily[twoface][rm][GaramondLibre]
    \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][EB Garamond 12]
    \setupbodyfont[mainface]
    \starttext
    \startTEXpage[offset=1ex]
    {\feature[+][sups]1}¹{\feature[+][sups]2}²{\feature[+][sups]3}³%
    {\feature[+][sups]8}⁸{\feature[+][sups]9}⁹{\feature[+][sups]0}⁰\\
    \setupbodyfont[twoface]
    {\feature[+][sups]1}¹{\feature[+][sups]2}²{\feature[+][sups]3}³%
    {\feature[+][sups]8}⁸{\feature[+][sups]9}⁹{\feature[+][sups]0}⁰\\
    \stopTEXpage
    \stoptext

Typeface is available at
https://github.com/dbenjaminmiller/garamond-libre/releases/latest.

Sorry, but I’m a bit thick now. Does anyone know why characters and OT
sups provide differently sized glyphs?

I think there might be a bug in the typeface, but I need to know first
what to report.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: two superscript versions with Garamond Libre
@ 2020-05-18 16:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-05-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/18/2020 5:18 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I’m accesing superscript glyphs for Garamond Libre with the OT feature
> and the character with the following sample:
>
>      \definefontfeature[sups][script=latn, sups=yes]
>      \definefontfamily[twoface][rm][GaramondLibre]
>      \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][EB Garamond 12]
>      \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>      \starttext
>      \startTEXpage[offset=1ex]
>      {\feature[+][sups]1}¹{\feature[+][sups]2}²{\feature[+][sups]3}³%
>      {\feature[+][sups]8}⁸{\feature[+][sups]9}⁹{\feature[+][sups]0}⁰\\
>      \setupbodyfont[twoface]
>      {\feature[+][sups]1}¹{\feature[+][sups]2}²{\feature[+][sups]3}³%
>      {\feature[+][sups]8}⁸{\feature[+][sups]9}⁹{\feature[+][sups]0}⁰\\
>      \stopTEXpage
>      \stoptext
>
> Typeface is available at
> https://github.com/dbenjaminmiller/garamond-libre/releases/latest.
>
> Sorry, but I’m a bit thick now. Does anyone know why characters and OT
> sups provide differently sized glyphs?
>
> I think there might be a bug in the typeface, but I need to know first
> what to report.
designers decisions ... i guess ... features are just tags and afaik
nothing really prescribes how to implement them (relative to each other)

Hans

* Re: two superscript versions with Garamond Libre
@ 2020-05-18 18:06   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-18 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/18/20 6:13 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Sorry, but I’m a bit thick now. Does anyone know why characters and OT
>> sups provide differently sized glyphs?
>>
>> I think there might be a bug in the typeface, but I need to know first
>> what to report.
> designers decisions ... i guess ... features are just tags and afaik
> nothing really prescribes how to implement them (relative to each other)

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

I see now that there are two series of “superscripts” (numr and sups).
The Unicode superscript use the OpenType numerator glyphs.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2020-05-18 20:23 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-05-18 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 18.05.2020 um 17:18 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>:
>
> Typeface is available at
> https://github.com/dbenjaminmiller/garamond-libre/releases/latest.

Thank you for the hint, I’m always looking for interesting fonts.
This is a nicely designed classical Garamond with a big glyph repertoire (Latin, poly Greek, Cyrillic, Byzantine/Greek music symbols, math and other symbols), but after first tests I found flaws:
– Numbers are a bit too dark; table numbers look a bit too big, oldstyle numbers a bit too small.
– Small caps are lacking accented vowels including umlauts.
– Cyrillic is missing Kyrgyz/Kazakh letters (i.e. Cyrillic extended).
– Kerning is not yet perfect.
– Accents sit a bit too close on the letters.
– Swash capitals don’t fit the style at all, they look like some modern hand font like Lucida Handwriting.

Best, Hraban

* Re: two superscript versions with Garamond Libre
@ 2020-05-19  6:08   ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2020-05-19  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 18.05.20 um 22:23 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

>> Am 18.05.2020 um 17:18 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>:
>>
>> Typeface is available at
>> https://github.com/dbenjaminmiller/garamond-libre/releases/latest.
>
> Thank you for the hint, I’m always looking for interesting fonts.
> This is a nicely designed classical Garamond with a big glyph repertoire (Latin, poly Greek, Cyrillic, Byzantine/Greek music symbols, math and other symbols), but after first tests I found flaws:
> – Numbers are a bit too dark; table numbers look a bit too big, oldstyle numbers a bit too small.
> – Small caps are lacking accented vowels including umlauts.
> – Cyrillic is missing Kyrgyz/Kazakh letters (i.e. Cyrillic extended).
> – Kerning is not yet perfect.
> – Accents sit a bit too close on the letters.
> – Swash capitals don’t fit the style at all, they look like some modern hand font like Lucida Handwriting.

Thanks a lot for your insights.

From the repo I guess that this is a quite new project; you could post
bug reports.

juh

* Re: two superscript versions with Garamond Libre
@ 2020-05-19  6:24     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 19.05.2020 um 08:08 schrieb Jan U. Hasecke <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org>:
>
> Am 18.05.20 um 22:23 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
>>

>>> Am 18.05.2020 um 17:18 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>:
>>>
>>> Typeface is available at
>>> https://github.com/dbenjaminmiller/garamond-libre/releases/latest.
>>
>> Thank you for the hint, I’m always looking for interesting fonts.
>> This is a nicely designed classical Garamond with a big glyph repertoire (Latin, poly Greek, Cyrillic, Byzantine/Greek music symbols, math and other symbols), but after first tests I found flaws:
>> – Numbers are a bit too dark; table numbers look a bit too big, oldstyle numbers a bit too small.
>> – Small caps are lacking accented vowels including umlauts.
>> – Cyrillic is missing Kyrgyz/Kazakh letters (i.e. Cyrillic extended).
>> – Kerning is not yet perfect.
>> – Accents sit a bit too close on the letters.
>> – Swash capitals don’t fit the style at all, they look like some modern hand font like Lucida Handwriting.
>
> Thanks a lot for your insights.
>
> From the repo I guess that this is a quite new project; you could post
> bug reports.

That’s what I did. WRT swash capitals, the author told me:

\startquotation
I adopted this font, as a fork from an upstream which is no longer published under a libre license. Then I did make some slight extensions. But I didn't choose this. Right now, I am working on a new font, Salieri, which I hope will be of better quality once it is finished, and which, if it ever gets swash capitals, will get them according to some historically-rooted standard, most likely, though we are nowhere near that.
\stopquotation

I read this as “better don’t expect me to enhance anything substantial“.

HR

* Re: two superscript versions with Garamond Libre
@ 2020-05-19 14:29       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-05-19 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/19/20 8:24 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> [...]
> That’s what I did. WRT swash capitals, the author told me:
>
> \startquotation
> I adopted this font, as a fork from an upstream which is no longer
published under a libre license. Then I did make some slight extensions.
But I didn't choose this. Right now, I am working on a new font,
Salieri, which I hope will be of better quality once it is finished, and
which, if it ever gets swash capitals, will get them according to some
historically-rooted standard, most likely, though we are nowhere near that.
> \stopquotation
>
> I read this as “better don’t expect me to enhance anything substantial“.

Many thanks for the information, Hraban.

The new Salieri font is being discussed at
https://typedrawers.com/discussion/3627/.

The author is also working with the GFS in a revival of the original
»Heraklit« designed by Hermann Zapf (this thread has some comments about
it: https://typedrawers.com/discussion/3569/).

Just in case anyone is interested,

Pablo
--