* \definefontfeature and script
@ 2021-01-05 15:46 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-01-05 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

this sample shows an issue with script:

  \definefontfeature
    [default]
    [script=latn]

  \definefontfeature
    [onumsmcp]
    [onum=yes,
     smcp=yes,
     c2sc=yes]

  \setupbodyfont
    [pagella]

  \starttext
    \feature[+][onumsmcp]\tfb abc123ABC
  \stoptext

If script=auto, current latest (2021.01.05 10:45) works fine. If it is
set to Latin (as above), I don’t get small caps.

Besides the potential issue in ConTeXt, I think that "script=auto" may
be safer than "script=latn". Or am I taking too much for granted?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: \definefontfeature and script
@ 2021-01-05 16:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-05 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/5/2021 4:46 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hans,
>
> this sample shows an issue with script:
>
>    \definefontfeature
>      [default]
>      [default]
>      [script=latn]
>
>    \definefontfeature
>      [onumsmcp]
>      [onum=yes,
>       smcp=yes,
>       c2sc=yes]
>
>    \setupbodyfont
>      [pagella]
>
>    \starttext
>      \feature[+][onumsmcp]\tfb abc123ABC
>    \stoptext
>
> If script=auto, current latest (2021.01.05 10:45) works fine. If it is
> set to Latin (as above), I don’t get small caps.
>
> Besides the potential issue in ConTeXt, I think that "script=auto" may
> be safer than "script=latn". Or am I taking too much for granted?
well, ytou get what you ask for ... if you don't set the script you get
default (dflt) which also gives small caps

* Re: \definefontfeature and script
@ 2021-01-05 17:53   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-01-05 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/5/21 5:11 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> If script=auto, current latest (2021.01.05 10:45) works fine. If it is
>> set to Latin (as above), I don’t get small caps.
>>
>> Besides the potential issue in ConTeXt, I think that "script=auto" may
>> be safer than "script=latn". Or am I taking too much for granted?
> well, ytou get what you ask for ... if you don't set the script you get
> default (dflt) which also gives small caps

I have another sample that makes me wonder whether ConTeXt is misbehaving:

  \definefontfeature
    [onumsmcp]
    [script=latn,
     onum=yes,
     smcp=yes,
     c2sc=yes]

  \definefallbackfamily
    [mainface]
    [rm]
    [GFS Heraklit]
    [preset=range:greek,
     force=yes]

  \definefontfamily
    [mainface]
    [rm]
    [TeX Gyre Pagella]

  \setupbodyfont
    [mainface]

  \starttext
    \feature[+][onumsmcp]\tfb ab12αβ
  \stoptext

GFS Heraklit
(https://greekfontsociety-gfs.gr/_assets/fonts/GFS_Heraklit.zip [direct
link].) defines Greek c2sc and smcp for grek{dflt} (as displayed by
FontForge [which I read as: default language and Greek script]).

Adding script=latn works with latest from 2020.12.30 16:45. Altough it
shouldn’t, since it would requiere Greek script for the Greek glyph
substitution.

That trick doesn’t work with latest from 2021.01.05 10:45. Either
script=latn or script=grek. And so are the glyph substitutions I get.

Sorry, but shouldn’t script=auto work for both?

I don’t know what I am missing or whether I hit a bug.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2021-01-06 12:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-06 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/5/2021 6:53 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 1/5/21 5:11 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 1/5/2021 4:46 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> If script=auto, current latest (2021.01.05 10:45) works fine. If it is
>>> set to Latin (as above), I don’t get small caps.
>>>
>>> Besides the potential issue in ConTeXt, I think that "script=auto" may
>>> be safer than "script=latn". Or am I taking too much for granted?
>> well, ytou get what you ask for ... if you don't set the script you get
>> default (dflt) which also gives small caps
>
> I have another sample that makes me wonder whether ConTeXt is misbehaving:
>
>    \definefontfeature
>      [onumsmcp]
>      [script=latn,
>       onum=yes,
>       smcp=yes,
>       c2sc=yes]
>
>    \definefallbackfamily
>      [mainface]
>      [rm]
>      [GFS Heraklit]
>      [preset=range:greek,
>       force=yes]
>
>    \definefontfamily
>      [mainface]
>      [rm]
>      [TeX Gyre Pagella]
>
>    \setupbodyfont
>      [mainface]
>
>    \starttext
>      \feature[+][onumsmcp]\tfb ab12αβ
>    \stoptext
>

> GFS Heraklit
> (https://greekfontsociety-gfs.gr/_assets/fonts/GFS_Heraklit.zip [direct
> link].) defines Greek c2sc and smcp for grek{dflt} (as displayed by
> FontForge [which I read as: default language and Greek script]).

kind of inconsistent:

c2sc     grek     dflt
          latn     dflt
onum     cyrl     dflt
          dflt     dflt
          grek     dflt
          latn     aze crt deu dflt mol rom srb trk
smcp     cyrl     dflt
          dflt     dflt
          grek     dflt
          latn     dflt

so just don't specify a script

Hans

* Re: \definefontfeature and script
@ 2021-01-06 13:31       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-01-06 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/6/21 1:41 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> GFS Heraklit
>> (https://greekfontsociety-gfs.gr/_assets/fonts/GFS_Heraklit.zip [direct
>> link].) defines Greek c2sc and smcp for grek{dflt} (as displayed by
>> FontForge [which I read as: default language and Greek script]).
>
> kind of inconsistent:
>
> c2sc     grek     dflt
>           latn     dflt
> onum     cyrl     dflt
>           dflt     dflt
>           grek     dflt
>           latn     aze crt deu dflt mol rom srb trk
> smcp     cyrl     dflt
>           dflt     dflt
>           grek     dflt
>           latn     dflt
>
> so just don't specify a script

I’m afraid that this doesn’t get the Greek small caps (either with
2020.12.30 16:45 or 2021.01.05 10:45).

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--