* Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-20 10:21 Roland
From: Roland @ 2008-01-20 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I am fairly new to both ConTeXt (and XeTeX) but I've already been very
impressed with the active user community and the amount of
documentation available, as well as with the sheer userfriendliness of
ConTeXt when compared to LaTeX. Now I'm trying to get into fonts, but
activating a Postscript Type 1 font seems to go beyond my abilities
and the wiki documentation on
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_XeTeX . Perhaps anybody can
help?

I have a Postscript type 1 font family called Eco, consisting of
Eco101Roman, Eco102Italic, Eco301Bold and some others. FontBook shows
these names identically as PostScript name, Full Name and Family name
(which means Fontbook is unaware that they are a family, but this is
not the topic here).

The fonts can be used with any Mac application and they also work fine
in a LaTeX-fontspec-XeTeX combination: the following minimal LaTeX
file produces the text as desired in Eco101Roman.

     1  %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
     2  %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
     3  \documentclass[12pt]{article}
     4  \usepackage{fontspec}
     5  \defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}
     6  \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Eco101Roman}
     7  \setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Skia}
     8  \setmonofont{Courier}
     9  \author{Roland}
    10  \title{XeTeX test}
    11
    12  \begin{document}
    13          \maketitle
    14          \section{This is a new section}
    15          Let's try to \emph{write} this.
    16
    17  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
    40  \end{document}

On ConTeXt however, I cannot get the font to be recognised. Please see
my testfile below, in which I tried to
(a) compile it with a self-installed TrueType font (which works)
(b) tried to select Eco101Roman directly (which produces a ** ERROR **
Invalid font) and
(c) tried to select the font through a typescript (which produces a
"Metric (TFM) file or installed font not found.")

What am I doing wrong? How can I get these fonts to work (and make
ConTeXt treat them as a proper family too?)

Looking forward to your ideas!
Roland

     1  % ======================
     2  % = Various font tests =
     3  % ======================
     4
     5  %% TRUETYPE -- works fine
     6  %\definetypeface[myfont][rm][Xserif][LegacySerifLT-Book]
     7
     8  %% TYPE1 without typescript
     9  %\definetypeface[myfont][rm][Xserif][Eco101Roman]
    10  %% Produces
    11  %%
    12  %%      [1
    13  %%
    14  %%      ** ERROR ** Invalid font: -1 (1)
    15  %%
    16  %%
    17  %%
    18  %%      Output file removed.
    19
    20  %% TYPE1 with typescript
    21  \starttypescript[serif][eco][uc]
    22  \definefontsynonym
[Eco-Roman]['Eco101Roman:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
    23  \definefontsynonym  [Eco-Italic]
['Eco102Italic:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
    24  \definefontsynonym  [Eco-Bold]
['Eco301Bold:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
    25  \stoptypescript
    26  \usetypescript[eco]
    27  \definetypeface[myfont][rm][Xserif][Eco-Roman]
    28  %% produces
    29  %%      ./hello.tex:35: Font
\*myfont12ptrmtfrm*:=Eco-Roman:mapping=tex-text at 12.0pt
    30  %%      not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or installed font not found.
    31  %%      <to be read again>
    32
    33
    34  \starttext
    35  \switchtobodyfont[myfont,18pt]
    36  \section{Testing font}
    37  This is plain text \bf{This is bold text} \it{This is bold italic text}
    38
    39  \stoptext

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-20 12:54 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-20 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:21:32 +0100
Roland <ntg-context@rolandsiebelink.com> wrote:

> [...]
> [Eco-Roman]['Eco101Roman:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
>     23  \definefontsynonym  [Eco-Italic]
> ['Eco102Italic:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
>     24  \definefontsynonym  [Eco-Bold]
> ['Eco301Bold:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
>     25  \stoptypescript
>     26  \usetypescript[eco]
>     27  \definetypeface[myfont][rm][Xserif][Eco-Roman]
>     28  %% produces
>     29  %%      ./hello.tex:35: Font
> \*myfont12ptrmtfrm*:=Eco-Roman:mapping=tex-text at 12.0pt
>     30  %%      not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or installed font not found.
>     31  %%      <to be read again>
>     32
>     33
>     34  \starttext
>     35  \switchtobodyfont[myfont,18pt]
>     36  \section{Testing font}
>     37  This is plain text \bf{This is bold text} \it{This is bold italic text}

Try the following setup, please the field for the BoldItalic font by yourself
because you forgot to tell the name for the style.

\starttypescript[serif][eco]
\definefontsynonym[Serif]          [Eco-Regular]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [Eco-Bold]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [Eco-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][Eco-BoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][eco]
\definefontsynonym[Eco-Regular]   [Eco101Roman]
\definefontsynonym[Eco-Bold]      [Eco301Bold]
\definefontsynonym[Eco-Italic]    [Eco102Italic]
\definefontsynonym[Eco-BoldItalic][...]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[eco]
\definetypeface[\typescriptone][rm][serif][eco][default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[eco]
\setupbodyfont[eco]

\starttext
normal text, {\bf bold text}, {\em italic text} and {\bi bolditalic text}.
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-20 16:40   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-20 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 20, 2008 1:54 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:21:32 +0100
> Roland <ntg-context@rolandsiebelink.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am fairly new to both ConTeXt (and XeTeX) but I've already been very
> > impressed with the active user community and the amount of
> > documentation available, as well as with the sheer userfriendliness of
> > ConTeXt when compared to LaTeX. Now I'm trying to get into fonts, but
> > activating a Postscript Type 1 font seems to go beyond my abilities
> > and the wiki documentation on
> > http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_XeTeX . Perhaps anybody can
> > help?
> >
> > I have a Postscript type 1 font family called Eco, consisting of
> > Eco101Roman, Eco102Italic, Eco301Bold and some others. FontBook shows
> > these names identically as PostScript name, Full Name and Family name
> > (which means Fontbook is unaware that they are a family, but this is
> > not the topic here).
> >
> > The fonts can be used with any Mac application and they also work fine
> > in a LaTeX-fontspec-XeTeX combination: the following minimal LaTeX
> > file produces the text as desired in Eco101Roman.
> >
> >      1  %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
> >      2  %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> >      3  \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> >      4  \usepackage{fontspec}
> >      5  \defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase}
> >      6  \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Eco101Roman}
> >      7  \setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Skia}
> >      8  \setmonofont{Courier}
> >      9  \author{Roland}
> >     10  \title{XeTeX test}
> >     11
> >     12  \begin{document}
> >     13          \maketitle
> >     14          \section{This is a new section}
> >     15          Let's try to \emph{write} this.
> >     16
> >     17  Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit,
> >     40  \end{document}
> >
> > On ConTeXt however, I cannot get the font to be recognised. Please see
> > my testfile below, in which I tried to
> > (a) compile it with a self-installed TrueType font (which works)
> > (b) tried to select Eco101Roman directly (which produces a ** ERROR **
> > Invalid font) and
> > (c) tried to select the font through a typescript (which produces a
> > "Metric (TFM) file or installed font not found.")
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? How can I get these fonts to work (and make
> > ConTeXt treat them as a proper family too?)
> >
> > Looking forward to your ideas!
> > Roland
> >

> >      1  % ======================
> >      2  % = Various font tests =
> >      3  % ======================
> >      4
> >      5  %% TRUETYPE -- works fine
> >      6  %\definetypeface[myfont][rm][Xserif][LegacySerifLT-Book]
> >      7
> >      8  %% TYPE1 without typescript
> >      9  %\definetypeface[myfont][rm][Xserif][Eco101Roman]

Xserif will not work if the font is not designed properly (grouped
into the same family). Does \bf, \bi etc. work if you use
    \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Eco101Roman}
in XeLaTeX (I guess not).

> >     20  %% TYPE1 with typescript
> >     21  \starttypescript[serif][eco][uc]

Leave "[uc]" out. It is not needed (any more). No other font encoding
is supported in XeTeX.

> >     22  \definefontsynonym
> > [Eco-Roman]['Eco101Roman:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]

That was the old deprecated syntax. Now the same can be expressed with

% put font name for an installed font here
\definefontsynonym[Eco-Roman][name:Eco101Roman][features=default]
or
% put filename here if kpathsea can find the file in
[texmf]/fonts/opentype/[something]
\definefontsynonym[Eco-Roman][file:Eco101Roman][features=default]

features=default implies "mapping=tlig" (which replaces
"mapping=tex-text") and handles endash, emdash and apostrophe
(ligatures like `? -> reversed question mark, ,, -> quotation mark,
... from tex-text are not present since we considered them
unnecessary)

> >     23  \definefontsynonym  [Eco-Italic]
> > ['Eco102Italic:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
> >     24  \definefontsynonym  [Eco-Bold]
> > ['Eco301Bold:mapping=tex-text'][encoding=uc]
> >     25  \stoptypescript

Same for all of them.

> >     26  \usetypescript[eco]
> >     27  \definetypeface[myfont][rm][Xserif][Eco-Roman]
> >     28  %% produces
> >     29  %%      ./hello.tex:35: Font
> > \*myfont12ptrmtfrm*:=Eco-Roman:mapping=tex-text at 12.0pt
> >     30  %%      not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or installed font not found.
> >     31  %%      <to be read again>

The same comment as above: Xserif won't work for a font which is not
designed properly.

> >     33
> >     34  \starttext
> >     35  \switchtobodyfont[myfont,18pt]
> >     36  \section{Testing font}
> >     37  This is plain text \bf{This is bold text} \it{This is bold italic text}
> >     38
> >     39  \stoptext
>
> Try the following setup, please the field for the BoldItalic font by yourself
> because you forgot to tell the name for the style.
>
> \starttypescript[serif][eco]
> \definefontsynonym[Serif]          [Eco-Regular]
> \definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [Eco-Bold]
> \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [Eco-Italic]
> \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][Eco-BoldItalic]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript[serif][eco]
> \definefontsynonym[Eco-Regular]   [Eco101Roman]
> \definefontsynonym[Eco-Bold]      [Eco301Bold]
> \definefontsynonym[Eco-Italic]    [Eco102Italic]
> \definefontsynonym[Eco-BoldItalic][...]

Right, but use the syntax described above. (add [features=default] if
you want to use endash, emdash, ... and prepend name: or file:)

> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript[eco]
> \definetypeface[\typescriptone][rm][serif][eco][default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \usetypescript[eco]
> \setupbodyfont[eco]
>
> \starttext
> normal text, {\bf bold text}, {\em italic text} and {\bi bolditalic text}.
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Mojca

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-20 17:37     ` Mojca Miklavec
       [not found]       ` <cd7ae9e30801201252k239a94cdteac2368f3b0cc45f@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-20 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roland,

I forgot two things so I should better mention some before you ask.

First: welcome to the ConTeXt community.
Second: you need a *recent enough* ConTeXt (anything between october
07-january 08), but if you take the latest one, then you also need the
future version of LM :) And you need a recent version of XeTeX &
xdvipdfmx.

If you're using TeX Live's version, then:

a) update XeTeX binaries

compile it from sources or take it from here (you can download it
manually from http or using rsync) and replace the old binaries with
these ones:

http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/xetex/osx-intel/bin/
   or
rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/bin/xetex/osx-intel/bin/
path-to-bins

b) update ConTeXt

many other ways to do it as well (you can take a zip from pragma)

For example:
rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/context/2008.01.16/
path-to-texmf-tree-with-context
you may replace 2008.01.16 with any version that you find here:
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/context/

2008.01.16 requres new LM fonts already, older versions do not.

c) update LM if you take too recent ConTeXt (otherwise, leave the
fonts alone) - these fonts are still a pre-release version, so you
should better take an older version of ConTeXt

rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/fonts/new/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
path-to-LM

Mojca

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-20 20:48   ` Roland
From: Roland @ 2008-01-20 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks, I tried this. Getting loads of error messages though, see
below. They are repeated multiple times in Textmate, just once when I
try to issue the command "mktextfm Eco101Roman" from the command line.

     1  /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map
source abbreviation E for Eco101Roman.
     2  /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/map/fontname/special.map?
     3  mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input Eco101Roman
     4  This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
     5
     6  kpathsea: Running mktexmf Eco101Roman
     7  ! I can't find file `Eco101Roman'.
     8  <*> ...our; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input Eco101Roman
     9
    10  Please type another input file name
    11  ! Emergency stop.
    12  <*> ...our; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input Eco101Roman
    13
    14  Transcript written on mfput.log.
    15  grep: Eco101Roman.log: No such file or directory
    16  mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input Eco101Roman' failed to make Eco101Roman.tfm.

This is in a freshly installed MacTex version, producing version
numbers as below:
     1  This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
     2   file:line:error style messages enabled.
     3   %&-line parsing enabled.
     4   (WARNING: translate-file "natural.tcx" ignored)
     5  entering extended mode
     6  (./hello.tex
     7
     8  ConTeXt  ver: 2007.01.12 15:56 MKII  fmt: 2008.1.20  int:
english/english

Any idea?

Thanks
Roland

@ 2008-01-20 20:55         ` Roland
From: Roland @ 2008-01-20 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

Thanks for your two answers. I guess updating my distribution is the
first priority--perhaps that is causing all the errors I just posted
in answer to Wolfgang's suggestion.

I'll try your suggestion and then see if it works, will confirm to the
mailing list once I know.

Thanks
Roland

PS Is it always necessary to upgrade a fresh distribution immediately?
I am a bit surprised that a fresh MacTex from December would already
be so outdated...

@ 2008-01-20 21:11           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-20 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 20, 2008 9:55 PM, Roland wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> Thanks for your two answers. I guess updating my distribution is the
> first priority--perhaps that is causing all the errors I just posted
> in answer to Wolfgang's suggestion.
>
> I'll try your suggestion and then see if it works, will confirm to the
> mailing list once I know.
>
> Thanks
> Roland
>
> PS Is it always necessary to upgrade a fresh distribution immediately?
> I am a bit surprised that a fresh MacTex from December would already
> be so outdated...

It might be that MacTeX has fixed its own bugs recently, but it is
still based on TeXLive and that one has been released in January 2007
(with basically no updates since then). You can use the old ConTeXt &
XeTeX as well, but you will have problems later (nobody says that you
won't have problems anyway :).

An alternative in to use the standalone ConTeXt. For example by
downloading and running
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/osx-intel/first-setup.sh and
then putting something like
    . context/tex/setuptex context/tex
to .bash_profile (or executing it each time when you need it) or to
the place where TextMate can "find it"
(~/context/ is where I have saved the "first-setup.sh")

The advantage of the standalone ConTeXt is that you can also use
LuaTeX (Hans's and Taco's baby, so you have higher chances that it
will work properly in ConTeXt - XeTeX is often a bit broken, but
neither is really stable yet :).

> Thanks, I tried this. Getting loads of error messages though, see
> below. They are repeated multiple times in Textmate, just once when I
> try to issue the command "mktextfm Eco101Roman" from the command line.

mxtextfm is the wrong command to use (that is an ancient TeX warning),
intended for something else.

Mojca

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-21  7:22             ` Roland
From: Roland @ 2008-01-21  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca, thanks for the quick answer.

On 20/01/2008, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> An alternative in to use the standalone ConTeXt. For example by
> downloading and running
> http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/osx-intel/first-setup.sh and
> then putting something like
>     . context/tex/setuptex context/tex
> to .bash_profile (or executing it each time when you need it) or to
> the place where TextMate can "find it"
> (~/context/ is where I have saved the "first-setup.sh")

I am trying this now, with first-setup.sh stored in a new
/usr/local/context directory.

However, when I execute the script, I get the following error:
> ./first-setup.sh: line 18: platform: command not found

Afterwards it does install loads of stuff, but when I take the
following steps as suggested and run a context file, I get another
error:
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>  \write18 enabled.
>  file:line:error style messages enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.fmt
>
> /usr/texbin/mktexfmt: line 336: /usr/local/context/tex/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory
>
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
>
> I can't find the format file `cont-en.fmt'!

Sorry to keep bugging you about these errors all the time!

Thanks for any help you might have ;-)
Roland

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-21 10:49               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-21 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 21, 2008 8:22 AM, Roland wrote:
> Hi Mojca, thanks for the quick answer.
>
> On 20/01/2008, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > An alternative in to use the standalone ConTeXt. For example by
> > downloading and running
> > http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/osx-intel/first-setup.sh and
> > then putting something like
> >     . context/tex/setuptex context/tex
> > to .bash_profile (or executing it each time when you need it) or to
> > the place where TextMate can "find it"
> > (~/context/ is where I have saved the "first-setup.sh")
>
> I am trying this now, with first-setup.sh stored in a new
> /usr/local/context directory.
>
> However, when I execute the script, I get the following error:
> > ./first-setup.sh: line 18: platform: command not found

Sorry ... please change
    platform = "osx-ppc"
into
    platform="osx-ppc"
in line 18 and try to run again.

Thanks a lot for reporting the problem.

(I really wonder how you managed to procced so far that downloading
went fine after that :)

> Afterwards it does install loads of stuff, but when I take the
> following steps as suggested and run a context file, I get another
> error:
> > This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> >  \write18 enabled.
> >  file:line:error style messages enabled.
> > kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-en.fmt

"mktexlsr" and "texexec --make --xtx --all" might be needed, but they
should be generated during "first-install.sh"
I hope that this will be resolved once you fix that minor (our)
mistake mentioned above.

Mojca

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-21 23:00                 ` Roland
From: Roland @ 2008-01-21 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

Not quite there yet. I did manage to install the standalone ConTeXt
without problems after changing the line 18 of that file. I also found
the same error in setuptex, which of course prevented me from getting
the right new mktexlsr and texexec onto the path...

Anyway that's solved now and Textmate and the shell are calling the
right distribution. Guess what -- I'm still at the original problem
now:

** ERROR ** Invalid font: -1 (0)

(though still using Wolfgang's suggested script). See output below.
I'm getting desperate now...

Thanks
Roland

TeXExec | processing document 'hello.tex'
TeXExec | no ctx file found
TeXExec | tex processing method: context
TeXExec | TeX run 1
TeXExec | writing option file hello.top
TeXExec | using randomseed 759
TeXExec | tex engine: xetex
TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.997 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 \write18 enabled.
 file:line:error style messages enabled.
entering extended mode
(./hello.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2008.01.16 13:49 MKII  fmt: 2008.1.21  int: english/english

language        : language en is active
system          : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkii)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-mtx.tex))
system          : cont-old loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system          : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system          : cont-sys.rme loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex))
bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
language        : patterns nl->ec:ec->1->2:3 fr->ec:ec->2->2:3 de->ec:ec->3->2:
3 it->ec:ec->4->2:3 pt->ec:ec->5->2:3 hr->ec:ec->6->2:3 pl->ec:ec->7->2:3 cz->e
c:ec->8->2:3 sk->ec:ec->9->2:3 sl->ec:ec->10->2:3 ru->ec:ec->12->2:3 en->ec:ec-
>13->2:3 uk->ec:ec->14->2:3 us->ec:ec->15->2:3 agr->ec:ec->16->2:3 da->ec:ec->1
7->2:3 sv->ec:ec->18->2:3 af->ec:ec->19->2:3 no->ec:ec->20->2:3 deo->ec:ec->21-
>2:3 es->ec:ec->25->2:3 ca->ec:ec->26->2:3 la->ec:ec->27->2:3 ro->ec:ec->28->2:
3 tr->ec:ec->29->2:3 fi->ec:ec->31->2:3 hu->ec:ec->32->2:3 loaded
specials        : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system          : hello.top loaded
(./hello.top
specials        : loading definition file dpx
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-dpx.tex
specials        : loading definition file fdf
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.mkii))
specials        : fdf loaded
)
specials        : fdf,dpx loaded
specials        : loading definition file xet
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-xet.tex)
specials        : fdf,dpx loaded
) (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
(./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
(./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
(./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
systems         : begin file hello at line 33
fonts           : resetting map file list
fonts           : using map file: original-base
fonts           : using map file: lm-math
fonts           : using map file: lm-rm
fonts           : using map file: texnansi-base
fonts           : using map file: ec-base
fonts           : using map file: qx-base
fonts           : using map file: t5-base
fonts           : using map file: 8r-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-euler
fonts           : using map file: original-public-lm
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-def.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-def.mkii))
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-lan.mkii)) [1.1]
systems         : end file hello at line 35
system          : cont-err loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-err.tex
systems         : no file 'cont-sys.tex', using 'cont-sys.rme' instead
stdin -> hello.pdf

[1

** ERROR ** Invalid font: -1 (0)

Output file removed.

) )
Output written on hello.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on hello.log.
TeXUtil | parsing file hello.tui
TeXUtil | shortcuts : 169
TeXUtil | expansions: 308
TeXUtil | reductions: 0
TeXUtil | divisions : 0
TeXUtil | loaded files: 1
TeXUtil | temporary files: 0
TeXUtil | commands: 21
TeXUtil | programs: 0
TeXUtil | tuo file saved
TeXExec | runtime: 3.39437

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-21 23:39                   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-21 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 22, 2008 12:00 AM, Roland wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> Not quite there yet. I did manage to install the standalone ConTeXt
> without problems after changing the line 18 of that file. I also found
> the same error in setuptex, which of course prevented me from getting
> the right new mktexlsr and texexec onto the path...

Thanks for the reminder, fixed now (it has been copy-pasted of course).

> Anyway that's solved now and Textmate and the shell are calling the
> right distribution. Guess what -- I'm still at the original problem
> now:
>
> ** ERROR ** Invalid font: -1 (0)

OK, but wait - that either
a) seems to be a XeTeX problem now.
b) ConTeXt asks XeTeX to use Eco101Roman.pfb, which might be found,
but doesn't work

Can you try to use just

\starttext
\font\a="Eco101Roman"
{\a test a}

\definefontsynonym[b][name:Eco101Roman][features=default]
{\definedfont[b] test b}
\stoptext

Try to use

\definefontsynonym[name:Eco-Regular]   [Eco101Roman][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[name:Eco-Bold]      [Eco301Bold][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[name:Eco-Italic]    [Eco102Italic][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[name:Eco-BoldItalic][...][features=default]

instead of the four Wolfgang's suggestions.

> (though still using Wolfgang's suggested script). See output below.
> I'm getting desperate now...

There is no need to :)
ConTeXt community is really a friendly one, and sooner or later you
will find the answers.

Mojca

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-22  6:44                     ` Roland
From: Roland @ 2008-01-22  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh well let's try again in that case ;-)

I ran the first test script and it gives the same error (see log 1).
Then I went back to Wolfgang's recommended script and replaced the
second typescript block with your suggested lines (the bolditalic font
is called Eco302BoldItalic, by the way). This produced the errors as
enclosed in log 2...

Thanks again
Roland

====== LOG 1 =========

TeXExec | processing document 'hello.tex'
TeXExec | no ctx file found
TeXExec | tex processing method: context
TeXExec | TeX run 1
TeXExec | writing option file hello.top
TeXExec | using randomseed 166
TeXExec | tex engine: xetex
TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.997 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 \write18 enabled.
 file:line:error style messages enabled.
entering extended mode
(./hello.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2008.01.16 13:49 MKII  fmt: 2008.1.21  int: english/english

language        : language en is active
system          : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkii)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-mtx.tex))
system          : cont-old loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system          : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system          : cont-sys.rme loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex))
bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
language        : patterns nl->ec:ec->1->2:3 fr->ec:ec->2->2:3 de->ec:ec->3->2:
3 it->ec:ec->4->2:3 pt->ec:ec->5->2:3 hr->ec:ec->6->2:3 pl->ec:ec->7->2:3 cz->e
c:ec->8->2:3 sk->ec:ec->9->2:3 sl->ec:ec->10->2:3 ru->ec:ec->12->2:3 en->ec:ec-
>13->2:3 uk->ec:ec->14->2:3 us->ec:ec->15->2:3 agr->ec:ec->16->2:3 da->ec:ec->1
7->2:3 sv->ec:ec->18->2:3 af->ec:ec->19->2:3 no->ec:ec->20->2:3 deo->ec:ec->21-
>2:3 es->ec:ec->25->2:3 ca->ec:ec->26->2:3 la->ec:ec->27->2:3 ro->ec:ec->28->2:
3 tr->ec:ec->29->2:3 fi->ec:ec->31->2:3 hu->ec:ec->32->2:3 loaded
specials        : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system          : hello.top loaded
(./hello.top
specials        : loading definition file dpx
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-dpx.tex
specials        : loading definition file fdf
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.mkii))
specials        : fdf loaded
)
specials        : fdf,dpx loaded
specials        : loading definition file xet
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-xet.tex)
specials        : fdf,dpx loaded
) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
(./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
(./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
systems         : begin file hello at line 12
fonts           : resetting map file list
fonts           : using map file: original-base
fonts           : using map file: lm-math
fonts           : using map file: lm-rm
fonts           : using map file: texnansi-base
fonts           : using map file: ec-base
fonts           : using map file: qx-base
fonts           : using map file: t5-base
fonts           : using map file: 8r-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-euler
fonts           : using map file: original-public-lm
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-def.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-def.mkii))
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-lan.mkii)) [1.1]
systems         : end file hello at line 18
system          : cont-err loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-err.tex
systems         : no file 'cont-sys.tex', using 'cont-sys.rme' instead
stdin -> hello.pdf

[1

** ERROR ** Invalid font: -1 (1)

Output file removed.

) )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on hello.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on hello.log.
TeXUtil | parsing file hello.tui
TeXUtil | shortcuts : 169
TeXUtil | expansions: 308
TeXUtil | reductions: 0
TeXUtil | divisions : 0
TeXUtil | loaded files: 1
TeXUtil | temporary files: 0
TeXUtil | commands: 21
TeXUtil | programs: 0
TeXUtil | tuo file saved
TeXExec | runtime: 5.324055

===== END OF LOG 1 =====

===== LOG 2 =====
TeXExec | processing document 'hello-r642.tex'
TeXExec | no ctx file found
TeXExec | tex processing method: context
TeXExec | TeX run 1
TeXExec | writing option file hello-r642.top
TeXExec | using randomseed 718
TeXExec | tex engine: xetex
TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.997 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 \write18 enabled.
 file:line:error style messages enabled.
entering extended mode
(./hello-r642.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2008.01.16 13:49 MKII  fmt: 2008.1.21  int: english/english

language        : language en is active
system          : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkii)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-mtx.tex))
system          : cont-old loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system          : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system          : cont-sys.rme loaded
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex))
bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
language        : patterns nl->ec:ec->1->2:3 fr->ec:ec->2->2:3 de->ec:ec->3->2:
3 it->ec:ec->4->2:3 pt->ec:ec->5->2:3 hr->ec:ec->6->2:3 pl->ec:ec->7->2:3 cz->e
c:ec->8->2:3 sk->ec:ec->9->2:3 sl->ec:ec->10->2:3 ru->ec:ec->12->2:3 en->ec:ec-
>13->2:3 uk->ec:ec->14->2:3 us->ec:ec->15->2:3 agr->ec:ec->16->2:3 da->ec:ec->1
7->2:3 sv->ec:ec->18->2:3 af->ec:ec->19->2:3 no->ec:ec->20->2:3 deo->ec:ec->21-
>2:3 es->ec:ec->25->2:3 ca->ec:ec->26->2:3 la->ec:ec->27->2:3 ro->ec:ec->28->2:
3 tr->ec:ec->29->2:3 fi->ec:ec->31->2:3 hu->ec:ec->32->2:3 loaded
specials        : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system          : hello-r642.top loaded
(./hello-r642.top
[...]
./hello-r642.tex:31: Font \*eco12ptrmtfrm*:=Eco-Regular at 12.0pt not loadable:
 Metric (TFM) file or installed font not found.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \let \localrelativefontsiz...

\fontstrategy ...me \fontclass #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont \fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                  \relax \fi \iftryingfont \...
<argument> \getvalue {\@style@ \fontstyle }
                                           \edef \fontstyle {\fontstyle }\if...
l.31 \setupbodyfont[eco]

No pages of output.
Transcript written on hello-r642.log.
TeXUtil | parsing file hello-r642.tui
TeXUtil | shortcuts : 0
TeXUtil | expansions: 0
TeXUtil | reductions: 0
TeXUtil | divisions : 0
TeXUtil | loaded files: 0
TeXUtil | temporary files: 0
TeXUtil | commands: 3
TeXUtil | programs: 0
TeXUtil | tuo file saved
TeXExec | TeX run 2
> [...]

(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
(/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
./hello-r642.tex:31: Font \*eco12ptrmtfrm*:=Eco-Regular at 12.0pt not loadable:
 Metric (TFM) file or installed font not found.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \let \localrelativefontsiz...

\fontstrategy ...me \fontclass #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont \fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies

TeXExec | runtime: 28.552661

===== END OF LOG 2 =====

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-01-22  8:37                       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-22  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 22, 2008 7:44 AM, Roland wrote:
> Oh well let's try again in that case ;-)
>
> I ran the first test script and it gives the same error (see log 1).
> Then I went back to Wolfgang's recommended script and replaced the
> second typescript block with your suggested lines (the bolditalic font
> is called Eco302BoldItalic, by the way). This produced the errors as
> enclosed in log 2...

Sorry, I was a bit confused when writing. In the second example it
should have been:

\definefontsynonym[Eco-Regular]   [name:Eco101Roman][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[Eco-Bold]      [name:Eco301Bold][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[Eco-Italic]    [name:Eco102Italic][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[Eco-BoldItalic][name:Eco302BoldItalic][features=default]

Mojca

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-02-01  8:09                         ` Roland
       [not found]                           ` <cd7ae9e30802010011i4227188fwee641ad6da7efb61@mail.gmail.com>
From: Roland @ 2008-02-01  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

Sorry for the late reply. I was travelling extensively. Now I am
trying to pick up this thread again -- here's the text source I used
(with your latest suggestion) and the error produced (see line 100) --
still the same problem I think :-(

     1  \starttypescript[serif][eco]
     2  \definefontsynonym[Serif]          [Eco-Regular]
     3  \definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [Eco-Bold]
     4  \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [Eco-Italic]
     5  \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][Eco-BoldItalic]
     6  \stoptypescript
     7
     8  \starttypescript[serif][eco]
     9  \definefontsynonym[Eco-Regular]   [name:Eco101Roman][features=default]
    10  \definefontsynonym[Eco-Bold]      [name:Eco301Bold][features=default]
    11  \definefontsynonym[Eco-Italic]    [name:Eco102Italic][features=default]
    12  \definefontsynonym[Eco-BoldItalic][name:Eco302BoldItalic][features=default]
    13  \stoptypescript
    14
    15  \starttypescript[eco]
    16  \definetypeface[\typescriptone][rm][serif][eco][default]
    17  \stoptypescript
    18
    19  \usetypescript[eco]
    20  \setupbodyfont[eco]
    21
    22  \starttext
    23  normal text, {\bf bold text}, {\em italic text} and {\bi
bolditalic text}.
    24  \stoptext

     1  TeXExec | processing document 'hello.tex'
     2  TeXExec | no ctx file found
     3  TeXExec | tex processing method: context
     4  TeXExec | TeX run 1
     5  TeXExec | writing option file hello.top
     6  TeXExec | using randomseed 13
     7  TeXExec | tex engine: xetex
     8  TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
     9  This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.997 (Web2C 7.5.6)
    10   \write18 enabled.
    11   file:line:error style messages enabled.
    12  entering extended mode
    13  (./hello.tex
    14
    15  ConTeXt  ver: 2008.01.16 13:49 MKII  fmt: 2008.1.21  int:
english/english
    16
    17  language        : language en is active
    18  system          : cont-new loaded
    19  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
    20  systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
    21  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkii)
    22  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-mtx.tex))
    23  system          : cont-old loaded
    24  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
    26  )
    27  system          : cont-fil loaded
    28  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
    30  )
    31  system          : cont-sys.rme loaded
    32  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme
    33  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
    34  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
    35  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
    36  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex))
    37  bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
    38  language        : patterns nl->ec:ec->1->2:3 fr->ec:ec->2->2:3
de->ec:ec->3->2:
    39  3 it->ec:ec->4->2:3 pt->ec:ec->5->2:3 hr->ec:ec->6->2:3
pl->ec:ec->7->2:3 cz->e
    40  c:ec->8->2:3 sk->ec:ec->9->2:3 sl->ec:ec->10->2:3
ru->ec:ec->12->2:3 en->ec:ec-
    41  >13->2:3 uk->ec:ec->14->2:3 us->ec:ec->15->2:3
agr->ec:ec->16->2:3 da->ec:ec->1
    42  7->2:3 sv->ec:ec->18->2:3 af->ec:ec->19->2:3
no->ec:ec->20->2:3 deo->ec:ec->21-
    43  >2:3 es->ec:ec->25->2:3 ca->ec:ec->26->2:3 la->ec:ec->27->2:3
ro->ec:ec->28->2:
    44  3 tr->ec:ec->29->2:3 fi->ec:ec->31->2:3 hu->ec:ec->32->2:3 loaded
    45  specials        : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
    46  system          : hello.top loaded
    47  (./hello.top
    48  specials        : loading definition file dpx
    49  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-dpx.tex
    50  specials        : loading definition file fdf
    51  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex
    52  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.mkii))
    53  specials        : fdf loaded
    54  )
    55  specials        : fdf,dpx loaded
    56  specials        : loading definition file xet
    57  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-xet.tex)
    58  specials        : fdf,dpx loaded
    59  ) (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
    60  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
    61  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
    62  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
    63  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
    64  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
    65  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
    66  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
    67  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
    68  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
    69  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex)
    70  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
    71  (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
    72  (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
    73  (./hello.tuo) (./hello.tuo)
    74  systems         : begin file hello at line 22
    75  fonts           : resetting map file list
    76  fonts           : using map file: original-base
    77  fonts           : using map file: lm-math
    78  fonts           : using map file: lm-rm
    79  fonts           : using map file: texnansi-base
    80  fonts           : using map file: ec-base
    81  fonts           : using map file: qx-base
    82  fonts           : using map file: t5-base
    83  fonts           : using map file: 8r-base
    84  fonts           : using map file: original-ams-base
    85  fonts           : using map file: original-ams-euler
    86  fonts           : using map file: original-public-lm
    87  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-def.tex
    88  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-def.mkii))
    89  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex
    91  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/sort-lan.mkii))
[1.1]
    92  systems         : end file hello at line 24
    93  system          : cont-err loaded
    94  (/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-err.tex
    95  systems         : no file 'cont-sys.tex', using 'cont-sys.rme' instead
    96  stdin -> hello.pdf
    97
    98  [1
    99
   100  ** ERROR ** Invalid font: -1 (0)
   101
   102
   103
   104  Output file removed.
   105
   106  ) )
   107  (see the transcript file for additional information)
   108  Output written on hello.pdf (1 page).
   109  Transcript written on hello.log.
   110  TeXUtil | parsing file hello.tui
   111  TeXUtil | shortcuts : 169
   112  TeXUtil | expansions: 308
   113  TeXUtil | reductions: 0
   114  TeXUtil | divisions : 0
   115  TeXUtil | loaded files: 1
   116  TeXUtil | temporary files: 0
   117  TeXUtil | commands: 21
   118  TeXUtil | programs: 0
   119  TeXUtil | tuo file saved
   120  TeXExec | runtime: 2.352912

@ 2008-03-01 12:19                             ` Roland
From: Roland @ 2008-03-01 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seems we never posted the conclusion about this problem: XeTeX simply
doesn't work with the old Mac Type 1 Postscript fonts on Mac OS X
(Leopard or before). The reason is that these old fonts store their
data in the resource fork, which Unix utilities like XeTeX don't see.
Only TrueType or OpenType fonts will be recognised and loaded
correctly.

PCs don't have the data fork so old Type 1 Postscript fonts for PCs
(with .pfb extension) seem to work. Just copying these to the Mac is
no solution, however, because Mac OS X does not support PC-style Type
1 fonts (only the Mac ones with the data in the resource fork), and
therefore XeTeX will not find these fonts.

Therefore the preferred solution is to use fonts of TrueType or
OpenType varieties. For those with access to a font conversion program
like fondu (?) fontforge (?) or fontlab (?) it may be possible to
convert the old Type 1 font to TrueType or OpenType, reinstall it and
have XeTeX work with it in that way.

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-03-02 14:21                               ` Jérome Laurens
From: Jérome Laurens @ 2008-03-02 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 1 mars 08 à 13:19, Roland a écrit :

> Seems we never posted the conclusion about this problem: XeTeX simply
> doesn't work with the old Mac Type 1 Postscript fonts on Mac OS X
> (Leopard or before). The reason is that these old fonts store their
> data in the resource fork, which Unix utilities like XeTeX don't see.
> Only TrueType or OpenType fonts will be recognised and loaded
> correctly.
>
> PCs don't have the data fork so old Type 1 Postscript fonts for PCs
> (with .pfb extension) seem to work. Just copying these to the Mac is
> no solution, however, because Mac OS X does not support PC-style Type
> 1 fonts (only the Mac ones with the data in the resource fork), and
> therefore XeTeX will not find these fonts.
>
> Therefore the preferred solution is to use fonts of TrueType or
> OpenType varieties. For those with access to a font conversion program
> like fondu (?) fontforge (?) or fontlab (?) it may be possible to
> convert the old Type 1 font to TrueType or OpenType, reinstall it and
> have XeTeX work with it in that way.

There is a command line utility called "fondu"
to convert fonts between mac format and various other ones.
It is available as an i-installer package, and somewhere else...

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-03-02 19:37                               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-03-02 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some of your statements seem wrong or at least confusing to me:

Am 2008-03-01 um 13:19 schrieb Roland:

> Seems we never posted the conclusion about this problem: XeTeX simply
> doesn't work with the old Mac Type 1 Postscript fonts on Mac OS X
> (Leopard or before). The reason is that these old fonts store their
> data in the resource fork, which Unix utilities like XeTeX don't see.
> Only TrueType or OpenType fonts will be recognised and loaded
> correctly.

As you state later, all data fork fonts (TrueType, OpenType and
PostScript) should work.
For I never tried XeTeX I don't know if PS Type 1 and 3 will work.
Isn't it possible to use traditional TeX-installed fonts with XeTeX?

> PCs don't have the data fork

PCs don't know the Mac *resource* fork.
BTW there are different forks *possible* with NTFS (supported from
WinNT to XP, no more in Vista)!

> For those with access to a font conversion program
> like fondu (?) fontforge (?) or fontlab (?) it may be possible to
> convert the old Type 1 font

fondu is by the same author as fontforge; look at
http://fondu.sourceforge.net/
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-03-03 16:44                                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-03-03 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Some of your statements seem wrong or at least confusing to me:
>
>  Am 2008-03-01 um 13:19 schrieb Roland:
>

>  > Seems we never posted the conclusion about this problem: XeTeX simply
>  > doesn't work with the old Mac Type 1 Postscript fonts on Mac OS X
>  > (Leopard or before). The reason is that these old fonts store their
>  > data in the resource fork, which Unix utilities like XeTeX don't see.
>  > Only TrueType or OpenType fonts will be recognised and loaded
>  > correctly.
>
>  As you state later, all data fork fonts (TrueType, OpenType and
>  PostScript) should work.
>  For I never tried XeTeX I don't know if PS Type 1 and 3 will work.

They do. But the mac Type1 fonts come in some weird format for which
Jonathan hasn't written support in xdvipdfmx (yet). With xdv2pdf they
work OK.

>  Isn't it possible to use traditional TeX-installed fonts with XeTeX?

Yes, it is. But the font that Roland has bought and is trying to use
in XeTeX comes in two flavors: one for mac (that's the one he has) and
one for Windows.

The "traditional TeX-installed" fonts are in the format that Windows
uses (another font, actually) and would not work in other Mac
applications. He would actually need either:
- the windows version of that font (which he doesn't have)
- or a patch for XeTeX (xdvipdfmx actually) that would allow him to
use the font he has (the patch *might* come one day, but there are
more important things in XeTeX waiting to be implemented)
- or to patch ConTeXt to use xdv2pdf instead of xdvipdfmx + rewrite a
bunch of definitions that load Latin Modern (they should not be loaded
since xdv2pdf doesn't support "traditional TeX-installed fonts")
- or to convert the font to some other format (officially forbidden, I guess)

The second problem is also that the syntax to call that font might
need to be changed, but that's a minor problem.

A story learned: it is possible, but any of the described ways is
extremely clumsy to use, so one should better use another font to
avoid problems.

Mojca

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-03-03 19:58                                   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-03-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-03-03 um 17:44 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>>  For I never tried XeTeX I don't know if PS Type 1 and 3 will work.
> They do. But the mac Type1 fonts come in some weird format for which
> Jonathan hasn't written support in xdvipdfmx (yet). With xdv2pdf they
> work OK.

As explained, that weird format is the traditional Mac resource fork
font.

MacOS "Classic" stored all executable stuff in the resource fork,
besides icons etc.; the data fork of a font file ist just empty.
This concept has its merits - you can edit a lot of resources, like
GUI elements, messages, icons etc. with a resource editor. I
completely reworked and translated the GUI of a program once ;-)
That's not possible with normal Windows or other binaries.
The application structure of OSX, inherited from NextStep, has
similar features. I like to poke around in applications ;-)

>>  Isn't it possible to use traditional TeX-installed fonts with XeTeX?
> Yes, it is. But the font that Roland has bought and is trying to use
> in XeTeX comes in two flavors: one for mac (that's the one he has) and
> one for Windows.

Of course, that's why I asked - I've a lot of "Windows" fonts
installed in my texmf-local tree and I wouldn't like to enable them
all for the OS (too much memory).

> - or to patch ConTeXt to use xdv2pdf instead of xdvipdfmx + rewrite a
> bunch of definitions that load Latin Modern (they should not be loaded
> since xdv2pdf doesn't support "traditional TeX-installed fonts")

Since there are OpenType LM fonts now, one could just install them
for the OS.

BTW I'm just typesetting a magazine in InDesign with LMSans as body
font (and Adobe Garamond Pro for the headlines).

> - or to convert the font to some other format (officially
> forbidden, I guess)

normally it is, with commercial fonts

@ 2008-03-04  0:10                                     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-03-04  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2008-03-03 um 17:44 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>  > - or to patch ConTeXt to use xdv2pdf instead of xdvipdfmx + rewrite a
>  > bunch of definitions that load Latin Modern (they should not be loaded
>  > since xdv2pdf doesn't support "traditional TeX-installed fonts")
>
>  Since there are OpenType LM fonts now, one could just install them
>  for the OS.

True. But there are to mechanisms to load fonts: by font name or by
filename. By filename only works in xdvipdfmx and by font name
requires the font to be installed (and thus cannot be made the
default/cannot be expected from users).

If there were enough requests, xdv2pdf could be made optional by:
- providing an extra switch for texexec
- providing an alternative that doesn't use Latin Modern by filename
(which means either not loading OpenType LM at all or assuming that
it's installed)

I just didn't feel that it would be necessary to support that (didn't
know the limitations of xdvipdfmx) when I was asking Hans to write
patches. If there are requests to do it, it could probably be done.

Mojca

* Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
@ 2008-03-04  0:16                                       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-03-04  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 01:10:06 +0100
"Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> > Am 2008-03-03 um 17:44 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
> >
> >  > - or to patch ConTeXt to use xdv2pdf instead of xdvipdfmx + rewrite a
> >  > bunch of definitions that load Latin Modern (they should not be loaded
> >  > since xdv2pdf doesn't support "traditional TeX-installed fonts")
> >
> >  Since there are OpenType LM fonts now, one could just install them
> >  for the OS.
>
> True. But there are to mechanisms to load fonts: by font name or by
> filename. By filename only works in xdvipdfmx and by font name
> requires the font to be installed (and thus cannot be made the
> default/cannot be expected from users).
>
> If there were enough requests, xdv2pdf could be made optional by:
> - providing an extra switch for texexec

IRC this is already possible on a Mac, "texexec --xtx" use dvipdfmx
and "texexec --xetex" use xdv2pdf to convert the DVI file to PDF.