* spurious text produced by TABLE
@ 2005-05-15 18:46 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-05-15 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear posse,

TABLE produces a spurious dot in the following (look closely at the center of
the big box on the right). How can I get rid of this? If this is a bug, Is
there a workaround?

Best
Idris

=============================
% output=pdf interface=en

\setuppagenumbering[state=stop]

\starttext

\setupfloats[location=middle]
\placetable
[here][tab:sciences]{There is a spurious dot in the big box.}
\starttable{|c|c|c|}
\HL
\VL     {test}  \VL \TWO{}     \VL\FR
\DL[1]          \VL            \VL\DR
\VL     {test}  \VL \TWO{}     \VL\FR
\HL
\stoptable

\stoptext

=============================

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: spurious text produced by TABLE
@ 2005-05-17  7:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-17  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear posse,
>
> TABLE produces a spurious dot in the following (look closely at the center of
> the big box on the right). How can I get rid of this? If this is a bug, Is
> there a workaround?
>
> Best
> Idris
>
> =============================
> % output=pdf interface=en
>
> \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupfloats[location=middle]
> \placetable
> [here][tab:sciences]{There is a spurious dot in the big box.}
> \starttable{|c|c|c|}
> \HL
> \VL     {test}  \VL \TWO{}     \VL\FR
> \DL[1]          \VL            \VL\DR
> \VL     {test}  \VL \TWO{}     \VL\FR
> \HL
> \stoptable
>
> \stoptext

i really need to reimplement tables -)

patch in core-tab.tex:

\def\!ttuse#1%
   {\ifnum#1>\plusone
      \omit
  \global\TABLEdivisionfalse % added for idris
      \scratchcounter\currentTABLEcolumn                % added
      \advance\scratchcounter #1%                       % added
      \advance\scratchcounter \minusone                 % added
      \ifnum\scratchcounter>\maxTABLEcolumn             % added
        \def\next                                       % added
          {\setTABLEerror\TABLEspanoverflow             % added
           \handleTABLEerror}%                          % added
      \else                                             % added
        \def\next                                       % added
          {\global\advance\currentTABLEcolumn #1%       % added
           \global\advance\currentTABLEcolumn \minusone % added
           \mscount#1%   \mscount is in Plain
           \advance\mscount \minusone
           \advance\mscount \mscount
           \!thLoop
             \ifnum\mscount>\plusone
               \sp@n % from Plain (\span\omit \advance\mscount\m@ne)
           \repeat
           \span}%
      \fi                                                 % added
    \else                                                 % added
      \def\next % conflicts with possible next \omit      % added
        {\global\advance\currentTABLEcolumn \plusone}%    % added
    \fi
    \next}                                                % added

\starttext

\starttable[|c|c|c|c|]
\HL
\VL     {test}  \VL \TWO{}     \VL test \VL\FR
\DL             \DC                     \DL\DR
\VL     {test}  \VL \TWO{}     \VL test \VL\LR
\HL
\stoptable

\stoptext

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-05-17  7:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-17  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear posse,
>
> TABLE produces a spurious dot in the following (look closely at the center of

the dot is a division line between your span

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* gwTeX+ConTeXT+new Latin Modern
@ 2005-06-02 16:30   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2005-06-02 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am trying to install the new ConTeXt version using Gerben't
iinstaller on the Mac.
 From what I see, I have to use the TeXLive 2005 (beta) distribution,
and I have to
install the new Latin Modern fonts manually. The latter is causing me
headaches,
I downloaded the fonts from
https://www.pragma-pod.com/context/current/cont-lmt.zip
but I don't know what to do with them, i.e. where to put them and
what spells to invoke to make them work.

Thanks,

Matthias

* Re: gwTeX+ConTeXT+new Latin Modern
@ 2005-06-02 20:17     ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-06-02 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know not of a LM release newer than what is in my TeX i-Package: LM
0.98.3 but maybe I am not up to date with my knowledge?

@ 2005-06-02 20:35       ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2005-06-02 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Gerben.
So this means that the new LMs are now in your i-Package, this is good
news.
The bad news on my part is that using other fonts like

\starttext

\usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

Hello, World?

\stoptext

doesn't work anymore (it produces ugly bitmap fonts) and I have no clue
what's wrong with this time.

Matthias

On Jun 2, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I know not of a LM release newer than what is in my TeX i-Package: LM
> 0.98.3 but maybe I am not up to date with my knowledge?

> On Jun 2, 2005, at 18:30, Matthias Weber wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to install the new ConTeXt version using Gerben't
>> iinstaller on the Mac.
>> From what I see, I have to use the TeXLive 2005 (beta) distribution,
>> and I have to
>> install the new Latin Modern fonts manually. The latter is causing me
>> headaches,
>> I downloaded the fonts from
>> https://www.pragma-pod.com/context/current/cont-lmt.zip
>> but I don't know what to do with them, i.e. where to put them and
>> what spells to invoke to make them work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matthias

* PSNFSS in new ConTeXt?
@ 2005-06-02 21:01         ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2005-06-02 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

After doing some gardening at the really useful ConTeXtGarden, I found
that

\starttext
\usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[pos]
\usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

Hello world!
\stoptext

which used to work before doesn't work neither on my Mac nor at live @
contextgarden.net.
How does one access these fonts?

(And sorry for blaming gwTeX for this!)

Matthias

* Re: PSNFSS in new ConTeXt?
@ 2005-06-03  6:02           ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-06-03  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know but it looks like a lot of palatino stuff is in teTeX and
thus in gwTeX. Maybe it is just a matter of a map that has to be
enabled?

On Jun 2, 2005, at 23:01, Matthias Weber wrote:

> After doing some gardening at the really useful ConTeXtGarden, I found
> that
>
> \starttext
> \usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[pos]
> \usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]
>
> Hello world!
> \stoptext
>
> which used to work before doesn't work neither on my Mac nor at live @
> contextgarden.net.
> How does one access these fonts?
>
> (And sorry for blaming gwTeX for this!)
>
> Matthias

* Re: PSNFSS in new ConTeXt?
@ 2005-06-03  8:59           ` Ville Voipio
From: Ville Voipio @ 2005-06-03  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> \usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[pos]

> which used to work before doesn't work neither on my Mac nor at live @
> contextgarden.net.
> How does one access these fonts?
>
> (And sorry for blaming gwTeX for this!)

It is really not Gerben's fault! At some point the pos-typescript has
been deprecated (at least according to the comments in
tex/context/base/type-pre.tex).

However, the typescript file is now enclosed in

\starttypescriptcollection[previous]
\stoptypescriptcollection

These might give you some hint about how to proceed.

---

The more modern way of solving this problem is to forget about the old
pos collection and leverage the user value by embracing the novel
typescript paradigm. (Oops, sorry, my marketing-bs-generator seems to be
breaking in.)

The modern way to get to use the free URW fonts is to run
context/data/type-tmf.dat (or, rather, run texfont and give type-tmf.dat
as a batch file). This will enable using a lot of nice fonts in the URW
collection.

However, there are two gotchas:

1. With gwTeX, running the command

   texfont --encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat

at least previously resulted in some errors about unknown files. They
may be fixed with an ugly hack: replace all occurences of TEXMFMAIN by
TEXMFTE in type-tmf.dat.

2. After the fonts are installed, you have the fonts. Nice. But no
typescripts. Not so nice. I have made some typescripts for
Palatino/Helvetica/Courier and SchoolBook/Helvetica/Courier
combinations. There might be something already done in the ConTeXt
distribution, but I have not found anything that useful. (I can Wiki
them if someone finds it useful.)

Good luck!

- Ville