From: Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: issue with optical bounds (OpenType)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 20:54:31 +0100	[thread overview]

On 12/9/18 6:53 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> -Is there any way that I can apply pure raw lfbd/rtbd values to
>> protrusion with no other protrusion calculation at all in opbd?
>
> you can create your own vectors if you want

My own vectors wouldn’t solve the issue, because the variable would be:

   lfbd(Ὧ) = glyph.width(Ω) - glyph.width(Ὧ)

I need to place glyphs accurately, not characters. Character dimensions
wouldn’t help to get hanging diacritics.

>> -In order to avoid editing all the Greek fonts to get hanging
>> diacritics: is there any way to replicate the lfbd feature with
>> "fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature"?
>
> probably with some lua magic one can do a lot but these are typical
> things i do when i need them (also because one needs to check the whole
> of unicode and cook up categories, this kind of stuff is: do it all
> robust and well or don't do it; also one doesn't know how consistent
> font designs are)

The variable is so simple that the glyph with diacritical marks should
be placed in the beginning of the line as it had no such marks.

If the font has all glyphs for uppercase letters with the same width for
the letter strokes, a general approach (such as the menttioned above, I
guess it) would work.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--