* [NTG-context] \setupitemize[indentnext=auto] broken?
@ 2023-04-15 17:27 Jim via ntg-context
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jim via ntg-context @ 2023-04-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Jim

In the wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation there is the
following example:

%------------------------------------------------------------------------

\setupindenting[medium,yes]
\setupitemize[indentnext=auto]

  \startitemize
    \item One
  \stopitemize

  This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.

  \startitemize
    \item Two
  \stopitemize
  This paragraph should not be indented.

%------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tragically, the paragraph which claims it should be indented is not, in
both my test and the wiki page itself.

Is this a documentation bug, a ConTeXt bug, or something else yet?

Cheers.

                                Jim

* [NTG-context] https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Enumerations problem
@ 2023-04-15 17:49 ` Jim via ntg-context
From: Jim via ntg-context @ 2023-04-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Jim

In https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Enumerations there is this example:

%----------------------------------------------------------------

\setupwhitespace[big]
\definesymbol[1][$\triangleright$]
\startcolumns
{\bf joinedup:}                \par before \startitemize[joinedup]                \item test \item test \stopitemize after \par
{\bf nowhite:}                 \par before \startitemize[nowhite]                 \item test \item test \stopitemize after \par
{\bf joinedup,nowhite:}        \par before \startitemize[joinedup,nowhite]        \item test \item test \stopitemize after \column
{\bf joinedup,nowhite,before:} \par before \startitemize[joinedup,nowhite,before] \item test \item test \stopitemize after \par
{\bf joinedup,nowhite,after:}  \par before \startitemize[joinedup,nowhite,after]  \item test \item test \stopitemize after
\stopcolumns

%----------------------------------------------------------------

In my test "joinedup" leaves whitespace before the first list item and
after the last, but in the sample output there is no space.

While someone (?) is thinking about that, my (extremely rudimentary!) tests
also indicate that there is no need to use "joinedup" when you use "nowhite".
Is this indeed the case (in which case the wiki page could use an edit) or
are there case where both "joinedup" and "nowhite" are needed together (in
which case the wiki page could stand a little more information).

Thanks.

                                Jim

* Re: [NTG-context] \setupitemize[indentnext=auto] broken?
@ 2023-04-16 12:28 ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-16 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 02:27:56PM -0300, Jim via ntg-context wrote:
> In the wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation there is the
> following example:
>
> %------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> \setupindenting[medium,yes]
> \setupitemize[indentnext=auto]
>
>   \startitemize
>     \item One
>   \stopitemize
>
>   This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.
>
>   \startitemize
>     \item Two
>   \stopitemize
>   This paragraph should not be indented.
>
> %------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Tragically, the paragraph which claims it should be indented is not, in
> both my test and the wiki page itself.
>
> Is this a documentation bug, a ConTeXt bug, or something else yet?

I don't know. Why would it be a documentation bug if it clearly says it
should be indented only after the blank line,  unless \indent was omitted on
purpose while trying to make it look as if the blank line would  have
any effect after all. Makes no sense.

\setupindenting[medium,yes]
\setupitemize[indentnext=auto]

\starttext
  \startitemize
    \item One
  \stopitemize\indent%blank line

This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.

  \startitemize
    \item Two
  \stopitemize

\noindent{\dorecurse{10}{\indent This paragraph should not be indented.}}
\stoptext

> Cheers.
>
>                                 Jim

101 USES FOR A DEAD MICROPROCESSOR
	(1)  Scarecrow for centipedes
	(2)  Dead cat brush
	(3)  Hair barrettes
	(4)  Cleats
	(5)  Self-piercing earrings
	(6)  Fungus trellis
	(7)  False eyelashes
	(8)  Prosthetic dog claws
        .
        .
        .
	(99)  Window garden harrow (pulled behind Tonka tractors)
	(100) Killer velcro
	(101) Currency

* Re: [NTG-context] \setupitemize[indentnext=auto] broken?
@ 2023-04-16 16:24   ` Jim via ntg-context
From: Jim via ntg-context @ 2023-04-16 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 08:28 (-0400), Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 02:27:56PM -0300, Jim via ntg-context wrote:
>> In the wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation there is the
>> following example:

>> %------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> \setupindenting[medium,yes]
>> \setupitemize[indentnext=auto]

>>   \startitemize
>>     \item One
>>   \stopitemize

>> This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.

>>   \startitemize
>>     \item Two
>>   \stopitemize
>> This paragraph should not be indented.

>> %------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Tragically, the paragraph which claims it should be indented is not, in
>> both my test and the wiki page itself.

>> Is this a documentation bug, a ConTeXt bug, or something else yet?

> I don't know.

OK, but I wasn't asking you specifically.

> Why would it be a documentation bug if it clearly says it should be
> indented only after the blank line, unless \indent was omitted on purpose
> while trying to make it look as if the blank line would have any effect
> after all.  Makes no sense.

Have you never run into a documentation bug before?  Happy you!

I see two possibly reasons for a documentation bug here (there might be more):
(1) The documentation was incorrect at time of writing.  Humans have been
    known to make mistakes.
(2) The semantics of \setupitemize might have changed since the documentation
    was written, and the change has not yet been reflected in this
    particular piece of documentation.
    This would not be the first time that documentation changes lagged
    behind code changes.

The point is, there is a disconnect between the documentation says will
happen and what actually happens.  I don't know which is wrong, and thus my
question.  I hope that sooner or later someone who can definitively comment
on the disconnect will speak up.

@ 2023-04-16 16:35 ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2023-04-16 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Sat, 15 Apr 2023, Jim via ntg-context wrote:

> In the wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation there is the
> following example:
>
> %------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> \setupindenting[medium,yes]
> \setupitemize[indentnext=auto]
>
>   \startitemize
>     \item One
>   \stopitemize
>
>   This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.
>
>   \startitemize
>     \item Two
>   \stopitemize
>   This paragraph should not be indented.
>
> %------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Tragically, the paragraph which claims it should be indented is not, in
> both my test and the wiki page itself.
>
> Is this a documentation bug, a ConTeXt bug, or something else yet?

Works in mkiv but appears to be a bug in lmtx. I haven't debugged what is going wrong.

Aditya (who wrote bulk of that wiki page)

* Re: [NTG-context] \setupitemize[indentnext=auto] broken?
@ 2023-04-16 17:23   ` Jim via ntg-context
From: Jim via ntg-context @ 2023-04-16 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 12:35 (-0400), Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2023, Jim via ntg-context wrote:

>> In the wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation there is the
>> following example:

>> %------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> \setupindenting[medium,yes]
>> \setupitemize[indentnext=auto]

>>   \startitemize
>>     \item One
>>   \stopitemize

>> This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.

>>   \startitemize
>>     \item Two
>>   \stopitemize
>> This paragraph should not be indented.

>> %------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Tragically, the paragraph which claims it should be indented is not, in
>> both my test and the wiki page itself.

>> Is this a documentation bug, a ConTeXt bug, or something else yet?

> Works in mkiv but appears to be a bug in lmtx. I haven't debugged what is
> going wrong.

> Aditya (who wrote bulk of that wiki page)

Thanks very much for getting back.  And for your wiki contributions.

@ 2023-04-17  5:06   ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2023-04-17  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Sun, 16 Apr 2023, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2023, Jim via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > %------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > \setupindenting[medium,yes]
> > \setupitemize[indentnext=auto]
> >
> >   \startitemize
> >     \item One
> >   \stopitemize
> >
> >   This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.
> >
> >   \startitemize
> >     \item Two
> >   \stopitemize
> >   This paragraph should not be indented.
> >
> > %------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Works in mkiv but appears to be a bug in lmtx. I haven't debugged what is going wrong.

`indentnext=auto` doesn't appear to work for any environment.

Aditya

* Re: [NTG-context] \setupitemize[indentnext=auto] broken?
@ 2023-04-17 17:04     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/17/2023 7:06 AM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2023, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2023, Jim via ntg-context wrote:
>>
>>> %------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> \setupindenting[medium,yes]
>>> \setupitemize[indentnext=auto]
>>>
>>>    \startitemize
>>>      \item One
>>>    \stopitemize
>>>
>>>    This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.
>>>
>>>    \startitemize
>>>      \item Two
>>>    \stopitemize
>>>    This paragraph should not be indented.
>>>
>>> %------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Works in mkiv but appears to be a bug in lmtx. I haven't debugged what is going wrong.
>
> `indentnext=auto` doesn't appear to work for any environment.
can you test with this patch

\permanent\protected\protected\def\spac_indentation_check_next_indentation
   {\global\enforced\let\dorechecknextindentation\relax
    \begingroup
    \autoparagraphmode\zerocount

\doifelsenextchar\par\endgroup{\endgroup\spac_indentation_variant_no}} %
messy check as next is seldom \par

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] \setupitemize[indentnext=auto] broken?
@ 2023-04-18 13:48       ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2023-04-18 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Mon, 17 Apr 2023, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

> On 4/17/2023 7:06 AM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:

> >> Works in mkiv but appears to be a bug in lmtx. I haven't debugged what is
> >> going wrong.
> >
> > `indentnext=auto` doesn't appear to work for any environment.
> can you test with this patch

This works on with the 3-4 test examples that I had but ...

> \permanent\protected\protected\def\spac_indentation_check_next_indentation
	    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is that a typo (double \protected)? I tested with a single \protected and that also works.

Aditya

* Re: [NTG-context] \setupitemize[indentnext=auto] broken?
@ 2023-04-18 14:56         ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-18 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/18/2023 3:48 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2023, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

>>> `indentnext=auto` doesn't appear to work for any environment.
>> can you test with this patch
>
> This works on with the 3-4 test examples that I had but ...
>
>> \permanent\protected\protected\def\spac_indentation_check_next_indentation
> 	    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Is that a typo (double \protected)? I tested with a single \protected and that also works.
it's a typo .. maybe i should add (for completeness)

\protected\unprotected\protected

(\permanent only kicks in when you are on overload protection mode,
which I'm always in here)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] \setupitemize[indentnext=auto] broken?
@ 2023-04-19 12:23     ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-19 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 01:24:08PM -0300, Jim via ntg-context wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 08:28 (-0400), Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 02:27:56PM -0300, Jim via ntg-context wrote:
> >> In the wiki page https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Indentation there is the
> >> following example:
>
> >> %------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> >> \setupindenting[medium,yes]
> >> \setupitemize[indentnext=auto]
>
> >>   \startitemize
> >>     \item One
> >>   \stopitemize
>
> >> This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.
>
> >>   \startitemize
> >>     \item Two
> >>   \stopitemize
> >> This paragraph should not be indented.
>
> >> %------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> >> Tragically, the paragraph which claims it should be indented is not, in
> >> both my test and the wiki page itself.
>
> >> Is this a documentation bug, a ConTeXt bug, or something else yet?
>
> > I don't know.
>
> OK, but I wasn't asking you specifically.

Thnt's more than obvious, asshole. Or passive-aggressive asshole.

You're posting it on the mailing list for the users, devs, and
end-users alike to test it out as required and comment or say whatever
they want.

> > Why would it be a documentation bug if it clearly says it should be
> > indented only after the blank line, unless \indent was omitted on purpose
> > while trying to make it look as if the blank line would have any effect
> > after all.  Makes no sense.
>
> Have you never run into a documentation bug before?  Happy you!
>
> I see two possibly reasons for a documentation bug here (there might be more):
> (1) The documentation was incorrect at time of writing.  Humans have been
>     known to make mistakes.
> (2) The semantics of \setupitemize might have changed since the documentation
>     was written, and the change has not yet been reflected in this
>     particular piece of documentation.
>     This would not be the first time that documentation changes lagged
>     behind code changes.

Neither one.

> The point is, there is a disconnect between the documentation says will
> happen and what actually happens.  I don't know which is wrong, and thus my
> question.  I hope that sooner or later someone who can definitively comment
> on the disconnect will speak up.

I agree. :)

> > \setupindenting[medium,yes]
> > \setupitemize[indentnext=auto]
>
> > \starttext
> >   \startitemize
> >     \item One
> >   \stopitemize\indent%blank line
>
> > This paragraph should be indented - due to the blank line after \type{\stopitemize}.
>
> >   \startitemize
> >     \item Two
> >   \stopitemize
>
> > \noindent{\dorecurse{10}{\indent This paragraph should not be indented.}}
> > \stoptext

To err is human -- to blame it on a computer is even more so.