* [NTG-context] [ update message ]
@ 2023-05-07 13:18 vm via ntg-context
From: vm via ntg-context @ 2023-05-07 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

running the sh install.sh script to update to the latest version i get a
message:

/home/vm/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/luatex: unrecognized option
'--socket'

there is probably a reason for it, context seems to compile just fine.

mtx-context     | current version: 2023.05.05 18:39

* Re: [NTG-context] [ update message ]
@ 2023-05-07 14:05 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-05-07 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vm via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 5/7/2023 3:18 PM, vm via ntg-context wrote:
> running the sh install.sh script to update to the latest version i get a
> message:
>
> /home/vm/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/luatex: unrecognized option
> '--socket'
>
> there is probably a reason for it, context seems to compile just fine.
ah, ok, so that luatex update even broke the context updater (i didn't
realize that luatex would quit on an unknown option instead of just
ignoring it)

anyway, as there is no way we can deal with such incompatible updates
out of our control, one can install lmtx which should be fine (and
likely has the right luatex too, or you can pick up some luatex from the
compile farm which should work ok with recent scripts)

summary:

- there is a luatex update that breaks context but is needed for other
macro packages, and in principle such a fundamental incompatinility
should go along with a context update

- the update therefore needs a patched mtxrun although one never patches
mtxrun directly unless doing that off-context-zip (it's now how mtxrun
is created)

- the luat-fmt is the one that should get two "--socket" snippets
because otherwise a context run can fail in some scenarios

- new observation: older engines might fail with new scripts but I'm not
going to check for versions (in fact, if we weren't aware of the issue
contexts would fail everywhere once such an update rolls out)

So .. not much we can do about it other than just manually adapt when a
situation arises. The good news is that luametatex is unaffected and
that is what the majority used.

Hans

ps. I assume new luatex binaries have to be put into the old mkiv/mkii
installers when they ship with a newer script. Kind of a mess.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] [ update message ]
@ 2023-05-07 14:47   ` luigi scarso via ntg-context
From: luigi scarso via ntg-context @ 2023-05-07 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 7 May 2023 at 16:05, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
wrote:

> On 5/7/2023 3:18 PM, vm via ntg-context wrote:
> > running the sh install.sh script to update to the latest version i get a
> > message:
> >
> > /home/vm/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/luatex: unrecognized option
> > '--socket'
> >
> > there is probably a reason for it, context seems to compile just fine.
> ah, ok, so that luatex update even broke the context updater (i didn't
> realize that luatex would quit on an unknown option instead of just
> ignoring it)

indeed is what happens in this case :  luatex emits  a message
and continues (as the email says:  "...context seems to compile just fine.")

--socket is a new option for luatex 1.17.0, where sockets are disabled by
default .

--
luigi

* Re: [NTG-context] [ update message ]
@ 2023-05-07 14:57     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-05-07 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/7/2023 4:47 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Sun, 7 May 2023 at 16:05, Hans Hagen via ntg-context
> <ntg-context@ntg.nl <mailto:ntg-context@ntg.nl>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/7/2023 3:18 PM, vm via ntg-context wrote:
>      > running the sh install.sh script to update to the latest version
>     i get a
>      > message:
>      >
>      > /home/vm/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/luatex: unrecognized option
>      > '--socket'
>      >
>      > there is probably a reason for it, context seems to compile just
>     fine.
>     ah, ok, so that luatex update even broke the context updater (i didn't
>     realize that luatex would quit on an unknown option instead of just
>     ignoring it)
>

> indeed is what happens in this case :  luatex emits  a message
> and continues (as the email says:  "...context seems to compile just fine.")
Ah, ok, so as expected, we're fine then (as long as users don't panic).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE