* Section format using /def
@ 2009-02-05 17:37 Michael Bynum
From: Michael Bynum @ 2009-02-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I, apparently, do not understand the syntax and/or uses of /def.  I am
trying to make section heads appear in all caps and underlined.  I
originally tried to just use \setuphead, but found that I using the
"textcommand" option I could only either capitalize or underline and
not both.  I then figured that using a macro was my next best option.
Below is what I tried and it does not work.  Can someone tell me what
I am doing wrong?

\def\mysectionhead{\WORD\underbar}

\setuphead[section]
   [number=no,
    textcommand=\mysectionhead,
    style={\tfa\bf}]

Thanks,
Mike

* Re: Section format using /def
@ 2009-02-05 17:55 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-05 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.02.2009 um 18:37 schrieb Michael Bynum:

> I, apparently, do not understand the syntax and/or uses of /def.  I am
> trying to make section heads appear in all caps and underlined.  I
> originally tried to just use \setuphead, but found that I using the
> "textcommand" option I could only either capitalize or underline and
> not both.  I then figured that using a macro was my next best option.
> Below is what I tried and it does not work.  Can someone tell me what
> I am doing wrong?

Both commands take parameter and in your example you pass \underbar
as argument to \WORD.

Two solution are possible for your problem.

1. You define a command with one argument and use both commands
    nested, it is important to use deeptextcommand for the \WORD style.

\define[1]\mysectionhead{\underbar{\WORD{#1}}}

\setuphead
   [section]
   [number=no,
    deeptextcommand=\mysectionhead,
    style={\tfa\bf}]

2. You ca use both text commands and pass one with textcommand and
    another one with deeptextcommand.

\setuphead
   [section]
   [number=no,
    textcommand=\underbar,
    deeptextcommand=\WORD,
    style={\tfa\bf}]

Wolfgang

* Re: Section format using /def
@ 2009-02-05 17:59 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-02-05 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Michael Bynum wrote:

> I, apparently, do not understand the syntax and/or uses of /def.  I am
> trying to make section heads appear in all caps and underlined.  I
> originally tried to just use \setuphead, but found that I using the
> "textcommand" option I could only either capitalize or underline and
> not both.  I then figured that using a macro was my next best option.
> Below is what I tried and it does not work.  Can someone tell me what
> I am doing wrong?
>
> \def\mysectionhead{\WORD\underbar}
>
> \setuphead[section]
>   [number=no,
>    textcommand=\mysectionhead,
>    style={\tfa\bf}]

See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Formatting_Titles_with_.5Csetuphead

and try to use deeptextcommand instead.

Aditya

* Re: Section format using /def
@ 2009-02-05 18:45   ` Michael Bynum
From: Michael Bynum @ 2009-02-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah, I think I see. So "\define[1]\mysectionhead{\bfa
\WORD{\underbar{#1}}}" would also be valid.  Is \define a context
equivalent to the \def command for tex?  I couldn't find much
documentation on it.

Mike

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 05.02.2009 um 18:37 schrieb Michael Bynum:
>
>> I, apparently, do not understand the syntax and/or uses of /def.  I am
>> trying to make section heads appear in all caps and underlined.  I
>> originally tried to just use \setuphead, but found that I using the
>> "textcommand" option I could only either capitalize or underline and
>> not both.  I then figured that using a macro was my next best option.
>> Below is what I tried and it does not work.  Can someone tell me what
>> I am doing wrong?
>
> Both commands take parameter and in your example you pass \underbar
> as argument to \WORD.
>
> Two solution are possible for your problem.
>
> 1. You define a command with one argument and use both commands
>   nested, it is important to use deeptextcommand for the \WORD style.
>
> \define[1]\mysectionhead{\underbar{\WORD{#1}}}
>
> \setuphead
>  [section]
>  [number=no,
>   deeptextcommand=\mysectionhead,
>   style={\tfa\bf}]
>
> 2. You ca use both text commands and pass one with textcommand and
>   another one with deeptextcommand.
>
> \setuphead
>  [section]
>  [number=no,
>   textcommand=\underbar,
>   deeptextcommand=\WORD,
>   style={\tfa\bf}]
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Section format using /def
@ 2009-02-05 18:48   ` Michael Bynum
From: Michael Bynum @ 2009-02-05 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I think I may have an older version of context here at work.  I
was able to use the deeptextcommand at home, but here at work it
wasn't working.  It doesn't seem to be recognized.  Was it a later
implementation perhaps that an older version wouldn't have?
Mike

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Michael Bynum wrote:
>
>> I, apparently, do not understand the syntax and/or uses of /def.  I am
>> trying to make section heads appear in all caps and underlined.  I
>> originally tried to just use \setuphead, but found that I using the
>> "textcommand" option I could only either capitalize or underline and
>> not both.  I then figured that using a macro was my next best option.
>> Below is what I tried and it does not work.  Can someone tell me what
>> I am doing wrong?
>>
>> \def\mysectionhead{\WORD\underbar}
>>
>> \setuphead[section]
>>  [number=no,
>>   textcommand=\mysectionhead,
>>   style={\tfa\bf}]
>>

> See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Formatting_Titles_with_.5Csetuphead
>
> and try to use deeptextcommand instead.
>
> Aditya

* \define was: Section format using /def
@ 2009-02-05 19:06     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.02.2009 um 19:45 schrieb Michael Bynum:

> Ah, I think I see. So "\define[1]\mysectionhead{\bfa
> \WORD{\underbar{#1}}}" would also be valid.  Is \define a context
> equivalent to the \def command for tex?  I couldn't find much
> documentation on it.

\define is ConTeXt's equivalent to \newcommand in LaTeX, you can set
with the optional parameter the number of arguments. It makes a check
if the command you create is already defined and writes a message to
the terminal.

Usage:

\define\commanda   {First Command}
\define[1]\commandb{Second command: #1}
\define[2]\commandc{Third command: #1 #2}

\starttext
\commanda
\commandb{text}
\commandc{text}{text}