* Two issues with respect to sections in ConTeXt
@ 2020-06-05  3:28 Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-06-05  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

First:

I made the following question wrt swapping section labels and section
numbers:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/547761/how-to-swap-section-labels-and-section-numbers-in-context

What I tried to do is the following section structure

1. Chapter (Name of chapter)
  1. 2 Section (Name of section)

Wolfgang Schuster offered the following solution for chapters in Spanish,
thanks :)

\setuplabeltext[es][chapter={, capítulo}]

However, I asked if there is a way to use predefined section labels
according to chapters, sections, parts, etc. e.g. Chapter (EN) or Capítulo
(ES) without manually writing a \setuplabeltext for every language, so he
suggested that I move my question here and there we are.

Second:

The TeX command \S (section mark) seems to be insensitive to font size
commands. I've tried with

\setuphead[section][sectionstarter=\S]

And the sign is smaller than the surrounding letters. I thought it was a
matter of font design, but I've tried

\setuphead[section][sectionstarter=§]

And it worked. My question is: why? Is it a bug or a feature with respect
to \S? I'm using ConTeXt MKIV version 2020.05.25 23:39 with LuaTeX

Thank you in advance

Jairo :D

* Re: Two issues with respect to sections in ConTeXt
@ 2020-06-05 15:22 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-06-05 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jairo A. del Rio schrieb am 05.06.2020 um 05:28:
> First:
>
> [...]
>
> Second:
>
> The TeX command \S (section mark) seems to be insensitive to font size
> commands. I've tried with
>
> \setuphead[section][sectionstarter=\S]
>
> And the sign is smaller than the surrounding letters. I thought it was a
> matter of font design, but I've tried
>
> \setuphead[section][sectionstarter=§]
>
> And it worked. My question is: why? Is it a bug or a feature with
> respect to \S? I'm using ConTeXt MKIV version 2020.05.25 23:39 with LuaTeX

I think a side effect of backwards compatibility to plain TeX which
provides \S. The reason for the odd output is that \S is defined as math
symbol and size switches for them work only when you use them in math
mode (you can try \m{\S}).

To get a symbol in the correct size you have to use the \sectionmark
command or use §, there is no difference between both ways.

\starttext

\S \sectionmark §

\ss \S \sectionmark §

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Two issues with respect to sections in ConTeXt
@ 2020-06-06 16:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-06-06 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jairo A. del Rio schrieb am 05.06.2020 um 05:28:
> First:
>
> I made the following question wrt swapping section labels and section
> numbers:
>
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/547761/how-to-swap-section-labels-and-section-numbers-in-context
>
> What I tried to do is the following section structure
>
> 1. Chapter (Name of chapter)
>    1. 2 Section (Name of section)
>
> Wolfgang Schuster offered the following solution for chapters in
> Spanish, thanks :)
>
> \setuplabeltext[es][chapter={, capítulo}]
>
> However, I asked if there is a way to use predefined section labels
> according to chapters, sections, parts, etc. e.g. Chapter (EN) or
> Capítulo (ES) without manually writing a \setuplabeltext for every
> language, so he suggested that I move my question here and there we are.

Making the labels accessible is the simple part but not as part of the
labeltext class. The harder part is to move the text to the right side
of the number because by default most labels appear only on the left
side. Below are a few examples of the current state of labeltexts.

1. Position

When you set a label the text for a label you have to specify on which
side of the content it should appear. In the following example I set a
label which has text for the left and right side, both texts are
separated by a comma. To get the text for a cetain side you use either
the \left... or \right... command or but you can also use the \...texts
command which adds both to the content in the second argument.

What isn't possible is to set a single text and apply it to the right
side of the text.

\starttext

\setuplabeltext[example={Left , Right}]

\labeltext{example}1

\leftlabeltext{example}2\rightlabeltext{example}

\labeltexts{example}{3}

\stoptext

2. Languages

Labels are only applied to the main language of a document which is set
with the \mainlanguage command. Local changes of a language (which is
used to apply local hyphenation patterns) don't change the label.

\starttext

\setuplabeltext [en] [language=English]
\setuplabeltext [nl] [language=Dutch]

\labeltext{language}

\language[nl] \labeltext{language}

\mainlanguage[nl] \labeltext{language}

\stoptext

To use language dependent texts you can use the \translate command but
you to set the texts in the argument of the command.

\starttext

\translate [en=English,nl=Dutch]

\language[nl] \translate [en=English,nl=Dutch]

\stoptext

3. Sections

Thee reason why you can't provide existing label texts for all sections
labels is that a few of the main levels (part, chapter, section) have
default values for the bodypartlabel key. When ConTeXt typesets the
content of the section it applies the label which is set with this key
to the section number, this means each chapter will now have "Chapter "
as prefix for the number which changes all documents.

% \setuphead
%   [section]
%   [bodypartlabel=] % default: bodypartlabel=section

\starttext

\section{A section without label}

\setuplabeltext [en] [section={Section }]

\section{A section with label}

\stoptext

Wolfgang