* [NTG-context] Google's Roboto Flex font typescript and goodies definition.
@ 2023-04-18 10:37 Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context
From: Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context @ 2023-04-18 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Everyone,
Following my attempts to create and learn Context's ways to manage fonts, I
would like to ask about the following:

I've created the structure for fonts in texmf-local folder and after
running scripts they are listed. The output for Roboto Flex is as follows:
identifier                          familyname   fontname
 filename         subfont   instances

robotoflex                          robotoflex   robotoflexregular
robotoflex.ttf             thin extralight light regular medium semibold
bold extrabold black extrablack thinitalic extralightitalic lightitalic
italic mediumitalic semibolditalic bolditalic extrabolditalic blackitalic
extrablackitalic

What is the proper way to use family name or font name to create a
typescript file and a goodies file to take advantage of optical sizes.
Google's Roboto Flex is an upgraded Roboto as a variable font.

I know that this topic has been discussed many times and I've read the
fonts manual but still have these questions. Most of the examples are
rather ready solutions or templates but not always cover ways how to figure
out values from scratch and how they correspond.

Thanks for help,
Pawel

* Re: [NTG-context] Google's Roboto Flex font typescript and goodies definition.
@ 2023-04-18 13:29 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-18 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/18/2023 12:37 PM, Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context wrote:
> Dear Everyone,
> Following my attempts to create and learn Context's ways to manage
> fonts, I would like to ask about the following:
>
> I've created the structure for fonts in texmf-local folder and after
> running scripts they are listed. The output for Roboto Flex is as follows:
> identifier                          familyname   fontname
>   filename         subfont   instances
>
> robotoflex                          robotoflex   robotoflexregular
> robotoflex.ttf             thin extralight light regular medium semibold
> bold extrabold black extrablack thinitalic extralightitalic lightitalic
> italic mediumitalic semibolditalic bolditalic extrabolditalic
> blackitalic extrablackitalic
>
> What is the proper way to use family name or font name to create a
> typescript file and a goodies file to take advantage of optical sizes.
> Google's Roboto Flex is an upgraded Roboto as a variable font.
>
> I know that this topic has been discussed many times and I've read the
> fonts manual but still have these questions. Most of the examples are
> rather ready solutions or templates but not always cover ways how to
> figure out values from scratch and how they correspond.
all these naames and combining them into 'regular-bold' pairs is pretty
much a visual thing as these names are not used consistently; when you
just use four fonts, a simple few line tyopescript will do (no need to
make an imp file, just put it in your style)

(variable fonts is not really improving this)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] Google's Roboto Flex font typescript and goodies definition.
@ 2023-04-18 13:52 ` Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context
From: Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context @ 2023-04-18 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,
I will write what I want to acomplish. While it is definitely thrivial, I'm
either missing something obvious or more experienced users suffer from the
curse of knowledge.

I want ot use Roboto Flex for my chapter and section heads with Garamond
Premier for the body contents.

I followed the Context wiki example and consistant examples from the web.

Here is my code:
\usemodule[fonts-variable]
\definefontfamily[roboto-flex][ss][rotoboflex]
% robotoflex.ttf is the recognized font file name.
\setuphead[chapter]
[style={\switchtobodyfont[roboto-flex,20pt]\ss}]

While the Garamond is embedded and text is styled, the chapter tible is
typeset with Garamond not Roboto.

Any hints or feed back will be very appriciated.

Thank you,

@ 2023-04-18 14:14   ` Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context
From: Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context @ 2023-04-18 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2023-04-18 15:39   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-18 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/18/2023 3:52 PM, Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi Hans,
> I will write what I want to acomplish. While it is definitely thrivial,
> I'm either missing something obvious or more experienced users suffer
> from the curse of knowledge.
>
> I want ot use Roboto Flex for my chapter and section heads with Garamond
> Premier for the body contents.
>
> I followed the Context wiki example and consistant examples from the web.
>
> Here is my code:
> \usemodule[fonts-variable]
> \definefontfamily[roboto-flex][ss][rotoboflex]
> % robotoflex.ttf is the recognized font file name.
> \setuphead[chapter]
> [style={\switchtobodyfont[roboto-flex,20pt]\ss}]
>
> While the Garamond is embedded and text is styled, the chapter tible is
> typeset with Garamond not Roboto.
>
> Any hints or feed back will be very appriciated.
\usetypescriptfile[ebgaramond]

\starttypescript [sans] [robotoflex]
     \setups[font:fallback:sans]
     \definefontsynonym [Sans]          [name:robotoflexregular]
     \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]    [name:robotoflexregularitalic]
     \definefontsynonym [SansBold]      [name:robotoflexregularbold]
     \definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic][name:robotoflexregularbolditalic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[robocop]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [ebgaramond]
[default]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [ss] [sans]  [robotoflex]
[default]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [tt] [mono]  [dejavu]
[default] [rscale=0.8]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [ebgaramond] [default]
\stoptypescript

\setupbodyfont[robocop]

\setuphead[chapter][style=\ssbfd]

\starttext

     \startchapter[title=Whatever]
         \input tufte
     \stopchapter

     \page

     \usemodule[fonts-variable]

     \showfontvariations[font=file:robotoflex.ttf]

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] Google's Roboto Flex font typescript and goodies definition.
@ 2023-04-19 14:06     ` Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context
From: Pawel Urbanski via ntg-context @ 2023-04-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans,

Thank you for the template. Roboto Flex gets embedded in the generated
PDF document.

I read the co-fonts manual and the wiki once again. I'll try to put
together a handful of ideas for rewriting the wiki to make certain
concepts more friendly for beginners.

My next step will be to create a proper working
type-imp-roboto-flex.mkiv and type-imp-roboto.mkiv for the non-variable
font edtion to be more portable. Roboto is a very good font and is
recommended as a body font for presentations or headings, which made me
use in the first place.

I must admit that I am struggling a bit but will try to take small steps
when creating that typescrip definition file.

All the best and thank you,

Pawel