* Odd numbering of
@ 2017-07-26  7:20 Sebastian L.
From: Sebastian L. @ 2017-07-26  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I have a document that is structured like this:

\startfrontmatter
   \placecontent
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
   \startchapter
     \component whatever.tex
   \stopchapter
\stopbodymatter

What I noticed is, that when I build the PDF, open it in Sumatra PDF and
check the page counter at the top, then the first page (frontmatter) is
numbered 1, then the second page (1st page of the bodymatter) is
numbered 1.1, the second page of the bodymatter then is numbered
correctly again.

How would one change the frontmatter counter to roman numbers (I, II,
III etc.)? And the first page of the bodymatter to 1 instead of 1.1? For
the record: within the PDF itself the numbers are printed correctly
(front: no numbers, body: 1, 2, 3 etc.). This seems to be reader
software related. I saw romans for frontmatter and arabics for
bodymatter in other documents already, so I am sure there has to be a
way of achieving this in CTX.

Any ideas?

Greetings, Sebastian

* Re: Odd numbering of
@ 2017-07-26 15:03 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-26 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/26/2017 09:20 AM, Sebastian L. wrote:
> Hi folks,
> [...]
> How would one change the frontmatter counter to roman numbers (I, II,
> III etc.)? And the first page of the bodymatter to 1 instead of 1.1? For
> the record: within the PDF itself the numbers are printed correctly
> (front: no numbers, body: 1, 2, 3 etc.). This seems to be reader
> software related. I saw romans for frontmatter and arabics for
> bodymatter in other documents already, so I am sure there has to be a
> way of achieving this in CTX.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Sebastian,

the wiki is your friend:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table_of_Contents. The answers to your
questions are there.

As to your first issue with wrong page numbering, I wasn’t able to
reproduce your problem with the minimal sample and I’m not sure where
you got the wrong page number. Only in the viewer?

Could you provide a minimal sample (for both files) and your output
document?

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Odd numbering of pp. in PDF viewer
@ 2017-07-26 19:25   ` Sebastian L.
From: Sebastian L. @ 2017-07-26 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Pablo,

thanks for your response. Yes, I already had in mind, that this might be
a viewer related problem, as I only opened the document in SumatraPDF
only. With one of the solutions from the wiki I fixed the problem. I added

\definestructureconversionset[frontpart:pagenumber][][romannumerals]

to my environment file. I didn't take this into accout, as I initially
didn't plan on using roman numbers. But right now this seems the only
proper solution to the wrong numbering in my case. I attached an
explanation document to show you what I mean.

If you still wish for the source files please tell me.

Cheers, Sebastian

On 26/07/2017 17:03, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/26/2017 09:20 AM, Sebastian L. wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> [...]
>> How would one change the frontmatter counter to roman numbers (I, II,
>> III etc.)? And the first page of the bodymatter to 1 instead of 1.1? For
>> the record: within the PDF itself the numbers are printed correctly
>> (front: no numbers, body: 1, 2, 3 etc.). This seems to be reader
>> software related. I saw romans for frontmatter and arabics for
>> bodymatter in other documents already, so I am sure there has to be a
>> way of achieving this in CTX.
>>
>> Any ideas?
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> the wiki is your friend:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table_of_Contents. The answers to your
> questions are there.
>
> As to your first issue with wrong page numbering, I wasn’t able to
> reproduce your problem with the minimal sample and I’m not sure where
> you got the wrong page number. Only in the viewer?
>
> Could you provide a minimal sample (for both files) and your output
> document?
>
> Pablo

[-- Attachment #2: counting.pdf --]

* Re: Odd numbering of pp. in PDF viewer
@ 2017-07-26 20:01     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-26 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/26/2017 09:25 PM, Sebastian L. wrote:
> [..]

> ... I initially didn't plan on using roman numbers. But right now
> this seems the only proper solution to the wrong numbering in my
> case. I attached an explanation document to show you what I mean.
>
> If you still wish for the source files please tell me.

Hi Sebastian,

using Roman numerals is a way to workaround the issue.

Unless you provide a minimal source that replicates the wrong numbering,
it would be hard to guess which causes the issue on your document (I’m
afraid I’m not that smart :-().

In the PDF document, you mention makeups. See the difference in numbering:

    \setuppapersize[A9]
    \starttext
    \dorecurse{5}{\startmakeup[standard]\recurselevel\stopmakeup}
    \setupmakeup[standard][pagestate=start]
    \dorecurse{5}{\startmakeup[standard]\recurselevel\stopmakeup}
    \stoptext

But we’re still guessing.

Pablo
--

@ 2017-07-26 20:09       ` Sebastian L.
From: Sebastian L. @ 2017-07-26 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Pablo, I attached what I see. ;)

On 26/07/2017 22:01, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> \setuppapersize[A9]
>      \starttext
>      \dorecurse{5}{\startmakeup[standard]\recurselevel\stopmakeup}
>      \setupmakeup[standard][pagestate=start]
>      \dorecurse{5}{\startmakeup[standard]\recurselevel\stopmakeup}
>      \stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: pablo_ctx01.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 24722 bytes --]

* Re: Odd numbering of pp. in PDF viewer
@ 2017-07-26 20:12       ` Sebastian L.
From: Sebastian L. @ 2017-07-26 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Sorry, I forgot the second attachment.

On 26/07/2017 22:01, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/26/2017 09:25 PM, Sebastian L. wrote:
>> [..]
>> ... I initially didn't plan on using roman numbers. But right now
>> this seems the only proper solution to the wrong numbering in my
>> case. I attached an explanation document to show you what I mean.
>>
>> If you still wish for the source files please tell me.
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> using Roman numerals is a way to workaround the issue.
>
> Unless you provide a minimal source that replicates the wrong numbering,
> it would be hard to guess which causes the issue on your document (I’m
> afraid I’m not that smart :-().
>
> In the PDF document, you mention makeups. See the difference in numbering:
>
>      \setuppapersize[A9]
>      \starttext
>      \dorecurse{5}{\startmakeup[standard]\recurselevel\stopmakeup}
>      \setupmakeup[standard][pagestate=start]
>      \dorecurse{5}{\startmakeup[standard]\recurselevel\stopmakeup}
>      \stoptext
>
> But we’re still guessing.
>
> Pablo

[-- Attachment #2: pablo_ctx02.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 31634 bytes --]

* Re: Odd numbering of pp. in PDF viewer
@ 2017-07-27 15:30         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-27 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/26/2017 10:09 PM, Sebastian L. wrote:
> Hi Pablo, I attached what I see. ;)

It is an already known bug in MuPDF:
https://github.com/sumatrapdfreader/sumatrapdf/issues/353 (even the
latest unstable version hasn’t been fixed yet).

Could you test your original issue with Acrobat?

Pablo
--

@ 2017-07-27 20:19           ` Sebastian L.
From: Sebastian L. @ 2017-07-27 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Pablo,

interesting issue, I will keep your github link focused, thanks. I
installed Adobe Reader DC and opened the original document with it.
Screenshots attached.
TBH, this also isn't the correct numbering if you ask me. It goes 1, 1,
2. I thought of 1, 2, 3...

But ok, the romans solution is ok for now.

Thanks for your help, Sebastian.

On 27/07/2017 17:30, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/26/2017 10:09 PM, Sebastian L. wrote:
>> Hi Pablo, I attached what I see. ;)
> It is an already known bug in MuPDF:
> https://github.com/sumatrapdfreader/sumatrapdf/issues/353 (even the
> latest unstable version hasn’t been fixed yet).
>
> Could you test your original issue with Acrobat?
>
> Pablo

[-- Attachment #2: adobe_p1.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 3491 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: adobe_p2.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 3573 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: adobe_p3.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 3707 bytes --]

* Re: Odd numbering of pp. in PDF viewer
@ 2017-07-27 20:44             ` Pablo Rodriguez
       [not found]               ` <960efcd6-0b44-536b-5d76-a5bdc5f1f820@gmail.com>
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-27 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/27/2017 10:19 PM, Sebastian L. wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> interesting issue, I will keep your github link focused, thanks. I
> installed Adobe Reader DC and opened the original document with it.
> Screenshots attached.
> TBH, this also isn't the correct numbering if you ask me. It goes 1, 1,
> 2. I thought of 1, 2, 3...
>
> But ok, the romans solution is ok for now.

Hi Sebastian,

are you using a makeup on the second page?

The way to enable numbering also in makeups is:

    \setupmakeup[pagestate=start]

If you add it to your preamble, my guess is that it will work.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--

       [not found]                 ` <ed200b78-af2f-30cf-225b-43f9c065a767@gmx.es>
@ 2017-07-27 21:59                   ` Sebastian L.
From: Sebastian L. @ 2017-07-27 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually SumatraPDF works pretty fine with the setting your proposed
(see attached screens).
Thanks.

On 27/07/2017 23:37, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/27/2017 11:14 PM, Sebastian L. wrote:
>> That's my product.tex:
>>
>> \environment env.tex
>>
>>      \startstandardmakeup
>>      \stopstandardmakeup
> Here is your makeup (I removed unrequired lines).
>
>> And that's from my env.tex:
>>
>> \setupinteraction[state=start, color=GBlue, contrastcolor=GBlue] % also
>> in mkiv!
>> % color: different page, contrastcolor: same page
>> \setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
>> \setuppagenumbering[state=start, location={footer,right}]
>> \placebookmarks[chapter,title,section,subsection][chapter,section]
> Add \setupmakeup[pagestate=start] in this document and page labels in
> the PDF document will be fine (SumatraPDF is buggy here, but other PDF
> viewers with page label support will be fine).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pablo

[-- Attachment #2: sump1.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 2651 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: sump2.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 2987 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: sump3.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 2866 bytes --]

@ 2017-07-27 22:01               ` Sebastian L.
From: Sebastian L. @ 2017-07-27 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Yet the problem is, that the second page is labeled 2 as pagenumber.
That's what I tried to omit...

* Re: Odd numbering of pp. in PDF viewer
@ 2017-07-28  5:13                     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-28  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/27/2017 11:59 PM, Sebastian L. wrote:
> Actually SumatraPDF works pretty fine with the setting your proposed
> (see attached screens).
> Thanks.

You are right, Sebastian.

SumatraPDF has problems to deal with page labels using the same values
(1, 1, 1, for example).

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk