* weekend update
@ 2021-07-23 17:05 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-07-23 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

This time the update has, appart from already mentioned mp fixes and
additions, another new feature.

% runpath=texruns:whatever

% runpath=e:/temporary/texruns/runtest
% runpath=temp:texruns/runtest
% runpath=home:texruns/runtest

\starttext
     test
\stoptext

In context the first line can be used to control some aspects of the run
and runpath (also as command line switch) will process the document
elsewhere. The main reason for this feature is that when you have files
in for instance a git repository (or export), you don't want the run
path to be polluted by temporary files because everything can end up in
the repository when it gets updates (after all these years I don't
expect this pollution issue to be solved; svn is more explicit in what
goes in).

So, for instance the manuals are on clean paths (on my machine i (am)
put(ting) experiments, todo's etc under an ignored /private subpath
which means that styles can still be found if needed).

The texruns: prefix resolves to an environment variable with the same
name or when not set, to the temp directory. The temp: and home:
prefixes resolve (as usual) to their counterparts (prefixes are a very
old mkii mechanism but still useful).

When not present a path will be created, when no chdir is possible the
run aborts.

There are probably some cases when resources are not found but that will
be dealt with in due time. I might also update the underlying mechanisms
at some point.

I already adapted some manuals so that means that when users process
these themselves they will not see the runfiles fly to the temp path
unless 'texruns' is configured. So be it.

Hans

* Re: weekend update
@ 2021-07-25  8:18 ` Richard Mahoney
From: Richard Mahoney @ 2021-07-25  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

For a good number of years now I've been using P4D and
P4V from Perforce for version control. As it happens it, one
is able to control what ends up in the repository and what
is left out, thankfully. Regardless, this should be very helpful
Hans. It'll be great to be able to quickly scan the project files
that matter, knowing that all the clutter is safely kept somewhere
else. So thanks for this.

Perforce, by the way. (Freely available for smaller projects):

P4D

https://www.perforce.com/downloads/helix-core-p4d

P4V

https://www.perforce.com/downloads/helix-visual-client-p4v

And the diff tool is absolutely excellent (the reason I first
went with it):

https://www.perforce.com/downloads/visual-merge-tool

Best, Richard

--