* Font installation help needed!
@ 2018-09-30 18:56 Geert Verhaag
From: Geert Verhaag @ 2018-09-30 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I'm currently using ConTeXt version:

mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.60
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context file: /home/verhaag/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2013.08.11 20:23

I'd like to use the Advent Pro font, so I downloaded the font and have 7
ttf files available.

After looking around for some manual I found: "Integrating TrueType
Fonts into ConTEXt" by Thomas A. Schmitz.

Immediately I run into problems when trying to run the texfont command.

My Linux (ubuntu 14.04) says:

The program 'texfont' is currently not installed.

I did a standalone installation years ago of this version of ConTeXt,
and don't dare to upgrade because I might run into other issues, sorry!

Any hints on how to procede installing the Advent Pro font to this
version of ConTeXt are very much welcomed!

Regards,

Gerard

* Re: Font installation help needed!
@ 2018-09-30 20:41 ` Schmitz Thomas A.
From: Schmitz Thomas A. @ 2018-09-30 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 30. Sep 2018, at 20:56, Geert Verhaag <verhaaggchm@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>
> I'd like to use the Advent Pro font, so I downloaded the font and have 7 ttf files available.
>
> After looking around for some manual I found: "Integrating TrueType Fonts into ConTEXt" by Thomas A. Schmitz.
>
> Immediately I run into problems when trying to run the texfont command.
>
> My Linux (ubuntu 14.04) says:
>
> The program 'texfont' is currently not installed.
>
> I did a standalone installation years ago of this version of ConTeXt, and don't dare to upgrade because I might run into other issues, sorry!
>
> Any hints on how to procede installing the Advent Pro font to this version of ConTeXt are very much welcomed!

Ah, you like old systems! Ubuntu 14.04 and context 2013, what a wonderful combination, back in the days! texfont is still part of the distribution, but you will have to invoke it with its full path. I just tried (with a current standalone), and it still works as expected. I had to copy texnansi.enc into the working directory, and then I invoked

perl ~/context/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl —fontroot=<> —ve=<> —co=<> --en=texnansi

Try this (replacing the variables with your values, of course).

Thomas

* Re: Font installation help needed!
@ 2018-09-30 23:49 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2018-09-30 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018, Geert Verhaag wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using ConTeXt version:
>
> mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.60
> mtx-context     |
> mtx-context     | main context file:
> /home/verhaag/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
> mtx-context     | current version: 2013.08.11 20:23

You should update your context installation. This is more than 5 year old!

> I'd like to use the Advent Pro font, so I downloaded the font and have 7
> ttf files available.
>
> After looking around for some manual I found: "Integrating TrueType
> Fonts into ConTEXt" by Thomas A. Schmitz.

That is meant for MkII. Unless there is a specific reason for you to use
MkII (like working with an old setup being used in production), you should
use MkIV. One of the advantage of MkIV is that it is MUCH easier to work
with TTF and OTF fonts.

> I did a standalone installation years ago of this version of ConTeXt,
> and don't dare to upgrade because I might run into other issues, sorry!

You can install standalone in a parallel directory. If something goes
wrong with the installation, you can continue using your current
installation.

Aditya

* Re: Font installation help needed!
@ 2018-10-02 18:54   ` Geert Verhaag
From: Geert Verhaag @ 2018-10-02 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 01-10-18 01:49, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2018, Geert Verhaag wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently using ConTeXt version:
>>
>> mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.60
>> mtx-context     |
>> mtx-context     | main context file:
>> /home/verhaag/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
>> mtx-context     | current version: 2013.08.11 20:23
>
> You should update your context installation. This is more than 5 year
> old!
>
>> I'd like to use the Advent Pro font, so I downloaded the font and
>> have 7 ttf files available.
>>
>> After looking around for some manual I found: "Integrating TrueType
>> Fonts into ConTEXt" by Thomas A. Schmitz.
>
> That is meant for MkII. Unless there is a specific reason for you to
> use MkII (like working with an old setup being used in production),
> you should use MkIV. One of the advantage of MkIV is that it is MUCH
> easier to work with TTF and OTF fonts.
>
>> I did a standalone installation years ago of this version of ConTeXt,
>> and don't dare to upgrade because I might run into other issues, sorry!
>
> You can install standalone in a parallel directory. If something goes
> wrong with the installation, you can continue using your current
> installation.
>
> Aditya

Thanks for your advice; but what is the correct MkIV procedure? Is it
the one described at: https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX?

I understand that the texfont way of doing it is out-dated!

Regards,

Gerard