* mtxrun --noquotes on windows
@ 2009-04-10 18:40 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-10 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that mtxrun --noquotes behaves differently on windows and linux.
Can someone on windows (who has vim) check the following. Run

mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"set tabstop=8\" test.tex"

You will enter in vim. Press :qa! to exit vim. What does the output on the
terminal say? On my linux machine, I get

MTXrun | executing: vim -u NONE -c "set tabstop=8" test.tex

Andy Wong tested it on windows and he gets

MTXrun | executing: vim -u NONE -c "set tabstop=8" "test.tex

Notice the spurious " before test.tex. This causes t-vim to fail on
windows. Do others on windows get the same behavour? I do not see a reason
why mtxrun should behave differently on linux and windows.

Thanks,
Aditya

* Re: mtxrun --noquotes on windows
@ 2009-04-10 19:19 ` Andy Wong
From: Andy Wong @ 2009-04-10 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I may not write it clear in my previous email. I run the command as

mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"set tabstop=8\" \"test.tex\""

which got the mtxrun output has spurious " before test.tex. if omit the \"
around the test.tex, like this,

 mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"set tabstop=8\" test.tex"

there are no spurious " in mtxrun output. However, both will make vim open a
new file named "tabset=8" and the test.tex to be edited. That is the
problem. I guess under linux this command should open vim to edit the
test.tex only instead.

Andy

@ 2009-04-10 19:49   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-10 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Andy Wong wrote:

> I think I may not write it clear in my previous email. I run the command as
>
> mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"set tabstop=8\" \"test.tex\""

If you quote the filename, then it should be

mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"set tabstop=8\" \"test.tex\" "

Notice the space before the last quote. This will open two files test.tex
and "", but that it is ok. The last file is ignored by t-vim.

> which got the mtxrun output has spurious " before test.tex. if omit the \"
> around the test.tex, like this,
>
> mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"set tabstop=8\" test.tex"
>
> there are no spurious " in mtxrun output.

So it is not mtxrun's fault.

> However, both will make vim open a
> new file named "tabset=8"

You mean tabstop=8?

> and the test.tex to be edited. That is the
> problem. I guess under linux this command should open vim to edit the
> test.tex only instead.

If vim is passed the correct command, I do not see why it should not
execute it in the same way in windows. Try one more thing. Run

mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"set tabstop=8\" \"test.tex\" "

mtxrun should report that it is executing

vim -u NONE -c "set tabstop=8" "test.tex"

Execute the above command manually on the terminal. Do you get the same result in both cases?

Aditya

@ 2009-04-10 20:20     ` Andy Wong
From: Andy Wong @ 2009-04-10 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, if leave a space between the last two quotes, mtx output seems ok.

MTXrun |
MTXrun | executing: vim -u NONE -c "set tabstop=8" "test.tex"
MTXrun |
But it still cause vim open two file named "tabstop=8" and "test.tex" to
edit. So it seems vim treat tabstop=8 as a file? that still a quotes
problem, right? I also test if there no space in quoted arguments, such as

mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"help\" \"test.tex\" "

This time vim will open the "test.tex" and  help window as expected. If any
command with space in -c parameter, vim can not correct executed.

manually execute the vim command:

vim -u NONE -c "set tabstop=8" "test.tex"

vim open the "test.tex" only to edit as expected.
Andy

@ 2009-04-10 20:32       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Andy Wong wrote:

> Yes, if leave a space between the last two quotes, mtx output seems ok.
>
> MTXrun |
> MTXrun | executing: vim -u NONE -c "set tabstop=8" "test.tex"
> MTXrun |
> But it still cause vim open two file named "tabstop=8" and "test.tex" to
> edit. So it seems vim treat tabstop=8 as a file? that still a quotes
> problem, right? I also test if there no space in quoted arguments, such as

I am beginning to suspect that it is a shell problem rather than a mtxrun
problem. Mtxrun passes the correct commands and quotes to the shell, but
the shell for some reason ignores that.

@ 2009-04-10 20:37         ` Andy Wong
From: Andy Wong @ 2009-04-10 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)