* ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 17:00 Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-01 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hi,
Just installed minimal on CentOS x86_64. The installation is ok, but
when I try pdftex, there is error:

> pdftex
pdftex: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by pdftex)

> yum list installed glibc*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Installed Packages
glibc.i686                                               2.5-42
                              installed
glibc.x86_64                                             2.5-42
                              installed
glibc-common.x86_64                                      2.5-42
                              installed
glibc-devel.x86_64                                       2.5-42
                              installed
glibc-headers.x86_64                                     2.5-42
                              installed

I have both glibc.i686 & glibc.x86_64 on my box.

Any help for this problem ?

Thanks in advance,

--
http://vnoss.org

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 17:47 ` Mojca Miklavec
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:00, Vnpenguin wrote:
> Hi,
> Just installed minimal on CentOS x86_64. The installation is ok, but
> when I try pdftex, there is error:
>
>> pdftex
> pdftex: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by pdftex)
>
> Any help for this problem ?

This is weird. Peter - did you upgrade your linux in the meantime by
any chance? (The update dates back to 17th October.)

I can roll back, but I don't know to which version. Are you familiar
with svn? Can you try to figure out what version works OK for you?

svn co http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals/bin/tex/linux-64/current/pdftex

and then you need to navigate back in time with

svn log
svn up -r 510 (or any other version)

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 17:48   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I forgot to ask: does only pdftex cause problems or also metapost,
luatex, xetex? It might help to know which of these programs still
work.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 17:50 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:00, Vnpenguin wrote:

> pdftex: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by pdftex)
>
> glibc.i686                                               2.5-42
>
> Any help for this problem ?

Yes, the easy answer would be "upgrade your linux", but we probably
want the binaries to run on slightly older machines as well.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:03   ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-11-01 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/1 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> Yes, the easy answer would be "upgrade your linux", but we probably
> want the binaries to run on slightly older machines as well.

Indeed. Btw: The binaries from TL run on SUSE 10.1 (which has glibc
2.4).

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:05   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:47, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:00, Vnpenguin wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Just installed minimal on CentOS x86_64. The installation is ok, but
>> when I try pdftex, there is error:
>>
>>> pdftex
>> pdftex: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by pdftex)
>>
>> Any help for this problem ?
>
> This is weird. Peter - did you upgrade your linux in the meantime by
> any chance? (The update dates back to 17th October.)

Or maybe I was too fast. I don't find the exact timeline of libc
development, so I have no idea how old your linux is. I thought that
this failure was recent, but apparently it's not (the garden most
probably has libc-2.8). For 32-bit linux we try to be *very* backward
compatible. For 64-bit Peter most probably has the oldest linux OS
running on 64-bit processor in the community.

You are the first one with something older. The problem is that either:
- we need to find someone that will compile the binaries on old-enough linux
- or, if you have a chance to figure out how to upgrade to something
that supports at least 2.7

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:09     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2009/11/1 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
>> Yes, the easy answer would be "upgrade your linux", but we probably
>> want the binaries to run on slightly older machines as well.
>
> Indeed. Btw: The binaries from TL run on SUSE 10.1 (which has glibc
> 2.4).

ah, so maybe you can learn mojca a few tricks then; does this mean that
tex live binaries have some built in magic that checks for libs?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-01 18:18     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:03, Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2009/11/1 Mojca Miklavec:
>> Yes, the easy answer would be "upgrade your linux", but we probably
>> want the binaries to run on slightly older machines as well.
>
> Indeed. Btw: The binaries from TL run on SUSE 10.1 (which has glibc
> 2.4).

I'm sweating ... trying to download Sarge DVD on this extra-slow
connection. And then you remind me that I have a big cartoon box of
original SuSE 7.2 right below my desk. (Maybe I should start
considering throwing away a few things like this one, though it seems
to come handy from time to time when one least expects it.)

(The only problem is that I'm not yet sure if SVN has already been
developed at the time when SuSE 7 has been released.)

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:21       ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-11-01 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/1 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> I'm sweating ... trying to download Sarge DVD on this extra-slow
> connection. And then you remind me that I have a big cartoon box of
> original SuSE 7.2 right below my desk. (Maybe I should start
> considering throwing away a few things like this one, though it seems
> to come handy from time to time when one least expects it.)

I tested with 10.1 (which still had 2.4).

> (The only problem is that I'm not yet sure if SVN has already been
> developed at the time when SuSE 7 has been released.)

Probably not. :-)

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:22       ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-11-01 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/1 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
> Martin Schröder wrote:
>> Indeed. Btw: The binaries from TL run on SUSE 10.1 (which has glibc
>> 2.4).
>
> ah, so maybe you can learn mojca a few tricks then; does this mean that tex
> live binaries have some built in magic that checks for libs?

No, they are simply build on old systems. Ask Peter. :-)

Best
    Martin

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:22     ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-01 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:48, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to ask: does only pdftex cause problems or also metapost,
> luatex, xetex? It might help to know which of these programs still
> work.
>

> mpost
mpost: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by mpost)

> luatex
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081914
 \write18 enabled.
**
(I used Ctrl+C to exit here)

> xetex
xetex: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found
(required by xetex)

My box is CentOS x86_64 5.4 with all updates.

Thanks

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:23         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2009/11/1 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>> Martin Schröder wrote:
>>> Indeed. Btw: The binaries from TL run on SUSE 10.1 (which has glibc
>>> 2.4).
>> ah, so maybe you can learn mojca a few tricks then; does this mean that tex
>> live binaries have some built in magic that checks for libs?
>
> No, they are simply build on old systems. Ask Peter. :-)

ah, so they're static binaries

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-01 18:24   ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:50, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:00, Vnpenguin wrote:
>>
>> pdftex: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by pdftex)
>>
>> glibc.i686                                               2.5-42
>>
>> Any help for this problem ?
>
> Yes, the easy answer would be "upgrade your linux", but we probably
> want the binaries to run on slightly older machines as well.

My box CentOS 5.4 with all updates. What do you mean "upgrade" ?

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:28           ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-11-01 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/1 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
> Martin Schröder wrote:
>> No, they are simply build on old systems. Ask Peter. :-)
>
> ah, so they're static binaries

Mostly. glibc is not statically linked.

> ldd Master/bin/x86_64-linux/pdftex
        libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00002b1771708000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00002b177195b000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00002b17714eb000)

Best
    Martin

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:30     ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-11-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/1 Vnpenguin <vnpenguin@vnoss.org>:
> My box CentOS 5.4 with all updates. What do you mean "upgrade" ?

What glibc-version do you have? rpm -qi glibc?

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:32     ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-11-01 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/1 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> Or maybe I was too fast. I don't find the exact timeline of libc
> development, so I have no idea how old your linux is. I thought that
> this failure was recent, but apparently it's not (the garden most
> probably has libc-2.8). For 32-bit linux we try to be *very* backward
> compatible. For 64-bit Peter most probably has the oldest linux OS
> running on 64-bit processor in the community.
>
> You are the first one with something older. The problem is that either:
> - we need to find someone that will compile the binaries on old-enough linux
> - or, if you have a chance to figure out how to upgrade to something
> that supports at least 2.7

2.7 is quite new, and 2.8 is very new. My SUSE 10.3 (which is now two
years old and will be upgraded soon) has 2.6.1.

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 18:36       ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:30, Martin Schröder <martin@oneiros.de> wrote:
> 2009/11/1 Vnpenguin <vnpenguin@vnoss.org>:
>> My box CentOS 5.4 with all updates. What do you mean "upgrade" ?
>
> What glibc-version do you have? rpm -qi glibc?

# yum list installed glibc\*
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Installed Packages
glibc.i686                                               2.5-42
                              installed
glibc.x86_64                                          2.5-42
                           installed

# rpm -qi glibc
Name        : glibc                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.5                               Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 42                            Build Date: Thu 03 Sep
2009 02:19:32 AM CEST
Install Date: Mon 26 Oct 2009 10:15:57 AM CET      Build Host:
builder10.centos.org
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM: glibc-2.5-42.src.rpm
Size        : 11658002                         License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 01 Oct 2009 02:40:46 AM CEST, Key ID
a8a447dce8562897
Summary     : The GNU libc libraries.
Description :
The glibc package contains standard libraries which are used by
multiple programs on the system. In order to save disk space and
memory, as well as to make upgrading easier, common system code is
kept in one place and shared between programs. This particular package
contains the most important sets of shared libraries: the standard C
library and the standard math library. Without these two libraries, a
Linux system will not function.
Name        : glibc                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.5                               Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 42                            Build Date: Thu 03 Sep
2009 02:56:59 AM CEST
Install Date: Mon 26 Oct 2009 10:16:12 AM CET      Build Host:
builder16.centos.org
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM: glibc-2.5-42.src.rpm
Size        : 12629247                         License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 01 Oct 2009 02:40:45 AM CEST, Key ID

@ 2009-11-01 18:59     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:24, Vnpenguin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:50, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 18:00, Vnpenguin wrote:
>>>
>>> pdftex: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by pdftex)
>>>
>>> glibc.i686                                               2.5-42
>>>
>>> Any help for this problem ?
>>
>> Yes, the easy answer would be "upgrade your linux", but we probably
>> want the binaries to run on slightly older machines as well.
>
> My box CentOS 5.4 with all updates. What do you mean "upgrade" ?

Hello,

Apparently it means that CentOS uses something like a
several-years-span-back-in-time libc library and you cannot do much
about it. That's no problem in general since you would not take a
suse-compiled firefox and take the binary to your CentOS.

You are the first user that has complained so far (most probably
because you are the first user to try ConTeXt on CentOS). There are
several options:
a) (dangerous; I would not do it) install a more recent version of
libc on your machine
b) we need to set up some virtual machine with an old linux and
compile binaries there or find someone else with a reasonably old
64-bit linux server
c) you would need to compile the binaries for minimals on regular basis
d) since LuaTeX works fine, just stick to MKIV (MKII is highly
unsuitable for writing Vietnamese anyway :) :) :)
e) Reinhard was trying to convince me to typeset some of his
Vietnamese documents in ConTeXt back in May. Those test documents have
revealed quite some bugs in font setups in ConTeXt MKII. If Reinhard
still neeeds fixed Vietnamese in ConTeXt MKII, we'll gladly give him
svn account to commit 64-bit linux binaries for minimals, so that he
doesn't get out of "the art of compiling TeX binaries exercise"
between the long breaks in TeX Live releases.

I suggest you to go for D, at least for a moment. The rest highly
depends on you. E is not to be taken too seriously.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 20:10       ` Vnpenguin
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-01 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:59, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:24, Vnpenguin wrote:

>>> Yes, the easy answer would be "upgrade your linux", but we probably
>>> want the binaries to run on slightly older machines as well.
>>
>> My box CentOS 5.4 with all updates. What do you mean "upgrade" ?
>
> Hello,
>
> Apparently it means that CentOS uses something like a
> several-years-span-back-in-time libc library and you cannot do much
> about it. That's no problem in general since you would not take a
> suse-compiled firefox and take the binary to your CentOS.

Hey, CentOS 5.4 just released on 21-May-2009 :-) If I have problem
with ConTeXt on CentOS 5.4 so all users of RHEL 5.4 are the same: they
can not!

> You are the first user that has complained so far (most probably
> because you are the first user to try ConTeXt on CentOS). There are
> several options:
> a) (dangerous; I would not do it) install a more recent version of
> libc on your machine

It's NOT possible.

> b) we need to set up some virtual machine with an old linux and
> compile binaries there or find someone else with a reasonably old
> 64-bit linux server

> c) you would need to compile the binaries for minimals on regular basis

Howto do this ? Is there any guide ?

> d) since LuaTeX works fine, just stick to MKIV (MKII is highly
> unsuitable for writing Vietnamese anyway :) :) :)
> e) Reinhard was trying to convince me to typeset some of his
> Vietnamese documents in ConTeXt back in May. Those test documents have
> revealed quite some bugs in font setups in ConTeXt MKII. If Reinhard
> still neeeds fixed Vietnamese in ConTeXt MKII, we'll gladly give him
> svn account to commit 64-bit linux binaries for minimals, so that he
> doesn't get out of "the art of compiling TeX binaries exercise"
> between the long breaks in TeX Live releases.

I setup ConTeXt to test some things at work, nothing to see with vietnamese yet.

If it's not possible with ConTeXt minimal distro, maybe I'll go for TeXlive.

Thanks

--

@ 2009-11-01 20:15         ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-01 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hey, CentOS 5.4 just released on 21-May-2009 :-) If I have problem
> with ConTeXt on CentOS 5.4 so all users of RHEL 5.4 are the same: they
> can not!

Correction: CentOS 5.4 was released on 21-Oct-2009. So it's not so
"old" at all :-)

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 20:25         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 21:10, Vnpenguin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 19:59, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Apparently it means that CentOS uses something like a
>> several-years-span-back-in-time libc library and you cannot do much
>> about it. That's no problem in general since you would not take a
>> suse-compiled firefox and take the binary to your CentOS.
>
> Hey, CentOS 5.4 just released on 21-Oct-2009 :-) If I have problem
> with ConTeXt on CentOS 5.4 so all users of RHEL 5.4 are the same: they
> can not!

Yes, I have noticed.

People often reply to come to mailing list saying "I have installed
the brand new Ubuntu" and yet they have something like 4-year-old
ConTeXt.

This is nothing bad. It's just a bad luck in this particular case, but
we'll solve it.

>> c) you would need to compile the binaries for minimals on regular basis
>
> Howto do this ? Is there any guide ?

Not really. Just the first line of
    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals/Implementation
that says
     svn co http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals-src/build-binaries
and then you need to run the script build-binaries (but it will fail
since you don't have the rights yet).

You may try to run ./update-binaries.sh first and then compile pdftex
to start with (it returns warnings, but feel free to ignore them; the
binary should nevertheless be there). We can create you an account,
but we need to talk first just to agree on the building schedule.

> If it's not possible with ConTeXt minimal distro, maybe I'll go for TeXlive.

Are you planning to use MKII (pdftex) or MKIV (unicode and opentype
fonts with luatex)? In TeX Live the MKIV support is hardly usable, but
feel free to go testing TeX Live. You may install TL 2009 in a really
minimalistic way. (Almost the same size as minimals, and in completely
isolated folder.)

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 20:33           ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2009-11-01 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/1 Vnpenguin <vnpenguin@vnoss.org>:
> Correction: CentOS 5.4 was released on 21-Oct-2009. So it's not so
> "old" at all :-)

Sorry, but it is. It's a free version of RHEL5, which was initially
released in 2007.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centos

It you want something modern, use e.g. Fedora.

Best
   Martin

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 20:37             ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-01 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 21:33, Martin Schröder <martin@oneiros.de> wrote:
> 2009/11/1 Vnpenguin <vnpenguin@vnoss.org>:
>> Correction: CentOS 5.4 was released on 21-Oct-2009. So it's not so
>> "old" at all :-)
>
> Sorry, but it is. It's a free version of RHEL5, which was initially
> released in 2007.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centos
>
> It you want something modern, use e.g. Fedora.

Yes, I see. But in our production environment, we use only RHEL & CentOS.

Thanks
--

@ 2009-11-01 20:45             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-01 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vnpenguin, what kernel is running on your OS?

If we set up a virtual machine for compiling binaries - does anyone
have a suggesting what OS to take, so that it will remain compatible
with as many x86_64 processors as possible? (Apparently glibc and
kerner are the deciding factors; but it needs to have support for
64-bit machines that are not as old as it seems after all.)

Reinhard - what linux are you using for TL?

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-01 20:59               ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-01 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 21:45, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vnpenguin, what kernel is running on your OS?

The current kernel is:

> uname -r
2.6.18-164.2.1.el5

> If we set up a virtual machine for compiling binaries - does anyone
> have a suggesting what OS to take, so that it will remain compatible
> with as many x86_64 processors as possible? (Apparently glibc and
> kerner are the deciding factors; but it needs to have support for
> 64-bit machines that are not as old as it seems after all.)

If you would like to put ConTeXt in industrial/business world you can
not ignore RHEL & CentOS :-)

Thanks,
--

@ 2009-11-01 21:33               ` Reinhard Kotucha
From: Reinhard Kotucha @ 2009-11-01 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 November 2009 Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > Vnpenguin, what kernel is running on your OS?
 >
 > If we set up a virtual machine for compiling binaries - does anyone
 > have a suggesting what OS to take, so that it will remain compatible
 > with as many x86_64 processors as possible? (Apparently glibc and
 > kerner are the deciding factors; but it needs to have support for
 > 64-bit machines that are not as old as it seems after all.)
 >
 > Reinhard - what linux are you using for TL?

# uname -a
Linux zaphod 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP Mon Apr 14 01:07:33 CEST 2008 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

But please note that the binaries for this platform were provided by
Peter Breitenlohner this year.  His system is even older than mine.
It's better to ask him if you need the details (peb at mppmu.mpg.de).

BTW, the glibc is much more important than the kernel.  And maybe the
version of gcc matters, too.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover	                      mailto:reinhard.kotucha@web.de

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-02  7:24   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-11-02  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 01 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> >> pdftex
> > pdftex: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by pdftex)
> >
> > Any help for this problem ?
>
> This is weird. Peter - did you upgrade your linux in the meantime by
> any chance? (The update dates back to 17th October.)

Hello,

Indeed, I've updated my glibc accidentally¹ on 5th October
from 2.9 to 2.10.

So all binaries, that I've built after this date are affected by this
problem (dependency on GLIBC_2.7). Example for luatex:

~/minimals/bin/linux-64/current/luatex> ldd -v beta-0.4[34].0/luatex
beta-0.43.0/luatex:
    linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffb6384000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007f65e6474000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f65e611b000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f65e66ca000)

    Version information:
    beta-0.43.0/luatex:
        ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
        libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib64/libc.so.6
        libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.5) => /lib64/libc.so.6
        libm.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.5) => /lib64/libm.so.6
    /lib64/libm.so.6:
        libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.5) => /lib64/libc.so.6
    /lib64/libc.so.6:
        ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (GLIBC_PRIVATE) => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
        ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
beta-0.44.0/luatex:
    linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007ffffdfff000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007f53c4dbb000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f53c4a62000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f53c5011000)

    Version information:
    beta-0.44.0/luatex:
        ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
        libm.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.5) => /lib64/libm.so.6
        libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib64/libc.so.6
        libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.7) => /lib64/libc.so.6
        libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.5) => /lib64/libc.so.6
    /lib64/libm.so.6:
        libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.2.5) => /lib64/libc.so.6
    /lib64/libc.so.6:
        ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (GLIBC_PRIVATE) => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
        ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (GLIBC_2.3) => /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

I've just downgraded my glibc to 2.9 and I'm now rebuilding metapost,
luatex and pdftex. We will see in about 1 hour, if this solves the problem.

Cheers, Peter

Note 1: I only wanted to update my glib, so I've done a
        ' zypper up "*glib*" '.

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: ConTeXt Minimal: error pdftex on CentOS x86_64
@ 2009-11-02  8:20         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-11-02  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 01 2009, Vnpenguin wrote:

> > a) (dangerous; I would not do it) install a more recent version of
> > libc on your machine
>
> It's NOT possible.

Hello Vnpenguin,

Why not?

> > b) we need to set up some virtual machine with an old linux and
> > compile binaries there or find someone else with a reasonably old
> > 64-bit linux server

I could set up such a system, but not immediately (in a few weeks probably).

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2009-11-02  8:27       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-11-02  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 01 2009, Vnpenguin wrote:

> > xetex
> xetex: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found
> (required by xetex)

Hello,

Here, I don't know how to help. I've these packages on my system:

libstdc++33-3.3.3
libstdc++33-devel-3.3.3
libstdc++41-devel-4.1.3_20080612
libstdc++43-devel-4.3.3_20080904
libstdc++44-4.4.0_20090519
libstdc++-devel-4.3

But I don't know how to select the library for building xetex...

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2009-11-02  8:34           ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2009-11-02  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 09:20, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01 2009, Vnpenguin wrote:
>
>> > a) (dangerous; I would not do it) install a more recent version of
>> > libc on your machine
>>
>> It's NOT possible.
>
> Hello Vnpenguin,
>
> Why not?

In our production environment, only RHEL & CentOS are used, and all
installations are up-to-date with main stream distribution. So an
update of glibc is not authorized.