* Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-07-31 13:27 Jeroen via ntg-context
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeroen via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an easy way to write a Context document and also code simpleslides
in the same document so that the simpleslides are automatically added to
the document as for example an appendix? Ie one tex document with Context
code, perhaps with some \input and something like a two-pass job. I was
thinking if the simpleslides could be saved as a number of png images and
then with the recurse add them to the document with placefigure.

Jeroen

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-07-31 14:00 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 31.07.2021 um 15:27 schrieb Jeroen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>:
>
> Is there an easy way to write a Context document and also code simpleslides in the same document so that the simpleslides are automatically added to the document as for example an appendix? Ie one tex document with Context code, perhaps with some \input and something like a two-pass job. I was thinking if the simpleslides could be saved as a number of png images and then with the recurse add them to the document with placefigure.

Why via PNG? And why recurse? You can include PDFs.

Try \copypages or \filterpages.

Hraban

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-07-31 14:06 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeroen via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 7/31/21 3:27 PM, Jeroen via ntg-context wrote:
> Is there an easy way to write a Context document and also code
> simpleslides in the same document so that the simpleslides are
> automatically added to the document as for example an appendix? Ie
> one tex document with Context code, perhaps with some \input and
> something like a two-pass job.
Hi Jeroen,

not sure this might help you (I’m not sure you intend a single source
file, in addition to a single PDF document), but here you have:

  \startbuffer[slides]
  \setuppapersize[CD]
  \setupbodyfont[60pt]
  \starttext
  \dorecurse{25}
  {\startmakeup[standard][pagestate=start, style={\ss\bf}, align=center]
  Slide \pagenumber
  \stopmakeup}
  \stoptext
  \stopbuffer

  \savebuffer[list=slides, file=\jobname_slides.tex, prefix=no]

  \starttext
  \startbodymatter
  \dorecurse{25}{\input zapf\par}
  \typesetfile[\jobname_slides.tex][--purgeall][object=no, width=0pt]
  \stopbodymatter
  \startappendices
  \getfiguredimensions[\jobname_slides.pdf]
  \dorecurse{\noffigurepages}
      {\startTEXpage
        \externalfigure[\jobname_slides.pdf][page=\recurselevel]
       \stopTEXpage}
  \stopappendices
  \stoptext

BTW, I cannot get simpleslides working with LMTX.

> I was thinking if the simpleslides could be saved as a number of png
> images and then with the recurse add them to the document with
> placefigure.
\externalfigure is your friend here and there is no need to convert the
slides to PNG (see above).

Just in case it may help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-07-31 14:19 ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
From: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/31/21 3:27 PM, Jeroen via ntg-context wrote:
> Is there an easy way to write a Context document and also code simpleslides
> in the same document so that the simpleslides are automatically added to
> the document as for example an appendix? Ie one tex document with Context
> code, perhaps with some \input and something like a two-pass job. I was
> thinking if the simpleslides could be saved as a number of png images and
> then with the recurse add them to the document with placefigure.

"Easy" is an ambiguous term... I can tell you how I do this (I use xml,
but with a bit of code, this can be adapted to TeX documents): I have
the code for the slides and my own comments in the same documents; I
pass a --mode to the compilation to filter and select content. When I
have my presentation as a file "presentation.pdf," I save it and then
have the slides included automatically via a counter, like this:

function xml.functions.combined_slide(t)
	i = i + 1
	local textwidth = tex.dimen.textwidth
	context.page()
	context.framed( { width=number.todimen(textwidth), frame="off",
align="middle", height="10cm" },
		function() context.externalfigure( { "presentation.pdf" }, { page=i,
width="13cm" } ) end )
	context.blank { "line" }
end

So, as others have said: no need to convert to png. Setting up a
workflow takes some time and thought, but once it's in place, it works
very well; I have now used my xml-based workflow for 12 years or so, for
all my university lectures and talks.

Thomas

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-07-31 14:22   ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
From: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/31/21 4:06 PM, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> BTW, I cannot get simpleslides working with LMTX.

I had to make some slight adjustments but have been to lazy to upload a
new and improved version. One reason being that I can't remember my
username and password for the modules section of the garden... I'll have
to ask Taco to reset it for me.

Thomas

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-07-31 20:23     ` Jeroen via ntg-context
From: Jeroen via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I worked around it, instead of simpleslides just use larger fonts to with
regular pages

\startbuffer[slides]
\setuptolerance[
  horizontal,
  tolerant,
  stretch]

\setuppapersize[
  A4,landscape]

\setuplayout[
  width=middle,
  backspace=35mm,
  cutspace=35mm,
  height=middle,
  topspace=5mm,
  bottomspace=20mm]

\setuppagenumbering[
  location={footer,center}]

\setuphead
  [section]
  [page={yes}]

\usetypescript[pagella]
\setupbodyfont[pagella,18pt]
\setupbodyfontenvironment[
  28pt][  % For body
  d=36pt, % For title
  a=12pt, % For author & date
  ]
\setuptype[style=medium]
\setuptyping[typing][bodyfont=16pt]

\setupwhitespace[medium]

\setbreakpoints[compound]

\setuphead[chapter][style=\bfd]
\setuphead[section][style=\bfc]
\setuphead[subsection][style=\bfb]
\setuphead[subsubsection][style=\bf]

\setupitemize[autointro] % prevent orphan list intro
\setupitemize[indentnext=no]

\starttext

\startsection[title={MySlideTitle},ref={myref1}]

Body text

\startitemize
\item Item 1
\item Item 2
\stopitemize

\stopsection

\startsection[title={MySlideTitle},ref={myref2}]

Body text

\stopsection

\stoptext\starttext
text

\stoptext
\stopbuffer

  \savebuffer[list=slides, file=\jobname_slides.tex, prefix=no]

  \starttext
  \startbodymatter
  \dorecurse{25}{\input zapf\par}
  \typesetfile[\jobname_slides.tex][--purgeall][object=no, width=0pt]
  \stopbodymatter
  \startappendices
  \getfiguredimensions[\jobname_slides.pdf]
  \dorecurse{\noffigurepages}
      {\startTEXpage
        \externalfigure[\jobname_slides.pdf][page=\recurselevel]
       \stopTEXpage}
  \stopappendices
  \stoptext

@ 2021-08-01 11:56       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-08-01 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/31/2021 10:23 PM, Jeroen via ntg-context wrote:
> I worked around it, instead of simpleslides just use larger fonts to
> with regular pages
Tne next version will have this (easy cheap extension):

\definesavebuffer[slide]

\startslide
   % styling
\stopslide

\starttext
     \startslide
         \starttext
     \stopslide
     \startslide
         slide 1
     \stopslide
     text 1 \par
     \startslide
         slide 2
     \stopslide
     text 2 \par
     \startslide
         slide 3
     \stopslide
     text 3 \par
     \startslide
         \stoptext
     \stopslide
\stoptext

after that you have a file <jobname>-slide.tex that has the slides that
you can process (or include in a wrapper):

% styling
\starttext
slide 1
slide 2
slide 3
\stoptext

Hans

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-08-01 13:02         ` Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context
From: Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context @ 2021-08-01 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen via ntg-context schrieb am 01.08.2021 um 13:56:
> On 7/31/2021 10:23 PM, Jeroen via ntg-context wrote:
>> I worked around it, instead of simpleslides just use larger fonts to
>> with regular pages
> Tne next version will have this (easy cheap extension):
>
> [...]
>
> after that you have a file <jobname>-slide.tex that has the slides
> that you can process (or include in a wrapper):

Is there a way to set a folder for \typesetfile where I can put files
similar to

     \setupexternalfigure[directory=...]

or

     \usepath[...]

At the moment I can use \typesetfile only when the processed file is in
the same folder as the main tex file. It would be nicer to have a sub
folder (e.g. examples) where I can put the files and \typesetfile
creates the pdf in this folder to prevent clutter in the main folder.

Wolfgang

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-08-01 13:44           ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-08-01 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans Hagen via ntg-context schrieb am 01.08.2021 um 13:56:
>> On 7/31/2021 10:23 PM, Jeroen via ntg-context wrote:
>>> I worked around it, instead of simpleslides just use larger fonts to
>>> with regular pages
>> Tne next version will have this (easy cheap extension):
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> after that you have a file <jobname>-slide.tex that has the slides
>> that you can process (or include in a wrapper):
>
> Is there a way to set a folder for \typesetfile where I can put files
> similar to
>
>      \setupexternalfigure[directory=...]
>
> or
>
>      \usepath[...]
>

> At the moment I can use \typesetfile only when the processed file is in
> the same folder as the main tex file. It would be nicer to have a sub
> folder (e.g. examples) where I can put the files and \typesetfile
> creates the pdf in this folder to prevent clutter in the main folder.
i;ll add support for 'directory'

\definesavebuffer[slide]

\setupsavebuffer[slide][directory=tempdir]

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-08-01 16:03       ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-08-01 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 7/31/21 10:23 PM, Jeroen via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
>   \savebuffer[list=slides, file=\jobname_slides.tex, prefix=no]

Sorry, Jeroen, this was my fault.

A simpler approach to the command above reads:

  \savebuffer[list=slides, file=slides.tex]

But then you have to invoke the file as

  \typesetfile[\jobname-slides.tex][--purgeall][object=no, width=0pt]

and the output file would read:

  \getfiguredimensions[\jobname-slides.pdf]
  \dorecurse{\noffigurepages}
      {\startTEXpage
        \externalfigure[\jobname-slides.pdf][page=\recurselevel]
       \stopTEXpage}

I mean, you get hyphen instead of underscore.

I hope it may help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Code document and simpleslides and create in one go the document with simpleslides added
@ 2021-08-06 17:02         ` Jeroen via ntg-context
From: Jeroen via ntg-context @ 2021-08-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)