* German ConTeXt Initiative
       [not found] <af24ee121003131141h43c55752i5a4e45fba28e2179@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-03-14 18:40 ` Mojca Miklavec
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-14 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Two Germans suggested to start a forum in addition to the existing mailing list.

Even though it might be a problem to get enough active people to
participate, I see no reason for not enabling the forum on the garden
as opposed to using some arbitrary web page.

Any thoughts, ideas and comments about selection of software for
running a forum are welcome. (I was also thinking about HyperNews
which is a forum with "mailing list interface".)

Mojca

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 20:41, Hannes Riebl wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> my name is Hannes. I've set up the german ConTeXt board on
> http://context.pytalhost.de/.
>
> Yasser asked me to contact you because of our idea to start a german
> community platform for ConTeXt.
>
> We both prefer a board instead of a mailing list because we think it's
> easier to use especially for unexperienced users. Another reason is that I'm
> not very experienced with mailing lists and have never set up one neither do
> I know HyperNews. I personally like PunBB because it's lightwight and easy
> to set up and administer.
>
> In order to have a centralized ConTeXt community you proposed to run the
> board on contextgarden.net. I think that's a good idea. Would you provide a
> subdomain? Could the board be installed on the same server on which the wiki
> running on? At the moment it is running on a free webspace. Therefore we
> have ads on the site.
>
> Waiting for your answer. =)
>
> Regards,
> Hannes
> We will not get any users for ConTeXt when there is no knowledge in germany.
> And some good examples of documents createt with context.
>
> Our plan is more to write a german book on ConTeXt. Not a reference manual
> (who are we to write it) but a step by step instruction how to write a
> thesis. Academia and thesises is the main task to be targeted, so want to
> write the according book.
>
> We want to organize it in this forum. To get users will be easy when we can
> (I repeat myself here) get a link to the forum in the wikipedia article. I
> hope that the responsible admins will include it.
>
> I hope you got what I meant.

* Re: German ConTeXt Initiative
@ 2010-03-14 19:23   ` Vedran Miletić
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2010-03-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/3/14 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> Two Germans suggested to start a forum in addition to the existing mailing list.
>
> Even though it might be a problem to get enough active people to
> participate, I see no reason for not enabling the forum on the garden
> as opposed to using some arbitrary web page.

Indeed.

> Any thoughts, ideas and comments about selection of software for
> running a forum are welcome. (I was also thinking about HyperNews
> which is a forum with "mailing list interface".)
>
> Mojca

I find this part particularly intereresting:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 20:41, Hannes Riebl wrote:
>> Our plan is more to write a german book on ConTeXt. Not a reference manual
>> (who are we to write it) but a step by step instruction how to write a
>> thesis. Academia and thesises is the main task to be targeted, so want to
>> write the according book.

If we could have such an article in english, maybe there would be
other people willing to translate it to their own native language,
myself included.

Regards,

--
Vedran Miletić

* Re: German ConTeXt Initiative
@ 2010-03-14 19:54   ` Peter Münster
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-03-14 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 14 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Any thoughts, ideas and comments about selection of software for
> running a forum are welcome. (I was also thinking about HyperNews
> which is a forum with "mailing list interface".)

Hello Mojca,

What are the advantages of a forum over a mailing list?

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: German ConTeXt Initiative
@ 2010-03-14 19:59   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-03-14 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 14 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> > We both prefer a board instead of a mailing list because we think it's
> > easier to use especially for unexperienced users. Another reason is that I'm
> > not very experienced with mailing lists and have never set up one neither do
> > I know HyperNews. I personally like PunBB because it's lightwight and easy
> > to set up and administer.

Pardon Mojca, I've seen your quoting below your message too late...
Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2010-03-14 20:13     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-03-14 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 20:54, Peter Münster wrote:

> What are the advantages of a forum over a mailing list?

Apart from what Hannes wrote, one of advantages that I see is that for
someone who is not actively participating, it's a bit annoying to
recieve 40 mails per day that do not interest him at all just in order
to be able to recieve the answer.

If there would be some software, I would prefer a solution that would
work as a hybrid between forum and mailing list though (for someone
who is not willing to be subscribed, it would work as a forum with
ability to mark that one wants to get a notification when someone
answers). For others it would work as a mailing list ...

It would also be nice to be able to add some additional marks. For
example, I would find it helpful if users (or maybe a few moderators)
could mark threads with:
- bug report / feature request / question for usage / discussion
- waiting for satisfactory answer / resolved / fixed
- some topic-related marks
then it would also be easier to search through archives (for example
if one would decide to write an extensive testbed including all the
bugs that have ever appeared or if Hans had plenty of time and decided
to review pending feature requests etc.).

I was impressed by HyperNews, although it could offer a bit better
user interface (example of usage:
http://hypernews.slac.stanford.edu/HyperNews/geant4/cindex).

Mojca

* Re: German ConTeXt Initiative
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-03-14 22:40   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-14 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hannes Riebl, Mojca Miklavec, Yasser El-Hawari

On 14-3-2010 19:40, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Two Germans suggested to start a forum in addition to the existing mailing list.
>
> Even though it might be a problem to get enough active people to
> participate, I see no reason for not enabling the forum on the garden
> as opposed to using some arbitrary web page.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas and comments about selection of software for
> running a forum are welcome. (I was also thinking about HyperNews
> which is a forum with "mailing list interface".)

another option is to let dante host it

anyway, i think that at least we need to keep track of fora if only
because there might be interesting examples showing up that can make it
onto the wiki

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: German ConTeXt Initiative
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-03-15  6:23   ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-03-15  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 20:41, Hannes Riebl wrote:
>> Hi Mojca,
>>
>> my name is Hannes. I've set up the german ConTeXt board on
>> http://context.pytalhost.de/.
>>
>> Yasser asked me to contact you because of our idea to start a german
>> community platform for ConTeXt.
>>
>> We both prefer a board instead of a mailing list because we think it's
>> easier to use especially for unexperienced users. Another reason is that I'm
>> not very experienced with mailing lists and have never set up one neither do
>> I know HyperNews. I personally like PunBB because it's lightwight and easy
>> to set up and administer.

Yep, one vote for PunBB :-)