From: Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>
To: "Hamid,Idris" <Idris.Hamid@ColoState.EDU>
Subject: [NTG-context] Re: Applying \sc for smallcaps across styles
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:01:07 +0200	[thread overview]

Hamid,Idris schrieb am 19.08.2023 um 20:36:
> Many thanks. From font-pre.mkiv:
>
> \definealternativestyle [\v!smallcaps] [\setsmallcaps] [\setsmallcaps]
> :
> \unexpanded\def\setsmallcaps{\doaddfeature{f:smallcaps}}
>
> So on the wiki we should say that \sc is a deprecated/legacy command
> that no longer makes sense in an opentype-features world. New users
> should no longer use it.

It depends on the font, e.g. Latin Modern still requires \sc because it
provides a separate file for smallcaps but no smcp feature.

ConTeXt has a command which can be used to check whether the current
active font provides the smcp feature but the recommended way is to
choose a font which supports to method (\sc or \setsmallcaps) which is
used in the document.

Wolfgang