* Undefined symbol lua_gettop
@ 2019-04-06 18:02 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2019-04-06 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am experimenting with using lua libraries with lmtx. I tried the
following:

1. Download the lcomplex library (from
http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/ar/lcomplex-100.tar.gz)

2. Untar and modify the Makefile so that LUA_TOPDIR points to the right
location (/usr in my case).

3. Run make. This creates a complex.so file in the current directory.

4. Create a test file (and put complex.so in the same directory)

\starttext
\startluacode
   local complex=require("complex")

   z = complex.new(1,1);
   context("The absolute value of $z=%f + j%f$ is $%f$",
            z:real(), z:imag(), z:abs());
\stopluacode
\stoptext

This file runs correctly with mkiv, but when I try to run it with lmtx, I
get the error

lua error       > lua error on line 8 in file
/home/adityam/Software/lcomplex/lcomplex-100/test.tex:

...etatex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/l-package.lua:325: error
         ./complex.so: undefined symbol: lua_gettop

Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Aditya

* Re: Undefined symbol lua_gettop
@ 2019-04-07  1:45 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2019-04-07  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/7/19 6:02 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experimenting with using lua libraries with lmtx. I tried the
> following:
>
> 1. Download the lcomplex library (from
> http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/ar/lcomplex-100.tar.gz)
>
> 2. Untar and modify the Makefile so that LUA_TOPDIR points to the right
> location (/usr in my case).
>
> 3. Run make. This creates a complex.so file in the current directory.
>
> 4. Create a test file (and put complex.so in the same directory)
>
> \starttext
> \startluacode
>   local complex=require("complex")
>
>   z = complex.new(1,1);
>   context("The absolute value of $z=%f + j%f$ is $%f$",
>            z:real(), z:imag(), z:abs());
> \stopluacode
> \stoptext
>
> This file runs correctly with mkiv, but when I try to run it with lmtx,
> I get the error
>
> lua error       > lua error on line 8 in file
> /home/adityam/Software/lcomplex/lcomplex-100/test.tex:
>
> ...etatex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/l-package.lua:325: error
>         ./complex.so: undefined symbol: lua_gettop
>
> Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Lua is linked statically into LuaTeX and when the executable is stripped
and lua_gettop has not been referenced anywhere, it will be removed.