* Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-10  9:41 Vasile Gaburici
From: Vasile Gaburici @ 2008-08-10  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Problems:
- Bold is not listed for *any* font from OSFONTDIR = C:/windows/fonts
- Typesetting with any specified font fails

C:\tlhome\Vasile>mtxrun --script fonts --list | qgrep Calibri
calibri                                     Calibri
        Calibri.otf
calibri bold italic                         Calibri Bold Italic
        Calibri Bold Italic.otf
calibri italic                              Calibri Italic
        Calibri Italic.otf

C:\tlhome\Vasile>more hellolua.tex
\font\x=calibri at 64pt
\x Hello \TeX!
\bye

C:\tlhome\Vasile>luatex hellolua.tex
This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.4-2008071819 (Web2C 7.5.7)
(hellolua.tex
! Font \x=calibri at 64pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.
<to be read again>
                   \x
l.2 \x
       Hello \TeX!
?X

C:\tlhome\Vasile>more hellolua.tex
\font\x=cyklop-regular at 64pt
\x Hello \TeX!
\bye

C:\tlhome\Vasile>mtxrun --script fonts --list | qgrep Cyklop
cyklop-italic                               Cyklop-Italic
        cyklop-italic.otf
cyklop-regular                              Cyklop-Regular
        cyklop-regular.otf

C:\tlhome\Vasile>luatex hellolua.tex
This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.4-2008071819 (Web2C 7.5.7)
(hellolua.tex
! Font \x=cyklop-regular at 64pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.
<to be read again>
                   \x
l.2 \x
       Hello \TeX!
?X

* Re: Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-11  8:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-11  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> Problems:
> - Bold is not listed for *any* font from OSFONTDIR = C:/windows/fonts
> - Typesetting with any specified font fails

your subject says 'texlive', best use the latest minimals (teh texl iv
eversion has been frozen some time ago and may not be perfect in the
system font department); btw, there will be zips with minimals (cf
garden) on the tex collection dvd

> C:\tlhome\Vasile>mtxrun --script fonts --list | qgrep Calibri
> calibri                                     Calibri
>         Calibri.otf
> calibri bold italic                         Calibri Bold Italic
>         Calibri Bold Italic.otf
> calibri italic                              Calibri Italic
>         Calibri Italic.otf
>
> C:\tlhome\Vasile>more hellolua.tex
> \font\x=calibri at 64pt
> \x Hello \TeX!
> \bye
>
> C:\tlhome\Vasile>luatex hellolua.tex
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.4-2008071819 (Web2C 7.5.7)
> (hellolua.tex
> ! Font \x=calibri at 64pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.
> <to be read again>
>                    \x
> l.2 \x
>        Hello \TeX!
> ?X
>
> C:\tlhome\Vasile>more hellolua.tex
> \font\x=cyklop-regular at 64pt
> \x Hello \TeX!
> \bye
>
> C:\tlhome\Vasile>mtxrun --script fonts --list | qgrep Cyklop
> cyklop-italic                               Cyklop-Italic
>         cyklop-italic.otf
> cyklop-regular                              Cyklop-Regular
>         cyklop-regular.otf
>
> C:\tlhome\Vasile>luatex hellolua.tex
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.4-2008071819 (Web2C 7.5.7)
> (hellolua.tex
> ! Font \x=cyklop-regular at 64pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.
> <to be read again>
>                    \x
> l.2 \x
>        Hello \TeX!
> ?X

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-08-11  8:21 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-11  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> Problems:
> - Bold is not listed for *any* font from OSFONTDIR = C:/windows/fonts

That is odd indeed. I have *no* idea what is going on, sorry. Hans
may be able to help.

> - Typesetting with any specified font fails

In plain TeX this is expected. You are not running context at all.

> C:\tlhome\Vasile>luatex hellolua.tex

Try this instead:

   C:\tlhome\Vasile>context hellolua.tex

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-11 11:05   ` Vasile Gaburici
From: Vasile Gaburici @ 2008-08-11 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Vasile Gaburici wrote:
>>
>> Problems:
>> - Bold is not listed for *any* font from OSFONTDIR = C:/windows/fonts
>
> That is odd indeed. I have *no* idea what is going on, sorry. Hans
> may be able to help.

Could it a problem with the cache/hash? Bold is a prefix of Bold Italic...
FYI: XeTeX had a somewhat similar problem in 0.999.4; it got fixed in 0.999.5.

>> - Typesetting with any specified font fails
>
> In plain TeX this is expected. You are not running context at all.

I know; I was taking it one step at a time. I assume LuaTeX will
(eventually) be usable even without ConTeXt...

>> C:\tlhome\Vasile>luatex hellolua.tex
>
> Try this instead:
>
>  C:\tlhome\Vasile>context hellolua.tex

Thanks, I'll try it later today; I don't have the windows box with me
right now...

@ 2008-08-11 14:55   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-08-11 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Vasile Gaburici wrote:
>> Problems:
>> - Bold is not listed for *any* font from OSFONTDIR = C:/windows/fonts
>> - Typesetting with any specified font fails
>
> your subject says 'texlive', best use the latest minimals (teh texl iv
> eversion has been frozen some time ago and may not be perfect in the
> system font department);

Hans, I know that the version on TL has been frozen, but there is one
tiny problem - with MacTeX, the version of ConTeXt MKIV on TeX Live
doesn't work at all, while the latest version works out of the box.
This is related to the 200-mails long thread and fixes that you did on
behalf of Oliver (mostly about searching for texmf.cnf)

(Maybe it's just on purpuse and you want to say - if you want to use
mkiv, update ConTeXt first, else it's useless anyway :)

Mojca

* Re: Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-11 15:07     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-11 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Vasile Gaburici wrote:
>>> Problems:
>>> - Bold is not listed for *any* font from OSFONTDIR = C:/windows/fonts
>>> - Typesetting with any specified font fails
>> your subject says 'texlive', best use the latest minimals (teh texl iv
>> eversion has been frozen some time ago and may not be perfect in the
>> system font department);
>
> Hans, I know that the version on TL has been frozen, but there is one
> tiny problem - with MacTeX, the version of ConTeXt MKIV on TeX Live
> doesn't work at all, while the latest version works out of the box.
> This is related to the 200-mails long thread and fixes that you did on
> behalf of Oliver (mostly about searching for texmf.cnf)
>
> (Maybe it's just on purpuse and you want to say - if you want to use
> mkiv, update ConTeXt first, else it's useless anyway :)

well, it's up to taco to decide what to update and patch last minute in
the context part of tex live

(as far as i understood the only problem was using platform fonts)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-08-11 15:14       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-11 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>> (Maybe it's just on purpuse and you want to say - if you want to use
>> mkiv, update ConTeXt first, else it's useless anyway :)
>
> well, it's up to taco to decide what to update and patch last minute in
> the context part of tex live

There is no point doing anything about context in texlive right now,
it is way too dangerous. we have working mkii on texlive and even
a (mostly) working xetex, I don't want to endanger that just so that
the mkiv (with its old luatex.exe) will work a little better.

Once texlive 2008 is out for a while, we can think about updating
the context and luatex in it (together).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-11 15:54       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-08-11 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> your subject says 'texlive', best use the latest minimals (teh texl iv
>>> eversion has been frozen some time ago and may not be perfect in the
>>> system font department);
>>
>> Hans, I know that the version on TL has been frozen, but there is one
>> tiny problem - with MacTeX, the version of ConTeXt MKIV on TeX Live
>> doesn't work at all, while the latest version works out of the box.
>> This is related to the 200-mails long thread and fixes that you did on
>> behalf of Oliver (mostly about searching for texmf.cnf)
>>
>> (Maybe it's just on purpuse and you want to say - if you want to use
>> mkiv, update ConTeXt first, else it's useless anyway :)
>
> well, it's up to taco to decide what to update and patch last minute in
> the context part of tex live
>
> (as far as i understood the only problem was using platform fonts)

No, on MacTeX it fails completely, but I agree with Taco's remark that
it's a bit dangerous to simply take the latest ConTeXt.

Mojca

* Re: Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-12  5:43   ` Vasile Gaburici
From: Vasile Gaburici @ 2008-08-12  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Try this instead:
>
>  C:\tlhome\Vasile>context hellolua.tex

Yeah, this works properly, so with the 0.25.4 version of luaTeX what
ships with TeXLive 2008, one needs to pass plain TeX input through
ConTeXt mk IV in order to get the (plain) luaTeX font selection
working properly. At least it works somehow :)

* Re: Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-12  6:13         ` Vasile Gaburici
From: Vasile Gaburici @ 2008-08-12  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> There is no point doing anything about context in texlive right now,
> it is way too dangerous. we have working mkii on texlive and even
> a (mostly) working xetex, I don't want to endanger that just so that
> the mkiv (with its old luatex.exe) will work a little better.

What do you mean "(mostly) working xetex"? It's just been updated to
0.999.6. Work pretty well for me...

* Re: Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-12  6:29           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-08-12  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

> What do you mean "(mostly) working xetex"? It's just been updated to
> 0.999.6. Work pretty well for me...

old xetex is known to work very will with the old version of context on ctan.
so the new xetex is just a (mostly) working xetex. It might/might no
have some problem when running context.

Yue Wang

* Re: Font bugs on Windows (TeXLive 2008)
@ 2008-08-12  7:35     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-12  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>> Try this instead:
>>
>>  C:\tlhome\Vasile>context hellolua.tex
>
> Yeah, this works properly, so with the 0.25.4 version of luaTeX what
> ships with TeXLive 2008, one needs to pass plain TeX input through
> ConTeXt mk IV in order to get the (plain) luaTeX font selection
> working properly. At least it works somehow :)

Not quite. There is no such thing as a plain luatex font selection.
This worked because context can handle simple plain tex files, but
you are really running context, not plain.

Best wishes,
Taco