* register entries in footnotes
@ 2020-04-26 14:35 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2020-04-26 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

A similar question has been asked three years ago, and Rik Kabel posted
a partial solution, adapted here:

\defineprocessor [Footnote] [right={ n}]

\define[1]
   \fnindex{\index[Footnote->]{#1}}

\starttext

This is a sentence with a term in the index: cat\index{cat}. This
sentence also has an indexed term, dog\index{dog}, as well as a
footnote.\footnote{The footnote also contains an indexed term,
mouse.\fnindex{mouse}}

\page

\placeregister [index]

\stoptext

And about a year ago, Hans made a different suggestion to my own
question; however, I didn't realize then that it was not what I was
looking for:

\starttext

           Test1: \index{cat}cat.
\footnote{Test2: \index{mouse}mouse.}
\footnote[note:cat]{Test3: \index[cat]{cat in \in{note}[note:cat]}cat.}

\page

\placeregister [index]
\stoptext

This creates two index entries for cat, which is not the intended result.

My questions are:

1. I would like to have the footnote number appear in the index, so it
says something like "cat 1 n. 1." Is that possible?

2. Is it necessary to define an extra command for index entries in
footnotes? Is context clever enough to know that it's processing a
footnote, so one could write a condition such as (pseudocode):

\define [1]
   \myindex
   {\infinfootnoteelse
     {\index[Footnote]->{#1}}
     {\index{#1}}}

Thanks a lot, have a good Sunday!

Thomas

* Re: register entries in footnotes
@ 2020-04-26 17:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-04-26 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A similar question has been asked three years ago, and Rik Kabel posted
> a partial solution, adapted here:
>
> \defineprocessor [Footnote] [right={ n}]
>
> \define[1]
>    \fnindex{\index[Footnote->]{#1}}
>
> \starttext
>
> This is a sentence with a term in the index: cat\index{cat}. This
> sentence also has an indexed term, dog\index{dog}, as well as a
> footnote.\footnote{The footnote also contains an indexed term,
> mouse.\fnindex{mouse}}
>
> \page
>
> \placeregister [index]
>
> \stoptext
>
> And about a year ago, Hans made a different suggestion to my own
> question; however, I didn't realize then that it was not what I was
> looking for:
>
> \starttext
>
>            Test1: \index{cat}cat.
> \footnote{Test2: \index{mouse}mouse.}
> \footnote[note:cat]{Test3: \index[cat]{cat in \in{note}[note:cat]}cat.}
>
> \page
>
> \placeregister [index]
> \stoptext
>
> This creates two index entries for cat, which is not the intended result.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. I would like to have the footnote number appear in the index, so it
> says something like "cat 1 n. 1." Is that possible?
>
> 2. Is it necessary to define an extra command for index entries in
> footnotes? Is context clever enough to know that it's processing a
> footnote, so one could write a condition such as (pseudocode):
>
> \define [1]
>    \myindex
>    {\infinfootnoteelse
>      {\index[Footnote]->{#1}}
>      {\index{#1}}}
>
> Thanks a lot, have a good Sunday!
You probably know intuitively that there is an answer, don't you?

\unexpanded\def\doifelseinnote
   {\ifconditional\processingnote
      \expandafter\firstoftwoarguments
    \else