From: Randall Skelton <randall.skelton@gmail.com>
Subject: Search Path
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 00:33:31 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I've become rather confused on how ConTeXt searches paths so I made a
quick example... Attached is ConTest.zip which expands to a trivial
directory layout for a project.

ConTest/env_test.tex
ConTest/prd_one
ConTest/prd_one/cmp_aaa
ConTest/prd_one/cmp_aaa/cmp_aaa.tex
ConTest/prd_one/cmp_aaa/tbl_aaa.tex
ConTest/prd_one/cmp_bbb
ConTest/prd_one/cmp_bbb/cmp_bbb.tex
ConTest/prd_one/prd_one.tex
ConTest/prd_two
ConTest/prd_two/cmp_ccc
ConTest/prd_two/cmp_ccc/cmp_ccc.tex
ConTest/prd_two/cmp_ddd
ConTest/prd_two/cmp_ddd/cmp_ddd.tex
ConTest/prd_two/prd_two.tex
ConTest/prj_test.tex

My problems:

(1) I generally like to keep tables, figures and even some complicated
equations in separate input files so that I can easily move the files
between different projects (i.e. papers for publications, internal
docs, grant applications, etc).  More often than not, my 'tbl_*' files
are symlinks.  In this example I use:

  \input tbl_aaa.tex

within the file cmp_aaa.tex to illustrate my problem.  Namely, I
cannot find the file tbl_aaa.tex when generating either prj_test.tex
or prd_one.tex?

I've tried a variety of commands in place of input, including the
various readfile commands but nothing I've tried can make ConTeXt find
this file.

(2) Can someone please explain what \usepath[] and \usesubpath[] are
for and what the difference between the two is?  I've read many
messages that refer to these but have yet to find a true example
showing their use.  Their names suggest they may be useful in the case
but as the attached files suggest, I've been unable to figure out what
to do with them.

(3) I've largely switched over my figures to using the image database
(aka resource libraries?).  Is it currently possible to create
databases of equations and/or tables?

Many thanks and have a good weekend,
Randall