* Suppressing headers and footers on blank pages before pagebreak at the end of a chapter.
@ 2021-04-07 18:20 rha17
From: rha17 @ 2021-04-07 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi list,

I typeset my first project with ConTeXt, a small booklet with some chapters, frontmatter, no headers, but pagenumbers in the middle of the footers. I use two environment files. The text is split into component TeX-files. All is structured by a project and a product file.
Now I have run in some problems, I couldn’t solve with the garden and the archives of this and stackexchange’s list. But I’m sure that it is almost too simple for you experts. Let’s start with one.

As intended, a new chapter starts on a right/odd page. If the chapter before ends on a right page, too, there should be a blank left/even page. But in my case there is the pagenumber in the footer – which looks more horrible than an orphan line.

A. Which setting in which setup or definition gives a command like: suppress/skip/hide the header, footer and margin of last page of a chapter, if the text area is empty.

B. More elaborate, a set of commands could
   – distinguish between headers, footers, an margins and
   – extend the commands on those pages at the end of the chapters
      – that do not show any text within the last line of the text area, i. e. the very last page of a chapter (even, but whith some text)
      – or the second last page (odd, with some text, before a complete blank even page).

A book design according to (A) is standard. I’m sure there is a solution in ConTeXt.

(B) can be found often, at least in books from pre-computer times.

Ralf

* Re: Suppressing headers and footers on blank pages before pagebreak at the end of a chapter.
@ 2021-04-07 18:29 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2021-04-07 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

rha17@t-online.de schrieb am 07.04.2021 um 20:20:
> Hi list,
>
> I typeset my first project with ConTeXt, a small booklet with some chapters, frontmatter, no headers, but pagenumbers in the middle of the footers. I use two environment files. The text is split into component TeX-files. All is structured by a project and a product file.
> Now I have run in some problems, I couldn’t solve with the garden and the archives of this and stackexchange’s list. But I’m sure that it is almost too simple for you experts. Let’s start with one.
>
> As intended, a new chapter starts on a right/odd page. If the chapter before ends on a right page, too, there should be a blank left/even page. But in my case there is the pagenumber in the footer – which looks more horrible than an orphan line.
>
> A. Which setting in which setup or definition gives a command like: suppress/skip/hide the header, footer and margin of last page of a chapter, if the text area is empty.
>
> B. More elaborate, a set of commands could
>     – distinguish between headers, footers, an margins and
>     – extend the commands on those pages at the end of the chapters
>        – that do not show any text within the last line of the text area, i. e. the very last page of a chapter (even, but whith some text)
>        – or the second last page (odd, with some text, before a complete blank even page).
>
> A book design according to (A) is standard. I’m sure there is a solution in ConTeXt.
>
> (B) can be found often, at least in books from pre-computer times.

You have to change the argument of the page-setting for chapters.

\setuppagenumbering
   [alternative=doublesided]

\setuphead
   [chapter]