* \setupfloatcaption align=
@ 2018-04-11 20:13 Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-04-11 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

According to the interface files
(texmf-context/tex/context/interface/mkiv)
\setupfloatcaption takes an align= parameter (inherits from
\setupalign). Additionally, it suggests that the location= parameter
can take the keywords tolerant, verytolerant and stretch.

None of this appears to work.

\setupcaption [figure] [align=verytolerant]
is ignored, and
\setupcaption [figure] [location={bottom,verytolerant}]
gives unexpected and surprising results.

I cheat, and use
\setupcaption [figure] [style={\setupalign[verytolerant]}]
but this is hardly a proper solution.

Question: Why do figure captions NOT inherit from \setupalign, i.e.
\setupalign[verytolerant] in a preamble does not have an effect on
float captions?

Question2: What is going on with \setupfloatcaption ?

Thanks

Alan

* Re: \setupfloatcaption align=
@ 2018-04-11 20:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-11 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/11/2018 10:13 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> According to the interface files
> (texmf-context/tex/context/interface/mkiv)
> \setupfloatcaption takes an align= parameter (inherits from
> \setupalign). Additionally, it suggests that the location= parameter
> can take the keywords tolerant, verytolerant and stretch.
>
> None of this appears to work.
>
> \setupcaption [figure] [align=verytolerant]
> is ignored, and
> \setupcaption [figure] [location={bottom,verytolerant}]
> gives unexpected and surprising results.
>
> I cheat, and use
> \setupcaption [figure] [style={\setupalign[verytolerant]}]
> but this is hardly a proper solution.

no mwe exposing your problem

> Question: Why do figure captions NOT inherit from \setupalign, i.e.
> \setupalign[verytolerant] in a preamble does not have an effect on
> float captions?
>
> Question2: What is going on with \setupfloatcaption ?
some heuristics to determine the best width ... so that you still get a
reasonable caption with very narrow figures and not excessive captions
with too wide figures and when possible a one liner ... it's no problem
adding some variants (there are some dimensions that can be set already)
but the current mechanism is not going to change

Hans

* Re: \setupfloatcaption align=
@ 2018-04-11 20:51   ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-04-11 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 22:41:41 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > Question2: What is going on with \setupfloatcaption ?
> some heuristics to determine the best width ... so that you still get
> a reasonable caption with very narrow figures and not excessive
> captions with too wide figures and when possible a one liner ... it's
> no problem adding some variants (there are some dimensions that can
> be set already) but the current mechanism is not going to change

Hans, I did not ask about funny behavior with captions in general, just
about the handling of key=value for align and with location=.

(And no MWE needed, as I am asking a question about the interface.)

@ 2018-04-12  8:09     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-12  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/11/2018 10:51 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 22:41:41 +0200
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>>> Question2: What is going on with \setupfloatcaption ?
>> some heuristics to determine the best width ... so that you still get
>> a reasonable caption with very narrow figures and not excessive
>> captions with too wide figures and when possible a one liner ... it's
>> no problem adding some variants (there are some dimensions that can
>> be set already) but the current mechanism is not going to change
>
> Hans, I did not ask about funny behavior with captions in general, just
> about the handling of key=value for align and with location=.
> (And no MWE needed, as I am asking a question about the interface.)
sure but i want to see why something you expect to work doesn's

tolerance in text/par alignment is just that: adding tolerance and it is
bound to align and it only kicks in in par building and there is not
always a par involved

location has to do with the placement and float as a whole and there
tolerance has to deal with snapping

so ... unrelated tolerances

Hans

* Re: \setupfloatcaption align=
@ 2018-04-12 15:54       ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-04-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:09:58 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> tolerance in text/par alignment is just that: adding tolerance and it
> is bound to align and it only kicks in in par building and there is
> not always a par involved

Why does a float caption not build a paragraph? Does a \framed
sometimes not build a paragraph?

> location has to do with the placement and float as a whole and there
> tolerance has to deal with snapping

Not float location but \setupfloatcaption location (i.e. top,
bottom, ...): relative location of the float caption.

> so ... unrelated tolerances

Please explain.

@ 2018-04-12 16:11         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-12 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/12/2018 5:54 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:09:58 +0200
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> tolerance in text/par alignment is just that: adding tolerance and it
>> is bound to align and it only kicks in in par building and there is
>> not always a par involved
>
> Why does a float caption not build a paragraph? Does a \framed
> sometimes not build a paragraph?

it's not framed ... framed is advanced in the sense that it can analyze
the build paragraph for the natural width

float captions look at the size oif the float plus some overshoot ...
unrelated mechanisms

>> location has to do with the placement and float as a whole and there
>> tolerance has to deal with snapping
>
> Not float location but \setupfloatcaption location (i.e. top,
> bottom, ...): relative location of the float caption.

those are locations of the caption relative to the float

@ 2018-04-12 16:56           ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-04-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 18:11:08 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 4/12/2018 5:54 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:09:58 +0200
> > Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> tolerance in text/par alignment is just that: adding tolerance and
> >> it is bound to align and it only kicks in in par building and
> >> there is not always a par involved
> >
> > Why does a float caption not build a paragraph? Does a \framed
> > sometimes not build a paragraph?
>
> it's not framed ... framed is advanced in the sense that it can
> analyze the build paragraph for the natural width
>
> float captions look at the size oif the float plus some overshoot ...
> unrelated mechanisms

Maybe, a float caption *should* be a frame?
And if it isn't, I am asking why would a caption not be treated as a
paragraph?

> >> location has to do with the placement and float as a whole and
> >> there tolerance has to deal with snapping
> >
> > Not float location but \setupfloatcaption location (i.e. top,
> > bottom, ...): relative location of the float caption.
>
> those are locations of the caption relative to the float

That is what I have been trying to say!

So how does "tolerance" come into play?

@ 2018-04-12 16:59             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-12 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/12/2018 6:56 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 18:11:08 +0200
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/2018 5:54 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:

>>> Why does a float caption not build a paragraph? Does a \framed
>>> sometimes not build a paragraph?
>>
>> it's not framed ... framed is advanced in the sense that it can
>> analyze the build paragraph for the natural width
>>
>> float captions look at the size oif the float plus some overshoot ...
>> unrelated mechanisms
>
> Maybe, a float caption *should* be a frame?

it's not wise to change that now

> And if it isn't, I am asking why would a caption not be treated as a
> paragraph?

because tex then tends to make it the width of the whole text so now (by
default we measure and decide to go hbox or vbox

Hans