* Proper ligatures in Malayalam
       [not found] <1624443888.8605.0.ref@smtp.mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2021-06-23 10:24 ` Ajith R
From: Ajith R @ 2021-06-23 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I tried to make a document in Malayalam, an Indian language. However,
the ligatures don't form as expected.

A minimal example is

\mainlanguage[ml]
\definefontfamily [malayalam] [ss] [Rachana] [features=malayalam-one]
\definefontfeature[default] [mode=node,kern=yes, liga=yes,tlig=yes,
ccmp=yes,language=dflt, protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
\setupbodyfont [malayalam]
\starttext
അദ്ധ്യായം
\stoptext

What setting am I missing?

The expected form is show in libre office with the same text and font,
attached as an image

The sequence of Malayalam characters used is

U+0D05 U+0D26 U+0D4D U+0D27 U+0D4DU+0D2F U+0D3E U+0D2F U+0D02

Thanks,
ajith

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 1077 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: photo_2021-06-23_15-53-22.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1719 bytes --]

* Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-06-24  8:25   ` Ajith R
From: Ajith R @ 2021-06-24  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to make a document in Malayalam, an Indian language. However, the ligatures don't form as expected.

A minimal example is

\mainlanguage[ml]
\definefontfamily [malayalam] [ss] [Rachana] [features=malayalam-one]
\definefontfeature[default] [mode=node,kern=yes, liga=yes,tlig=yes, ccmp=yes,language=dflt, protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
\setupbodyfont [malayalam]
\starttext
അദ്ധ്യായം
\stoptext

What setting am I missing?

The expected form is show in libre office with the same text and font, attached as an image

The sequence of Malayalam characters used is

U+0D05 U+0D26 U+0D4D U+0D27 U+0D4DU+0D2F U+0D3E U+0D2F U+0D02

Thanks,
ajith

NB: This is my second attempt to send this email. Excuse me if this results in duplication.

[-- Attachment #2: photo_2021-06-23_15-53-22.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1719 bytes --]

* Re: Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-06-24 10:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-06-24 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/24/2021 10:25 AM, Ajith R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to make a document in Malayalam, an Indian language. However, the ligatures don't form as expected.
>
> A minimal example is
>
> \mainlanguage[ml]
> \definefontfamily [malayalam] [ss] [Rachana] [features=malayalam-one]
> \definefontfeature[default] [mode=node,kern=yes, liga=yes,tlig=yes, ccmp=yes,language=dflt, protrusion=quality, expansion=quality]
> \setupbodyfont [malayalam]
> \starttext
> അദ്ധ്യായം
> \stoptext
>
> What setting am I missing?
>
> The expected form is show in libre office with the same text and font, attached as an image
>

> The sequence of Malayalam characters used is
>
> U+0D05 U+0D26 U+0D4D U+0D27 U+0D4DU+0D2F U+0D3E U+0D2F U+0D02
>
> Thanks,
> ajith
>
> NB: This is my second attempt to send this email. Excuse me if this results in duplication.
I'm consulting the indian script expert that parcipates in the code on
this so ... patience is needed,

Hans

* Re: Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-06-24 14:17     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-06-24 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/24/21 10:25 AM, Ajith R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to make a document in Malayalam, an Indian language. However, the ligatures don't form as expected.
> [..]
> What setting am I missing?

Hi Ajith,

I don’t have any idea about Malayalam (or any other Indic language [I
can deal with Latin and Greek scripts only, I’m afraid]), but this seems
to work fine.

    \mainlanguage[ml]
    \definefontfamily [malayalam] [rm] [RIT Rachana]
        [features=malayalam-two]
    \setupbodyfont [malayalam]
    \starttext
    \tf അദ്ധ്യായം\\
    \em അദ്ധ്യായം\\
    \bf അദ്ധ്യായം\\
    \em അദ്ധ്യായം
    \stoptext

Fonts are RIT Rachana from http://www.rachana.org.in/.

The relevant feature here malayalam-two. I used serif (or rm), since the
font looked to me more serif than sans-serif (Latin glyphs are clearly
from a serif font).

> The expected form is show in libre office with the same text and font, attached as an image

I would say that with malayalam-two ligatures are the same ones as in
LibreOffice.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-06-25 11:17       ` ajithramayyan
From: ajithramayyan @ 2021-06-25 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo

@ 2021-06-25 11:19       ` Ajith R
From: Ajith R @ 2021-06-25 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:06:17 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for looking into this.
I can wait,
thanks,
ajith

@ 2021-06-26  9:04         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-06-26  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/25/21 1:17 PM, ajithramayyan@yahoo.co.in wrote:
> Hi Pablo

Hi Ajith,

it isn’t clear to me whether you got the right ligatures with the sample
included in https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2021/102635.html.

I also wonder whether the feature "malayalam-two" got you the proper
ligatures for your original sample included in
https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2021/102631.html.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-07-01 18:05           ` Ajith R
From: Ajith R @ 2021-07-01 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

I am not sure if my previous mail was delivered or not.
I didn't get the correct ligatures even after copy pasting the code you
provided (incluing the feature "malayalam-two").

ajith

On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 11:04:44 +0200

@ 2021-07-01 18:07       ` Ajith R
From: Ajith R @ 2021-07-01 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I will wait for your response.

Thanks,
ajith

@ 2021-07-02  1:03             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2021-07-02  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021, Ajith R wrote:

> Hi Pablo,
>
> I am not sure if my previous mail was delivered or not.
> I didn't get the correct ligatures even after copy pasting the code you
> provided (incluing the feature "malayalam-two").

In such cases, it is always useful to include the output of `context --version` to help debug why the output is different.

Aditya

* Re: Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-07-06 17:42               ` Ajith R
From: Ajith R @ 2021-07-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I am running Debian 10 and context --version returns

mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 1.02
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context
file: /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2018.04.04 00:51

@ 2021-07-06 17:44           ` Ajith R
From: Ajith R @ 2021-07-06 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Pablo,

Just to be sure that you have the correct ligature, will you please
share a picture or pdf of the rendered text?

Thanks,
ajith

@ 2021-07-07  6:57                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2021-07-07  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021, Ajith R wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running Debian 10 and context --version returns
>
> mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 1.02
> mtx-context     |
> mtx-context     | main context
> file: /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/mkiv/context.mkiv
> mtx-context     | current version: 2018.04.04 00:51

This is more than 3 years old! You will need to update. Not sure if there is a debian package for LMTX. You can always install it in parallel to the system installation by following the instructions on the wiki.

Aditya

* Re: Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-07-07 16:20                   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-07-07 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/7/21 8:57 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2021, Ajith R wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running Debian 10 and context --version returns
>> [...]
>> mtx-context     | current version: 2018.04.04 00:51
>
> This is more than 3 years old! You will need to update. Not sure if
> there is a debian package for LMTX. You can always install it in
> parallel to the system installation by following the instructions on the
> wiki.

Hi Ajith,

as Aditya mentioned, this version is too old (maybe it even lacks the
mlm2 script).

This old version won’t be fixed now (I’m afraid).

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-07-07 16:42             ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-07-07 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/6/21 7:44 PM, Ajith R wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> Just to be sure that you have the correct ligature, will you please
> share a picture or pdf of the rendered text?

Hi Ajith,

sure, the output from the following source:

  \setupinteraction[state=start]
  \setupinteractionscreen[option=max]
  \definefontfamily [malayalam] [rm] [RIT Rachana]
      [features=malayalam-two]
  \setupbodyfont [malayalam]
  \setupattachments[method=hidden]
  \attachment[file=\jobname.tex]
  \attachment[file=http://rachana.org.in/downloads/RIT-Rachana-Regular.ttf]
  \attachment[file=http://rachana.org.in/downloads/RIT-Rachana-Italic.ttf]
  \attachment[file=http://rachana.org.in/downloads/RIT-Rachana-Bold.ttf]

\attachment[file=http://rachana.org.in/downloads/RIT-Rachana-BoldItalic.ttf]
  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1ex]
  \tf അദ്ധ്യായം\\
  \em അദ്ധ്യായം\\
  \em\bf അദ്ധ്യായം\\
  \em അദ്ധ്യായം
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

is located at https://pdf.ousia.tk/ml.pdf.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Proper ligatures in Malayalam
@ 2021-07-14 14:22                     ` Ajith R
From: Ajith R @ 2021-07-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 18:20:45 +0200
Hi Pablo and Aditya,

Thanks to your help, I installed the latest version from context garden
and the ligatures are shown properly.
I was under the impression that updating through Debian was enough.

Thanks a lot,
ajith