* strange dependency between cbox and whitespace?
@ 2004-02-19 16:57 Stefan Wachter
From: Stefan Wachter @ 2004-02-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

I came across the following behaviour: cboxes seem to suppress white
space in certain conditions.

In the following example there is no whitespace output between paragraph
no. 2 und 3. Yet, if I change \setupwhitespace to 'none' or if I do not
enclose the paragraphs in cboxes then the whitespaces between the
paragraphs appear as expected.

Does anyone know a workaround for this 'strange' behaviour of cboxes?

Thanks for your attention,
--Stefan

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setupinteraction[openaction={firstpage,FitHeight},state=start]
\setupwhitespace[small]
\setupblank[100pt]
\def\Para#1{\cbox{#1 \dorecurse{10}{this is some paragraph text}}\par}
\starttext
\Para{1}
\blank[big]
\Para{2}
\blank[medium]
\Para{3}
\blank[small]
\Para{4}
\stoptext

* Re: strange dependency between cbox and whitespace?
@ 2004-02-19 17:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-02-19 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 17:57 19/02/2004, you wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>I came across the following behaviour: cboxes seem to suppress white space
>in certain conditions.
>
>In the following example there is no whitespace output between paragraph
>no. 2 und 3. Yet, if I change \setupwhitespace to 'none' or if I do not
>enclose the paragraphs in cboxes then the whitespaces between the
>paragraphs appear as expected.
>
>Does anyone know a workaround for this 'strange' behaviour of cboxes?
>
>Thanks for your attention,
>--Stefan
>

>\setupoutput[pdftex]
>\setupinteraction[openaction={firstpage,FitHeight},state=start]
>\setupwhitespace[small]
>\setupblank[100pt]
>\def\Para#1{\cbox{#1 \dorecurse{10}{this is some paragraph text}}\par}
>\starttext
>\Para{1}
>\blank[big]
>\Para{2}
>\blank[medium]
>\Para{3}
>\blank[small]
>\Para{4}
>\stoptext

has to do with the way tex handles vbox/vtop's (tex does not have dual
baseline boxes)

\def\Para#1{\cbox{#1 \dorecurse{10}{\begstrut this is some paragraph text
\endstrut}}\par}

or something:

\long \def\Para#1#2\EndPar{\startalign[middle]#1 #2\stopalign}

* Re: strange dependency between cbox and    whitespace?
@ 2004-02-20  9:10   ` Stefan Wachter
From: Stefan Wachter @ 2004-02-20  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 17:57 19/02/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I came across the following behaviour: cboxes seem to suppress white
>> space in certain conditions.
>>
>> In the following example there is no whitespace output between
>> paragraph no. 2 und 3. Yet, if I change \setupwhitespace to 'none' or
>> if I do not enclose the paragraphs in cboxes then the whitespaces
>> between the paragraphs appear as expected.
>>
>> Does anyone know a workaround for this 'strange' behaviour of cboxes?
>>
>> Thanks for your attention,
>> --Stefan
>>

>> \setupoutput[pdftex]
>> \setupinteraction[openaction={firstpage,FitHeight},state=start]
>> \setupwhitespace[small]
>> \setupblank[100pt]
>> \def\Para#1{\cbox{#1 \dorecurse{10}{this is some paragraph text}}\par}
>> \starttext
>> \Para{1}
>> \blank[big]
>> \Para{2}
>> \blank[medium]
>> \Para{3}
>> \blank[small]
>> \Para{4}
>> \stoptext
>

> has to do with the way tex handles vbox/vtop's (tex does not have dual
> baseline boxes)
>
> \def\Para#1{\cbox{#1 \dorecurse{10}{\begstrut this is some paragraph
> text \endstrut}}\par}
>
> or something:
>
> \long \def\Para#1#2\EndPar{\startalign[middle]#1 #2\stopalign}

Thanks for the reply. I am using the \startalign option now.