* How to create an index that refers to multiple other books?
       [not found] <83836089.771099.1642511796159.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-01-18 13:16 ` Joel via ntg-context
From: Joel via ntg-context @ 2022-01-18 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Joel

I am writing a secondary textbook to be used in public schools. In my state, the textbooks must adhere to standards, such as the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). It is typical for a textbook to contain an index for teachers to check where in the textbook which standards are used. I've used the following code to create such an index, if I simply place `\learned{}` somewhere containing the standard's ID, it creates a custom index entry, and `\placelearned` displays that index.
\defineregister[learned][compress=yes]
\setupregister[learned][style=sansbold, textstyle=slanted, n=1, pagenumber=yes]
\starttext
        \learned{CCSS+W.7.3}
    \input knuth
        \learned{CCSS+W.7.3}
    \input knuth
        \learned{CCSS+W.7.1}
    \startchapter[title=Standards]
        \placelearned
    \stopchapter
\stoptext

This prints an index like this:

Standards
CSS
    W.7.1    1
    W.7.3    1

My problem is my textbook also includes four separate workbooks. I need the index to show my publisher that I've covered all 300+ standards, so I need the index at the back of the textbook to also contain details of which pages in each workbook the standards are found. How can I combine the index so it refers to all books? Something like this:

Standards

CSS
    W.7.1    T 1, Wk.1 3-8, 12, Wk.2 8-9, 60-61
    W.7.3    T 1, Wk.1 3-8, 12, Wk.2 8-9, 60-61, Wk.3 1-2, 54, 70, 90, Wk.4 99, 102, 104

...or possibly like this...

Standards
CSS
    W.7.1
    Textbook: 1
    Workbook 1: 3-8, 12
    Workbook 2: 8-9, 60-61
    W.7.3
    Textbook: 1
    Workbook 1: 3-8, 12
    Workbook 2: 8-9, 60-61
        Workbook 3: 1-2, 54, 70, 90
        Workbook 4: 99, 102, 104

Is there any way to print an index that covers pages across multiple books?

--Joel

* Re: How to create an index that refers to multiple other books?
@ 2022-01-18 13:27   ` Joel via ntg-context
From: Joel via ntg-context @ 2022-01-18 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel via ntg-context; +Cc: Joel

 One possible solution I see, since the textbooks and workbooks share the same macros, formatting, fonts, etc. is to just render them as a single file, resetting the page number at the start of each new book, then later use pdfjam to split the files, but I'm not sure how the index could tell readers which of the five "page 5's" (for example) the index is referring to. --Joel

@ 2022-01-18 14:39     ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-01-18 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 18.01.22 um 14:27 schrieb Joel via ntg-context:
> One possible solution I see, since the textbooks and workbooks share the
> same macros, formatting, fonts, etc. is to just render them as a single
> file, resetting the page number at the start of each new book, then
> later use pdfjam to split the files, but I'm not sure how the index
> could tell readers which of the five "page 5's" (for example) the index
> is referring to. --Joel

In this case, you could use \part per workbook and use
pageprefixsegments in \setupregister to add the part number in front of
the page number.

Otherwise, I guess it would be possible to read the .tuc files of the
other products to create index entries. (Some Lua programming; shouldn’t
bee too hard, but still way over my head.)

Hraban

* Re: How to create an index that refers to multiple other books?
@ 2022-01-18 18:26   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-01-18 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/18/2022 2:16 PM, Joel via ntg-context wrote:
> I am writing a secondary textbook to be used in public schools. In my
> state, the textbooks must adhere to standards, such as the Common Core
> State Standards (CCSS). It is typical for a textbook to contain an index
> for teachers to check where in the textbook which standards are used.
> I've used the following code to create such an index, if I simply place
> `\learned{}` somewhere containing the standard's ID, it creates a custom
> index entry, and `\placelearned` displays that index.
>
> \defineregister[learned][compress=yes]
> \setupregister[learned][style=sansbold, textstyle=slanted, n=1,
> pagenumber=yes]
> \starttext
>          \learned{CCSS+W.7.3}
>      \input knuth
>          \learned{CCSS+W.7.3}
>      \input knuth
>          \learned{CCSS+W.7.1}
>      \startchapter[title=Standards]
>          \placelearned
>      \stopchapter
> \stoptext
>
> This prints an index like this:
>
> Standards
> CSS
>      W.7.1    1
>      W.7.3    1
>
> My problem is my textbook also includes four separate workbooks. I need
> the index to show my publisher that I've covered all 300+ standards, so
> I need the index at the back of the textbook to also contain details of
> which pages in each workbook the standards are found. How can I combine
> the index so it refers to all books? Something like this:
>
> Standards

> CSS
>      W.7.1    T 1, Wk.1 3-8, 12, Wk.2 8-9, 60-61
>      W.7.3    T 1, Wk.1 3-8, 12, Wk.2 8-9, 60-61, Wk.3 1-2, 54, 70, 90,
> Wk.4 99, 102, 104
>
> ...or possibly like this...
>
> Standards
> CSS
>      W.7.1
>      Textbook: 1
>      Workbook 1: 3-8, 12
>      Workbook 2: 8-9, 60-61
>      W.7.3
>      Textbook: 1
>      Workbook 1: 3-8, 12
>      Workbook 2: 8-9, 60-61
>          Workbook 3: 1-2, 54, 70, 90
>          Workbook 4: 99, 102, 104
>
> Is there any way to print an index that covers pages across multiple books?
in principle one can load an index but you want some prefixing ... i
suppose that we can make some more native feature (some weekend
challenge i guess)

Hans

* Re: How to create an index that refers to multiple other books?
@ 2022-01-19  2:17       ` Joel via ntg-context
From: Joel via ntg-context @ 2022-01-19  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Joel