* Fourier Expert Fonts
@ 2005-02-08 22:35 Randall Skelton
From: Randall Skelton @ 2005-02-08 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Can someone explain how I go about adding the Adobe Utopia Expert
fonts so that ConTeXt is aware of them?  I have the postscript fonts
from Adobe but cannot figure out what to do with them.  Is there a
document that I've missed somewhere?  Poking around in type-enc.tex
suggests that much of the hard work has already been done...

The type one fonts (Mac) were exported using FontLab and renamed to

  ls *.afm *.pfb
  futb8t.afm      futbi9d.afm     futr8t.afm      futri8t.afm
futs9e.afm      futsc9wt.afm
  futb8t.pfb      futbi9d.pfb     futr8t.pfb      futri8t.pfb
futs9e.pfb      futsc9wt.pfb
  futb9d.afm      futbi9e.afm     futr9e.afm      futri9d.afm
futsc9d.afm     futsi9d.afm
  futb9d.pfb      futbi9e.pfb     futr9e.pfb      futri9d.pfb
futsc9d.pfb     futsi9d.pfb
  futb9e.afm      futc9d.afm      futr9p.afm      futri9e.afm
futsc9dd.afm    futsi9e.afm
  futb9e.pfb      futc9d.pfb      futr9p.pfb      futri9e.pfb
futsc9dd.pfb    futsi9e.pfb
  futbi8t.afm     futc9e.afm      futrc9d.afm     futs9d.afm      futsc9hd.afm
  futbi8t.pfb     futc9e.pfb      futrc9d.pfb     futs9d.pfb      futsc9hd.pfb

and tried to run a trivial fontinst script:

  \input fontinst.sty
  \needsfontinstversion{1.926}
  \recordtransforms{fut-rec.tex}
  \latinfamily{fut}{}
  \endrecordtransforms
  \bye

but I don't get any propery list or virtual property list files?

Apologies if this is trivial... it has been a while since I tinkered
with fonts in TeX.

Thanks,
Randall

* Re: Fourier Expert Fonts
@ 2005-02-09  0:44 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2005-02-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randall Skelton wrote:

> Can someone explain how I go about adding the Adobe Utopia Expert
> fonts so that ConTeXt is aware of them?  I have the postscript fonts
> from Adobe but cannot figure out what to do with them.  Is there a
> document that I've missed somewhere?  Poking around in type-enc.tex
> suggests that much of the hard work has already been done...

This doesn't directly address your problem, but it might help a bit:

     http://havenrock.com/textips/bookfonts.html

> Apologies if this is trivial... it has been a while since I tinkered
> with fonts in TeX.

IMHO nothing to do with fonts in TeX is trivial. Sometimes there are
simple solutions, but I've never found solutions that are both simple
and clearly documented.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

* Re: Fourier Expert Fonts
@ 2005-02-09  1:44   ` Randall Skelton
From: Randall Skelton @ 2005-02-09  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Matt... after reading a few more sites, I was led back to trying:

texfont --fontroot=$HOME/Library/texmf --vendor=adobe
--collection=utopia --makepath --install

This creates a tree in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/utopia where * is
either afm, tfm, type1, or vf.  I also get
$HOME/Library/texmf/map/pdftex/context/texnansi-adobe-utopia.map which
I've added to my pdftex.cfg and run texhash.  Unfortunately, I still
get CM fonts for the caps and there are no old-style figures?

---
\usetypescript[fourier][ec]
\setupbodyfont[fourier]

\starttext
This is Fourier roman, {\it italic,} {\bf bold,} and {\bi bold-italic.}

{\em \bf This is also bold-italic.}

We have {\sc small caps} and old-style figures: {\os 0123456789}.
\stoptext
---

Comparing type-enc.tex and the suggestions on Bill McClain's site, the
typescript definitions are somewhat different and I'm wondering if
this isn't the source of my problems:

\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular]              [futr8t]   [encoding=ec]
    vs.
\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular]          [texnansi-futr8t ]
[encoding=texnansi]

Any further hints are much appreciated.

Cheers,
Randall

* Re: Fourier Expert Fonts
@ 2005-02-09  4:55     ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2005-02-09  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randall Skelton wrote:
> Thanks Matt... after reading a few more sites, I was led back to trying:

Well, I probably can't help much (I haven't been working w/ fonts much
recently, either), but here are a couple of thoughts.

> texfont --fontroot=$HOME/Library/texmf --vendor=adobe
> --collection=utopia --makepath --install
>
> This creates a tree in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/utopia where * is
> either afm, tfm, type1, or vf.  I also get
> $HOME/Library/texmf/map/pdftex/context/texnansi-adobe-utopia.map which
> I've added to my pdftex.cfg and run texhash.

That's only useful if you are planning to use TeXnANSI encoding. You
might try adding --encoding=ec to your texfont invocation. Then I think
you will get an ec-adobe-utopia.map file.

> Unfortunately, I still
> get CM fonts for the caps and there are no old-style figures?

You mean small caps, I presume? My first guess would be that they're not
properly referenced in the typescript. As for old-style figures, are you
sure Utopia is supposed to have them? If so, do you know which font
contains them?

> Comparing type-enc.tex and the suggestions on Bill McClain's site, the
> typescript definitions are somewhat different and I'm wondering if
> this isn't the source of my problems:
>
> \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular]              [futr8t]   [encoding=ec]
>     vs.
> \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular]          [texnansi-futr8t ]
> [encoding=texnansi]

My experience leads me to think that in general you should reference
fonts with some encoding prefix. That prefixed name has to correspond to
a name defined in a map file in your TeX tree; e.g., if your
texnansi-adobe-utopia.map file defines a name something like
'texnansi-raw-futr8t.map', then in your typescript, 'texnansi-futr8t'
should work. Then again, I suspect 'futr8t' might be the wrong name to
use. Do you have TFM files named 'futr8t.tfm', and so on? Or are they
named 'utopia'? In the latter case, I think the map file should say,
e.g., 'texnansi-raw-utopia', and you should say 'texnansi-utopia' in the
typescript.

If you want to use EC encoding, then I guess you would change every
instance of 'texnansi' above to 'ec'. By the way, is there a particular
reason you don't want to use TeXnANSI?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

* Re: Fourier Expert Fonts
@ 2005-02-09 20:37       ` Randall Skelton
From: Randall Skelton @ 2005-02-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You mean small caps, I presume? My first guess would be that they're not
> properly referenced in the typescript. As for old-style figures, are you
> sure Utopia is supposed to have them? If so, do you know which font
> contains them?

Yes, small caps with oldstyle figures as per:

  http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/utopia/

> My experience leads me to think that in general you should reference
> fonts with some encoding prefix. That prefixed name has to correspond to
> a name defined in a map file in your TeX tree; e.g., if your
> texnansi-adobe-utopia.map file defines a name something like
> 'texnansi-raw-futr8t.map', then in your typescript, 'texnansi-futr8t'
> should work. Then again, I suspect 'futr8t' might be the wrong name to
> use. Do you have TFM files named 'futr8t.tfm', and so on? Or are they
> named 'utopia'? In the latter case, I think the map file should say,
> e.g., 'texnansi-raw-utopia', and you should say 'texnansi-utopia' in the
> typescript.
>
> If you want to use EC encoding, then I guess you would change every
> instance of 'texnansi' above to 'ec'. By the way, is there a particular
> reason you don't want to use TeXnANSI?

I thought that it would be easiest if I could somehow install the
Utopia expert fonts in such a way that they could be used with
existing typescript in $TEXMF/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex

\starttypescript [math] [fourier] [default,ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters]         [futr8t]   [encoding=ec]
 %\definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters]         [futmi]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Letters-Italic]  [futmii]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Symbols]         [futsy]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Math-Extension]       [fourier-mex]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [fourier] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular]              [futr8t]   [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Slanted]              [futro8t]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Italic]               [futri8t]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-RegularCaps]          [futrc8t]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Bold]                 [futb8t]   [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-BoldSlanted]          [futbo8t]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-BoldItalic]           [futbi8t]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-BoldCaps]             [futbc8t]  [encoding=ec]

  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular-Expert]       [futr9e]   [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Slanted-Expert]       [futro9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Italic-Expert]        [futri9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-RegularCaps-Expert]   [futrc9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Semi-Expert]          [futs9e]   [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-SemiSlanted-Expert]   [futso9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-SemiItalic-Expert]    [futsi9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-SemiCaps-Expert]      [futsc9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Bold-Expert]          [futb9e]   [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-BoldSlanted-Expert]   [futbo9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-BoldItalic-Expert]    [futbi9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Black-Expert]         [futc9e]   [encoding=ec]

  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Regular-OldStyle]     [futr9d]   [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Slanted-OldStyle]     [futro9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Italic-OldStyle]      [futri9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-RegularCaps-OldStyle] [futrc9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Semi-OldStyle]        [futs9d]   [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-SemiSlanted-OldStyle] [futso9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-SemiItalic-OldStyle]  [futsi9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-SemiCaps-OldStyle]    [futsc9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Bold-OldStyle]        [futb9d]   [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-BoldSlanted-OldStyle] [futbo9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-BoldItalic-OldStyle]  [futbi9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Fourier-Black-OldStyle]       [futc9d]   [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

and the map in $TEXMF/tex/context/base/type-map.tex

\starttypescript [map] [fourier] [ec]
  \loadmapfile[fourier.map]
  \loadmapfile[fourier-utopia-expert.map]
\stoptypescript

I took the naming convention from the above definitions in
type-enc.tex which, I thought, would make my life a little easier as I
wouldn't need to write the typescript myself.  This is also why I used
'ec' encoding instead of texnansi.  Of course, the definitions in the
map file fourier-utopia-expert.map, suggests that I should have files
named putb8x.pfb which I most certainly do not.

futb8x UtopiaExp-Bold <putb8x.pfb
futbi8x UtopiaExp-BoldItalic <putbi8x.pfb
futbo8x UtopiaExp-Bold " .167 SlantFont " <putb8x.pfb
futr8x UtopiaExp-Regular <putr8x.pfb
futri8x UtopiaExp-Italic <putri8x.pfb
futro8x UtopiaExp-Regular " .167 SlantFont " <putr8x.pfb
futs8r Utopia-Semibold "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <puts8a.pfb
futs8x UtopiaExp-Semibold <puts8x.pfb
futsi8r Utopia-SemiboldItalic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<putsi8a.pfb
futsi8x UtopiaExp-SemiboldItalic <putsi8x.pfb
futso8r Utopia-Semibold " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont
" <8r.enc <puts8a.pfb
futso8x UtopiaExp-Semibold " .167 SlantFont " <puts8x.pfb
futrc8r Utopia-RegularSC "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putrc8a.pfb
futsc8r Utopia-SemiboldSC "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putsc8a.pfb
futrd8r Utopia-Titling "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putrd8a.pfb
futc8r Utopia-Black "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <putc8a.pfb
futc8x UtopiaExp-Black <putc8x.pfb
futco8r Utopia-Black " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
<8r.enc <putc8a.pfb
futco8x UtopiaExp-Black " .167 SlantFont " <putc8x.pfb

Overall, I must admit to feeling rather confused.

Thanks for the help,
Randall