From: Denis Maier via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: denis.maier@unibe.ch
Subject: Re: improve bad habits deduplicate redundant defined values
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:57:36 +0000	[thread overview]

Thanks for your detaillled description of you setup.

> I started more than two years ago, with some documents for my cooperative. I
> blogged about it: https://www.hasecke.eu/post/werbemittel-mit-context-
> gestalten/

Yeah, I know that post and, by the way, I've used your approach yesterday for converting an Indesign-Template to ConTeXt.
Thanks!

> Step by step I modularized my setup to reuse as many definitions as possible in
> other documents. I started with our corporate colors and fonts and then
> added page sizes, headlines etc.
>
> This is an ongoing process as I have no overall plan to structure my setup. It is
> work in progress. And the tendency is to split up environment files into smaller
> ones.

Looks like I need to refactor some things :-)

> When I see that I need another numbering system for legal texts like bylaws I
> create an environment for legal numbering and for normal numbering.

Ok. So in general you deal with diverging demands by creating new environments that you can load selectively?
I currently struggle with a similar question: In one project I typeset articles for a journal from XML sources with ConTeXt. Obviously, these articles should rely on the same environment files. But how would you deal with those cases where you'd need a slightly different table layout in one article?

> I think that all this will end up in 20-30 environment files going from general
> things like colors, fonts, page sizes to more specific things like doubleside-
> headers-footers, singleside-headers-footers to product specific things like env-
> factsheet for things that are special to factsheets only.
>
> Here are some of my environment files:
>
> hs.env-2-seiter-din-lang-hoch.tex
> [...]
> It took a long time until I realized that these files are best stored in texmf-
> project. I use namespaces like hs. and juh. to separate the environment files of
> my cooperative and my own files.

Interesting. I think I'll need to adopt something similar...

> Our editors are using Markdown so we are currently creating a process to go
> from Markdown via Pandoc to ConTeXT. We heavily use custom pandoc
> templates, where the used environment files are listed.
> [...]
>
> As I am not a programmer the biggest task are lua scripts which alters the
> output of Pandoc when we need something special.
>
> Eg. we managed to insert \startstopparagraph[foo] command into the ConTeXt
> source by this simple markdown code:

Why do you use \startstopparagraph[foo] instead of \startstopfoo for theses cases?

> normal paragraph
>
> :::foo
> special foo paragraph
> yet special paragraph
> :::
>
> normal paragraph
>
> Often I simply insert raw context code into the markdown source if I want
> something special, but all this finally should go into ::: directives.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Jan Ulrich Hasecke
>
> --
> Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com Satiren & Essays: .........