* Thumb indexes
@ 2005-02-11 22:19 cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2005-02-11 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

My last question! :-)  I would like to have the various ‘parts’ of a book marked with black rectangles at the right side of each page, visible when the reader flips through the pages. I googled successfully to find ‘fancyhdr’, but that’s a LaTeX package, so I don’t think it will work in ConTeXt. If it’s not too difficult in ConTeXt, can anyone share the secret?

thanks!

* Re: Thumb indexes
@ 2005-02-12 23:12 cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2005-02-12 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> said on 2005-02-12, 21:19 (+0100 GMT):

> Perhaps describe a bit more exactly what you'd like to achieve.
> As far as I understood: You want a black rectangle at the margin
> that has no text in it, always same size, but moving position per
> chapter?

Yes. More precisely, chapter 1 - 5 would have a black box in the margin at the top right of each right page, then chapters 6 to whatever have the next box below, and so on. I usually do this ‘manually’ in a DTP app (by defining a set of master pages and applying them selectively to a group of ‘chapters’) but ConTeXt is clearly capable of doing it automatically. And I bet ConTeXt could also be persuaded to place white text on the box as well...

I’ve read through the MetaFun manual. It’s amazing technology, but a bit too advanced for me at present.