* Setting up the double pages of part beginnings
@ 2021-09-10 17:25 Christian Dekant via ntg-context
From: Christian Dekant via ntg-context @ 2021-09-10 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Christian Dekant

Dear List,

I am trying to set up double pages at the beginning of a new part in such a
way that:
- on an odd/right-hand page there will be number and the title typeset in
some fashion, and
- on the even/left-hand page there should be a full (printpaper)size image.

If the part title ends up on an even page then there is no additional page
break (but then image and title are not on the same double-page obviously).
But there is a page break (and an empty left page) when the part title ends
up on an odd page (when you put page=right e.g.) as in the following
example:

%
% How to get rid of the empty page preceding a part title?
%

\setuppagenumbering [alternative=doublesided]

\setupexternalfigures[location=default] % cow

% startTEXpage does not increase page number => incrementpagenumber

% trimming in the print shop => printpaperwidth/height

\define[1]\FullScreen{\startTEXpage\externalfigure[#1][width=\printpaperwidth,height=\printpaperheight]\stopTEXpage\incrementpagenumber}

% tried page=yes/no/right/odd

\setuphead

[part]

[placehead=yes,

page=right,

before={\nowhitespace}, % ???

]

\starttext

\completecontent

\FullScreen{cow}

\startpart[title={A nice part}]

Some text ...

\stoppart

\FullScreen{cow}

\startpart[title={A nice part}]

Some text ...

\stoppart

\stoptext

On an additional note: I would love to utilise the XML capabilities of
context, so ... is the usage of \startTEpage XML-export-friendly?

Anyway, best regards, thank you for your patience in advance and a happy
weekend for everybody!

Cheers
Christian

* Re: Setting up the double pages of part beginnings
@ 2021-09-11  6:31 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-09-11  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Dekant via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 9/10/21 7:25 PM, Christian Dekant via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> % startTEXpage does not increase page number => incrementpagenumber

Sorry, Christian, I’m afraid I don’t understand what you want to achieve

\startTEXpage[pagestate=start] uses page numbers as any other page.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Setting up the double pages of part beginnings
@ 2021-09-11 11:25 ` Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context
From: Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context @ 2021-09-11 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wolfgang Schuster

Christian Dekant via ntg-context schrieb am 10.09.2021 um 19:25:
> Dear List,
>
> I am trying to set up double pages at the beginning of a new part in
> such a way that:
> - on an odd/right-hand page there will be number and the title typeset
> in some fashion, and
> - on the even/left-hand page there should be a full (printpaper)size
> image.

https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg94581.html

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting up the double pages of part beginnings
@ 2021-09-12 18:58   ` Christian Dekant via ntg-context
From: Christian Dekant via ntg-context @ 2021-09-12 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, this works nicely. I put up a (minimal) working example of
the adapted code (it inserts an empty page, if the peceding chapter ends
on an even page) on the wiki, see

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/User_talk:Christian.Dekant

Is this interesting for other users as well? (Maybe on
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles?) If not ... I guess it will do no
harm on my discussion page.

All the best
Christian

@ 2021-09-13 20:18     ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2021-09-13 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the absence of any other replies I think...

(a) your example is a good one. The only improvement would be to turn it into a 2 across, 3 or 4 down set of mini pages imposed onto a larger one so that it can be rendered on the Wiki page without taking too much space. (I don't know how to do that - my experiments didn't go well!)

(b) the Titles page seems to be the right place for it, but that page is already quite long. Maybe your example could be put into its own page with a link from the Titles page examples section?

> On 12 Sep 2021, at 19:58, Christian Dekant via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Thank you, this works nicely. I put up a (minimal) working example of the adapted code (it inserts an empty page, if the peceding chapter ends on an even page) on the wiki, see
>
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/User_talk:Christian.Dekant
>
> Is this interesting for other users as well? (Maybe on https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles?) If not ... I guess it will do no harm on my discussion page.
>
> All the best
> Christian
>
> Am 11.09.21 um 13:25 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> Christian Dekant via ntg-context schrieb am 10.09.2021 um 19:25:
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> I am trying to set up double pages at the beginning of a new part in such a way that:
>>> - on an odd/right-hand page there will be number and the title typeset in some fashion, and
>>> - on the even/left-hand page there should be a full (printpaper)size image.
>>
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg94581.html
>>
>> Wolfgang

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: Setting up the double pages of part beginnings
@ 2021-09-13 21:36       ` Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context
From: Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context @ 2021-09-13 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wolfgang Schuster

Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context schrieb am 13.09.2021 um 22:18:
> In the absence of any other replies I think...
>
> (a) your example is a good one. The only improvement would be to turn it into a 2 across, 3 or 4 down set of mini pages imposed onto a larger one so that it can be rendered on the Wiki page without taking too much space. (I don't know how to do that - my experiments didn't go well!)
>
> (b) the Titles page seems to be the right place for it, but that page is already quite long. Maybe your example could be put into its own page with a link from the Titles page examples section?

In the past the titles page was spread over many smaller pages with
AFAIR a separate page for each layout.

Going to back to this doesn't seem to be the best idea but creating a
new page for all examples can be useful.

Wolfgang