On Fri, 2020-04-10 at 16:29 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote: > On 4/10/2020 3:09 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote: > > > > > > > On 10. Apr 2020, at 14:49, Christoph Hintermüller < > > > christoph@out-world.com> wrote: > > > > > Indeed. the exporter is just a reconstructor of content so the > better > structured, the better the export, and the trickier the rendering > the > worse. Also, one can if needed add tags, add attributes etc etc but > don't expect me to keep track of all modules and user stuff and add > export specififcs. Of course I can make some aspects better but i > never > needed epub so far. There is no need to keep track, otherwise the modules and user stuff would be senseless. It is up to them to keep track of their specialities. > > Then, given an export, one can use xslt or whatever, of have one's > own > css as there is no common ground for rendering idiologies. Ever > yuser > wants something different. > he best multi-output stuff comes from good neutral input > and > for instance xml is more suitable for that than tex encoded input. > I'm > currently doing just that: making some css for rather extensive kind > of > free xml based content (mostly because i have nothing better todo > right > now). If the xml is the document source, what for would I need ConTeXt at all? Why not use typesetting system using xml as native format? > > In the end it all boils down to 'does it pay off' in terms of > 'useability', 'neccessity' and 'the fun of it'. We're talking of > free > software so no one can demand something, only request. > I apologize if if missed the proper tone. It was just my frustration, that any attempt to convince the exporter that it should display spaces as are in the inputfile and not remove them. The pdf backend properly keeps it like in typing environment. And the second which increased my frustration more and what i could also not solve by css is that when linenumbers are added later they appear on separate lines and not on the same line as in the pdf output. That is also true for typing environment (see attached) example. Sorry again. > Suggestion for Christoph: look at what Thomas has done for a long > time > now: one input (often quite advanced) and multiple output for > publishing > ane educational purposes. And it looks pretty good too. > Thank you very much i will do. You are refering to Thomas Schmitz?