* lmtx-20210118 | Corruption with rotated floats
@ 2021-01-23  7:59 Richard Mahoney
From: Richard Mahoney @ 2021-01-23  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

List members,

I've found that recent versions of LMTX seem to have broken table and
figure floats using rotation. Lmtx-20210118 with for example:

\placetable[here,90]

results in the trashing of all subsequent body text in the PDF.

This can be corrected with something such as:

\placetable[here] ...

\framed[orientation=90]

(although one looses the ability to rotate the title of the table).

The last really stable version of LMTX, which I'm finding that I'm
constantly returning to as my default, is lmtx-20200920.

This error has been occurring for some time now, and unfortunately,
while I would like to keep up the recent releases of LMTX, it is
essential that I should be able to rotate tables and images. Does
anyone know of a fix.

Best, Richard

--
T +6433121699  M +64210640216  E rmahoney@indica-et-buddhica.org
IM https://t.me/rmahoney  W https://indica-et-buddhica.org/

Indica et Buddhica  Littledene  Bay Road  Oxford  NZ

* Re: lmtx-20210118 | Corruption with rotated floats
@ 2021-01-23 11:10 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-01-23 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/23/21 8:59 AM, Richard Mahoney wrote:
> [...]
> \placetable[here,90]
>
> results in the trashing of all subsequent body text in the PDF.
> [...]
> This error has been occurring for some time now, and unfortunately,
> while I would like to keep up the recent releases of LMTX, it is
> essential that I should be able to rotate tables and images. Does
> anyone know of a fix?

Richard,

a minimal sample with images would read:

  \setupexternalfigures[location=default]
  \starttext
  \placefigure[90, here]{Rotated sample}{\externalfigure[hacker.jpg]}
  \input zapf
  \stoptext

I don’t know why, but both MkIV and current latest (LMTX from
2021.01.22 09:41) place the rotated figure on a different page (with 90
and 270).

LMTX misplaces next paragraph on next page with both 90 and 270.

To show the issues with tables, a minimal sample would help. I’m afraid
I don’t have any experience rotating tables.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: lmtx-20210118 | Corruption with rotated floats
@ 2021-01-23 21:43   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-23 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/23/2021 12:10 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 1/23/21 8:59 AM, Richard Mahoney wrote:
>> [...]
>> \placetable[here,90]
>>
>> results in the trashing of all subsequent body text in the PDF.
>> [...]
>> This error has been occurring for some time now, and unfortunately,
>> while I would like to keep up the recent releases of LMTX, it is
>> essential that I should be able to rotate tables and images. Does
>> anyone know of a fix?
>
> Richard,
>
> a minimal sample with images would read:
>
>    \setupexternalfigures[location=default]
>    \starttext
>    \placefigure[90, here]{Rotated sample}{\externalfigure[hacker.jpg]}
>    \input zapf
>    \stoptext
>
> I don’t know why, but both MkIV and current latest (LMTX from
> 2021.01.22 09:41) place the rotated figure on a different page (with 90
> and 270).
>
> LMTX misplaces next paragraph on next page with both 90 and 270.
>
> To show the issues with tables, a minimal sample would help. I’m afraid
> I don’t have any experience rotating tables.
The code is not different from mkiv but instead we swap dimens using a
primitive. When you set \overloadmode=4 (which can be interesting as it
might reveal issues in a style) the run will quit with an error ... this
is a fix:

\def\strc_floats_set_page_variant
   {\bgroup
    \strc_floats_set_local_hsize
    \ifcase\c_strc_floats_rotation\else
      % Swapping fails in overloadmode and is also wrong (as it then is
persistent due
      % to global being inherited).
     %\swapdimens\hsize\vsize
      \scratchdimen\hsize
      \hsize\vsize
      \vsize\scratchdimen
    \fi

(it also indicates that we're cheating with the sizes which when it
happens global is pretty dangerous ... it works but i admit that it is
not nice)

Hans

* Re: lmtx-20210118 | Corruption with rotated floats
@ 2021-01-23 23:00     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-01-23 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/23/21 10:43 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> LMTX misplaces next paragraph on next page with both 90 and 270.
>> [...]
> The code is not different from mkiv but instead we swap dimens using a
> primitive. When you set \overloadmode=4 (which can be interesting as it
> might reveal issues in a style) the run will quit with an error ... this
> is a fix:
>
> \def\strc_floats_set_page_variant
>    {\bgroup
>     \strc_floats_set_local_hsize
>     \ifcase\c_strc_floats_rotation\else
>       \scratchdimen\hsize
>       \hsize\vsize
>       \vsize\scratchdimen
>     \fi
>
> (it also indicates that we're cheating with the sizes which when it
> happens global is pretty dangerous ... it works but i admit that it is
> not nice)

Many thanks for the fast fix, Hans.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* [Solved] Fwd: lmtx-20210118 | Corruption with rotated floats
@ 2021-02-01 19:18 ` Richard Mahoney
From: Richard Mahoney @ 2021-02-01 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just updated the system to LMTX-20210201 and have found that this
has been resolved -- \placetable[here,90] is back again! Thank you
very
much for this.

Best, Richard